Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #5401
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The rumours are b.s as far as I can tell. I have never heard anything except that JG loves it in Calgary. If he leaves after this contract it won't be because he wants to, it will be a cap issue.
He says the right things at the moment, but he has also expressed a desire to play for Philly. Sure, it's a home town thing, but I could see it happening one day. He hasn't really sunk any roots here, either, FWIW.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #5402
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames don't make any noise the next 3 years, I see him traded at the deadline before he goes UFA for a ransom. That will probably begin the retool or next phase of the rebuild.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #5403
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He says the right things at the moment, but he has also expressed a desire to play for Philly. Sure, it's a home town thing, but I could see it happening one day. He hasn't really sunk any roots here, either, FWIW.
Are you talking about a reporter asking him if he wanted to play for Philly and he said something along the lines of its every kids dream to play for their hometown team?

Every player would say that...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #5404
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
If the rumours are true, then maybe Johnny didn't want the extra couple years and he wants to be UFA in his prime.

But unless that's true, and unless you get closer to that date and you aren't a contender, you don't trade Johnny.
Gaudreau has mentioned more than once how great it would be to play for his hometown Flyers. IMO, there's very little doubt that he will be leaving when this contract is up. But that is still an issue for three years from now. Nothing to worry about today. Certainly not to the point of doing inane deals like Kane for Gaudreau.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #5405
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he hasn't and I am really tired of people twisting that. He said when pressed by a Philly interview that it would be cool if he ever ended up a Flyer. He never said he wants to be a Flyer or his goal is to play for the Flyers. I bet every NHL player would say the exact same thing if they were interviewed by their local media where they grew up around the team they followed. You didn't see Sydney Crosby bolt to the Habs when his contract was up. Tavares is the exception, not the rule. JG has stated over and over he loves Calgary and he wants to be a Flame. He has close ties with the young fanbase and he seems like the kind of guy that appreciates how the Flames do community things. It is a team built to contend long term, much more so than Philly. Then you have friendships made and none of us know if he had met a woman yet but if he hasn't yet you can bet he will before his contract comes up and chances are she will be a local. Not only do the Flames have a chance to compete for years to come with a young core but spending his career here pretty much guarantees him multiple franchise records including all time points leader. He is also a marketing gem for the franchise itself, he sells a ton of swag for this team. I think his next contract will be max term with the Flames, too much incentive for him to stay and for the franchise to retain him.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #5406
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Gaudreau has mentioned more than once how great it would be to play for his hometown Flyers. IMO, there's very little doubt that he will be leaving when this contract is up. But that is still an issue for three years from now. Nothing to worry about today. Certainly not to the point of doing inane deals like Kane for Gaudreau.
I recall it happening only once, and it was a polite response to a reporter's direct question about playing in Philadelphia. But moreover, I believe Gaudreau signs with another team only if the opportunity is greater elsewhere. The Flames look to have positioned themselves nicely to remain highly competitive for a long time, and with the high price Gaudreau will command his options to win will be limited, and Calgary likely still represents one of his best chances to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 12-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #5407
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, he hasn't and I am really tired of people twisting that. He said when pressed by a Philly interview that it would be cool if he ever ended up a Flyer. He never said he wants to be a Flyer or his goal is to play for the Flyers. I bet every NHL player would say the exact same thing if they were interviewed by their local media where they grew up around the team they followed. You didn't see Sydney Crosby bolt to the Habs when his contract was up. Tavares is the exception, not the rule. JG has stated over and over he loves Calgary and he wants to be a Flame. He has close ties with the young fanbase and he seems like the kind of guy that appreciates how the Flames do community things. It is a team built to contend long term, much more so than Philly. Then you have friendships made and none of us know if he had met a woman yet but if he hasn't yet you can bet he will before his contract comes up and chances are she will be a local. Not only do the Flames have a chance to compete for years to come with a young core but spending his career here pretty much guarantees him multiple franchise records including all time points leader. He is also a marketing gem for the franchise itself, he sells a ton of swag for this team. I think his next contract will be max term with the Flames, too much incentive for him to stay and for the franchise to retain him.
LOL 'Leave Britney Alone!!'

Pretty sure he will leave after this contract, its not much of a secret and its not the end of the world if it does happen. The only thing the Flames can do to try to keep him here is turn the team into a contender. Winning trumps all else typically.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #5408
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Gaudreau has mentioned more than once how great it would be to play for his hometown Flyers.
Source? There was the one done in Philly where he said every player would like to play for his hometown team. Where are the others?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #5409
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gaudreau is happy in Calgary. He got a dog in Calgary. The dog likes it in Calgary. Sources say its a good boy. Who's a good boy? Yes, you are.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #5410
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post

So I post a well thought out post of the reasons why I believe he will stay and you post this garbage? Nice fly by.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #5411
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Pretty sure he will leave after this contract, its not much of a secret and its not the end of the world if it does happen...
Do tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #5412
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Are you talking about a reporter asking him if he wanted to play for Philly and he said something along the lines of its every kids dream to play for their hometown team?

Every player would say that...
Just like every player says they like their city, the fans are great, they aren't looking for a move... And then they move and say the same stuff about the new place. Guess who said " We love Long Island. We love being on Long Island and we have some of the best fans here.'" And then requested a trade a couple years later.

But actually, Gaudreau didn't just say "it's every kid's dream". That was one interview. He was more specific in another, when he said that he has all kinds of friends and family, lots of support and loves coming back for various events. He said playing there would be "sweet". And at the time (2017) he talked about the Flames having a great three years ahead (even though he had 5 years left on his deal at the time).

I do know Gaudreau spends a lot of time back in Philly/NJ. And his dad isn't always well.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #5413
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I post a well thought out post of the reasons why I believe he will stay and you post this garbage? Nice fly by.
I agree that the fly by was unnecessary

But your well thought out reasons are a bunch of assumptions

'Johnny will meet a girl if he hasnt yet who is a local'

'Seems like the kind of guy who likes how the flames do community things'
Old 12-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #5414
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That being said, if he does start to make waves, or wont sign an extension in the summer prior to being a ufa, the return would be very strong

As long as the flames dont handle it like the islanders did with JT, it shouldnt effect the team, either JG stays long term, or they get back a monster return
Old 12-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #5415
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

I heard Johnny showed up at the Dome for practice with the Flyers team.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #5416
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just like every player says they like their city, the fans are great, they aren't looking for a move... And then they move and say the same stuff about the new place. Guess who said " We love Long Island. We love being on Long Island and we have some of the best fans here.'" And then requested a trade a couple years later.

But actually, Gaudreau didn't just say "it's every kid's dream". That was one interview. He was more specific in another, when he said that he has all kinds of friends and family, lots of support and loves coming back for various events. He said playing there would be "sweet". And at the time (2017) he talked about the Flames having a great three years ahead (even though he had 5 years left on his deal at the time).

I do know Gaudreau spends a lot of time back in Philly/NJ. And his dad isn't always well.
Exactly this. Every player will always say great things and how happy they are, wherever they are playing. I am sure he likes Calgary and is happy to be here, furthermore doesnt want out at the moment. But that can change at any moment.

Nothwithstanding the fact he doesnt stay here in the off season. So, unless he marries a local gal and decides to make strong permanent roots here, there will always be a chance he will make a decision to want to be closer to what he considers his true home.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #5417
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the "sweet" interview, which is different from the "every kid" one:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/johnny-h...phia-gaudreau/

I agree, this isn't that earth shattering. I just don't think the assumptions about loving it here are any more well established. I don't think he has really settled in like a Stone or Hamonic, and it's perhaps a bit different for American players, too.

Players get traded, or even sign elsewhere after long careers. Ones who don;t are the exception. We make assumptions about how Flames love it in Calgary and have deep ties here, and couldn't play anywhere else. But look at Iggy. He was a die-hard Flame, but was pretty quick to adopt new surroundings, and in fact preferred to live in Boston post-career.

Gaudreau signed for 6 years, and I don't know whether that was his choice or simply a term that made the money work. I don't think we should make any assumptions about what's going to happen in year 5. But that year is creeping up.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #5418
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Rumors and speculation from Friedman's 31 thoughts summarized:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...r-pietrangelo/

thinks the Leafs turned down a Pietrangelo for Nylander trade because Nylander's age and they would prefer someone with more term than Pietrangelo has on his contract in that trade
but Leafs could try to revisit Pietrangelo in another deal

fact that Pietrangelo's name is out there means the Blues are willing to move him

there will be an "attempt" by Fletcher to re-sign Simmonds, but no guarantees

teams not thrilled with goalie options on the trade market
Detroit has made it clear they want a first for Howard
at least one team has inquired about Craig Anderson
not convinced Montreal is willing to move Lindgren

wonders if Crawford and Quick could become available as Chicago and LA look to the future
but says that those teams will be loyal and won't put the goalies into situations they don't want

LA is listening to offers on their D
debunked a reported link between Muzzin and TB
could see Pens and others checking out Muzzin and Martinez

Coyle has been in the rumor mill for a long time and there is no shortage of interest
TB looked at Coyle before acquiring JT Miller

doesn't see how the Oilers can benefit from trading RNH

Bruins linked with Coyle
Wonders if Jeff Carter is a fit for the Bruins.

Bruins have also been linked to Kevin Hayes
Also thinks Hayes is a fit for the Avs

some rumblings that the Sabres might use their 4 firsts in the next 2 drafts for a rental, but after looking into it they would maybe move them for a young player under team control

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-12-2018 at 12:11 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #5419
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

I heard Johnny is planning to show up at practice in a Flyers jersey, rip off his energy mask, and reveal that he was secretly Gritty all along.

And as his final farewell, he’ll burn all traces of his existing contract into a conflagration or orange and black, and fly off to his fortress of solitude in West Philly.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #5420
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure he will leave after this contract, its not much of a secret and its not the end of the world if it does happen. The only thing the Flames can do to try to keep him here is turn the team into a contender. Winning trumps all else typically.
I think it will depend on two things. How the Flames are doing and how the Flyers are doing. Johnny likes to win.
Closed Thread