Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #6441
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Did you happen to miss the 2015 first round?

I am not advocating bringing him back but wouldn’t be opposed at the right cost
Yeah I saw it...he has not been that player since. Nobody can play like that long term
Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #6442
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My concern with Quick, along with the injury history, is that there is a real good chance that Rittich becomes the #1. And $5.8M for a backup - even if he is the best backup in the game - is a tough thing to deal with, cap-wise.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #6443
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I should add that Johnny has this year and three more after before he's UFA with everyone but Tkachuk locked up. If the Flames have a shot at locking up a #1 goalie for that period, they need to take their shot now.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #6444
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Well, which one?

I'm no expert, but is it a good sign when a guy has back surgery?
Wasn't that a couple of years ago? Or did he have another back injury recently? I know about the knee this season. And I think there was a groin injury in between.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #6445
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say, as the backup, he plays 30 games per year. How many points can he add to the bottom line vs a decent backup?

Say a decent backup plays .575 and Quick can play .625 (I doubt there would be that much difference). That would mean 3 points in the standings. Three.

Is that worth $5.8M per year for 4 years? (vs maybe $2.5M for a decent backup)

Edit: in other words, Quick only makes sense if you think he will be your #1 (and for 3 or 4 years, not 1 year)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #6446
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Let's say, as the backup, he plays 30 games per year. How many points can he add to the bottom line vs a decent backup?

Say a decent backup plays .575 and Quick can play .625 (I doubt there would be that much difference). That would mean 3 points in the standings. Three.

Is that worth $5.8M per year for 4 years? (vs maybe $2.5M for a decent backup)

Edit: in other words, Quick only makes sense if you think he will be your #1 (and for 3 or 4 years, not 1 year)
All that plus you'd be giving up prime assets to acquire him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #6447
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My concern with Quick, along with the injury history, is that there is a real good chance that Rittich becomes the #1. And $5.8M for a backup - even if he is the best backup in the game - is a tough thing to deal with, cap-wise.
i think that's my concern - calgary will have 68.9 million next year without a goalie and still needing to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and Hathaway

not saying it can't be done, but assuming a 82 million cap, 5.8 million for Quick doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else if the roster stays the same...
Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #6448
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Lots of choices for the short term and none that I really like. My biggest desire is whoever it is it be an expiring contract.

Mid to long term I like Laurent Brossoit. A prime candidate to be offer sheeted if I ever saw one. I think he would jump at a dollar figure on a 2 year deal that we could give him, only be the hook for a 2nd, and Winnipeg would have to let him go because of the cap crunch they will be under.

Signing all their guys, with the Laine and Connor taking the lion's share of the pie, will be impossible even if they let Myers walk. He's definitely worth the risk at a price we could afford imo.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #6449
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Minny isnt in the playoff picture by Trade Deadline, what about Eric Staal? Hes won a cup before, can definitely still play, and gives us 2/3C depth. UFA at end of season and only has 3.5M cap hit.

Jonny - mony - lindy
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Frolik - Staal - Neal
Dube/Ryan - janko - hathaway

Staal can slot into any line as well, very versatile player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #6450
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i think that's my concern - calgary will have 68.9 million next year without a goalie and still needing to sign Tkachuk, Bennett, Rittich and Hathaway

not saying it can't be done, but assuming a 82 million cap, 5.8 million for Quick doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone else if the roster stays the same...
Stone and Frolik can be moved for future considerations to clear another 7.8mil. I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Flames are so close to being a legit cup contender, but they have a rookie in net. I'd rather go into the playoffs with a top goalie and Rittich. If they need to trade Quick later, then so be it.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #6451
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Quick doesn't have a NTC or NMC. Friedman has said though that the Kings will respect Quick's wishes about where he wants to go if they do trade him though.
How can that be anything but bull****, though? First of all if there's any organization that doesn't give a crap about their players wishes it's the Kings. Second of all are they suggesting that they won't take the highest bidder if they put him on the trade block? Of course they will.

Seems like nothing platitudes to me. (not directed at you sureloss, just the idea).
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #6452
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but "real good chance" is being generous.

There's always some random goalie who posts good numbers for a couple dozen games. That goalie more often than not remains a backup than a number 1 goalie. It's probably more likely that goalies fade into obscurity.

Riitich is 26 with 24 games this season. Hammond was 26 and had 24 games in 2014-2015. He went 20-1-2 with a 0.941 save percentage. He was out of the NHL and playing in the AHL in two years.

Fasth had an even worse fate. He had a 26 game solid showing with the Ducks and two years later he was playing for the Oilers - abysmally.

Raycroft was a number 1 for one season, despite Toronto's disbelief.

And of course you got Jim Carey before his acting career took off.

Good news is I could have said the same thing about Kiprusoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #6453
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
How can that be anything but bull****, though? First of all if there's any organization that doesn't give a crap about their players wishes it's the Kings. Second of all are they suggesting that they won't take the highest bidder if they put him on the trade block? Of course they will.

Seems like nothing platitudes to me. (not directed at you sureloss, just the idea).
Well one thing is that there are recapture penalties for the Kings if Quick retires early.

In the final 3 years the salary drops down from $7 mil flat to 3.5, 3, and 2.5 mil.

If he goes to situation he doesn't like and retires early the Kings will have to deal with the penalty.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #6454
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is also the notion that not values are equal.

A 2ns from a division rival is lower value than a 2nd from another conference. You see this all the time in the NHL, it was a factor in the flames missing out on Andersen.

So while they could move quick somewhere he doesn't want to go, i think on some instances if you've got an interested team on the line and quick happens to want to go there, you can charge a little more because it's the ideal situation for the acquiring team.

I think good GMs pay a little more for the player they want and bad GMs end up pay slightly less for players they ultimately don't want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #6455
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik and a pick or prospect for Eberle ~ who is no doubt struggling mightily in NYI ~ is an interesting trade option to think about for sure.

Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ Lindholm
Tkachuk ~ Backlund ~ Eberle
Bennett ~ Jankowski ~ Neal
Hathaway ~ Ryan ~ Czarnik

That is a really good mix through all 4 forward lines and you could easily see Eberle regain that 25 goal pace he's averaged through his career down the stretch playing with Tkachuk/Backs. An intriguing option no doubt if only for the chance to see the fools up north freaking out about a former Oiler catching fire with the Flames!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #6456
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
If Minny isnt in the playoff picture by Trade Deadline, what about Eric Staal? Hes won a cup before, can definitely still play, and gives us 2/3C depth. UFA at end of season and only has 3.5M cap hit.

Jonny - mony - lindy
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Frolik - Staal - Neal
Dube/Ryan - janko - hathaway

Staal can slot into any line as well, very versatile player.

I don’t think Staal and Peters have the best history.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #6457
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
To be fair this was also said about Lindholm and Peters right after the trade.

Who knows what the truth is really.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #6458
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
They are men and they are professionals.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #6459
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
To be fair this was also said about Lindholm and Peters right after the trade.

Who knows what the truth is really.
Same fans that said Lindholm can't shoot the puck probably
Old 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #6460
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but "real good chance" is being generous.

There's always some random goalie who posts good numbers for a couple dozen games. That goalie more often than not remains a backup than a number 1 goalie. It's probably more likely that goalies fade into obscurity.

Riitich is 26 with 24 games this season. Hammond was 26 and had 24 games in 2014-2015. He went 20-1-2 with a 0.941 save percentage. He was out of the NHL and playing in the AHL in two years.

Fasth had an even worse fate. He had a 26 game solid showing with the Ducks and two years later he was playing for the Oilers - abysmally.

Raycroft was a number 1 for one season, despite Toronto's disbelief.

And of course you got Jim Carey before his acting career took off.

Good news is I could have said the same thing about Kiprusoff.
Absolutely - goalies are witches. Hell, I even said the same thing about Murray, after he had won 2 cups. You just don't know with goalies.

But that applies to Quick as well - especially considering his string of injuries. In fact, if I am making a call, today, between Rittich and Quick for the next 4 years, I would bet more on Rittich than Quick.

But it's all magic and alchemy when you're talking goalies, that is for sure.
Closed Thread