Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #641
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This really is the most straightforward and sensible arrangement. Remove the reserved zones, end the money-losing program, and be done with it.

If people want reserved spots, that costs money to implement, so they need to pay for it. I'm not sure what else we should expect.
I'm not sure it's quite that simple. Think of the area around Foothills Hospital, or the University, or SAIT. Those areas are not designed to handle the traffic that would be using them as free parking. I do believe that street parking should not be totally reserved for a homeowner to park in front of their house, but there needs to be some way to prevent side streets becoming parking lots.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #642
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This really is the most straightforward and sensible arrangement. Remove the reserved zones, end the money-losing program, and be done with it.

If people want reserved spots, that costs money to implement, so they need to pay for it. I'm not sure what else we should expect.

Why not just expand the Parkplus system to those higher demand residential areas?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #643
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why not just expand the Parkplus system to those higher demand residential areas?
That'd fall into the "you have to pay for it" option, for sure.

If I owned a home in the inner city, though, I'd much rather pay in the current system or have it be a free-for-all than constantly deal with parkplus.

Unless you're suggesting that homeowners would be exempt from paying in those areas, though... that could work too as sort of a half-measure between free reserved spots and paid reserved spots. Basically a free spot if you live there but not guaranteed. Could work.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #644
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was first adamantly against changing the parking because....and then I realized I couldn't come up with a great reason other than "that's the way it is." Sure, parking near your home could be considered a public necessity so I don't have a super strong feeling one way or another.

However, everyone paid for those streets through our taxes and yet unless you have a permit you can't park there. That's already a bit iffy when you think about it. But then we've been "paying" a million/year for a program to make sure we can't park there? Seems like a double-whammy.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #645
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That'd fall into the "you have to pay for it" option, for sure.

If I owned a home in the inner city, though, I'd much rather pay in the current system or have it be a free-for-all than constantly deal with parkplus.

Unless you're suggesting that homeowners would be exempt from paying in those areas, though... that could work too as sort of a half-measure between free reserved spots and paid reserved spots. Basically a free spot if you live there but not guaranteed. Could work.

Yeah, I was thinking the home owner / primary resident would be given the equivalent of a monthly pass on Parkplus. Anybody else would just pay like regular through the app or by SMS. It kind of maintains the status quo, but adds a bit of revenue for the City. Not sure if the City would make more just issuing fines though.

Just my experience of visiting businesses near these residential permit areas (Capital Hill), where the businesses didn’t have adequate parking, but there was a lot of street parking available.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #646
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I can imagine a lot of scenarios where people have disabled/aging family and friends that just stop visiting them because the constant shortage of parking in some areas that will be used as free parking lots.

It doesn't seem that the street front of tax payers becoming free parking for the rest of the city to skirt intended pay parking (near downtown, universities, hospitals, etc) is necessarily the best solution ether.

Paid permits seems better than a free-for-all.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #647
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The thing with inner city parking - when most of the homes, and when many were bought, the areas were zoned for single family. They were purchased as a part of community of single family homes.
When you open up the entire neighbourhood to multi family, and there is several times more vehicles in the sale space, it fundamentally changes the neighbourhood.
The City is already actively looking to remove parking stall requirements for businesses. Yeah, it’s a risk you take and the city moves in and yada yada yada.
But I really don’t think it’s fair to tell the lady who bought a house in 1980 or the family in 2001 that the nearest parking for their home might be several blocks away, because there’s multi-unit residence on the corner and a Starbucks down the road.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #648
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Hey that house you bought for peanuts during the 1980 struggles that has sextupled in price since you bought it now requires a $52 charge to park in front of it” doesn’t seem that hard at all.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #649
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
“Hey that house you bought for peanuts during the 1980 struggles that has sextupled in price since you bought it now requires a $52 charge to park in front of it” doesn’t seem that hard at all.
You realize that you don't get the appreciated value of an asset until you sell said asset, right?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #650
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I’m sure that $52 will force her to walk away from her house completely without realizing that hundreds of thousands of dollars of appreciation.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-22-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #651
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many homes that require parking permits actually have alternative parking arrangements available for the primary resident? I kind of like the rationale of pricing it based on whether garage / back lane is available.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #652
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the city does decide to start charging for these permits, I think they should also allow for neighborhoods to have the parking restrictions removed.

I know right now it takes something like 80% of the residents to agree to have it added (just went through this at my old house). I think having a slightly lower bar to have it removed is reasonable.

If X% of residents don't want to pay for it, the can have it removed.
That's likely the way it is now so it's not like the people in these neighborhoods don't have any recourse, and if they currently don't, then the city should give them a way to have the restrictions removed.

That way the people in the neighborhood get to decide what is more important. Paying to make sure they have relatively guaranteed parking in front of their house or not having to pay $50/year to do that.

Full disclosure, I don't currently live on a street with permit parking, but I used to, and if I still did, I would likely support some model that would have cost me more.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 10-22-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #653
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in an area with parking zones - I use this thing called a "garage". Almost all houses have them. Instead of using it to hoard useless crap, I use it for its intended purpose to store my "car". I literally never park on the street.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #654
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I live in an area with parking zones - I use this thing called a "garage". Almost all houses have them. Instead of using it to hoard useless crap, I use it for its intended purpose to store my "car". I literally never park on the street.
A garage? Hey fellas, a garage! Well ooh la-di-da Mr. French man.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #655
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The thing with inner city parking - when most of the homes, and when many were bought, the areas were zoned for single family. They were purchased as a part of community of single family homes.
When you open up the entire neighbourhood to multi family, and there is several times more vehicles in the sale space, it fundamentally changes the neighbourhood.
The City is already actively looking to remove parking stall requirements for businesses. Yeah, it’s a risk you take and the city moves in and yada yada yada.
But I really don’t think it’s fair to tell the lady who bought a house in 1980 or the family in 2001 that the nearest parking for their home might be several blocks away, because there’s multi-unit residence on the corner and a Starbucks down the road.
This is exactly what we should be telling them.

The inner city residents like to blame the burbs for sprawl but then get angry that they can’t park in front of their house. Properties should accommodate parking if their is demand on on street parking should be charged at market rate.

Everyone should read the high cost of free parking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...f_Free_Parking

If parking was charged at market rate in front of residential houses it would drive down inner city property values by that amount allowing those that choose to go car free a more economic option. Instead we give away a public resource to a private owner and reserve it for them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #656
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If parking was charged at market rate in front of residential houses it would drive down inner city property values by that amount allowing those that choose to go car free a more economic option. Instead we give away a public resource to a private owner and reserve it for them.
Unless you are saying that market rate for suburban parking is $0, then unfortunately nobody is suggesting that.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #657
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Maybe everywhere in the city people should have to pay for a pass if they park on the street and have a garage or a driveway? It’s a gear grinder to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
A garage? Hey fellas, a garage! Well ooh la-di-da Mr. French man.
What do you call it?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #658
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Car hole.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #659
Wormius