Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #5241
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW Rutherford said he is not trading Matt Murray in his Sprong press conference.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #5242
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If the flames go into the playoffs with this roster and lose in the first round I would fire Tre.

This is the first time since 2006 this roster has actually been in the position to be in the mix for the cup, standing pat would be an abject failure IMO.
Firing a GM who built a team that can compete now and moving forward for a first round exit would be a bad move. This team was inherited basically from scratch for Treliving. He has signed, traded for, or re-signed every player on this team. The rebuild is over and the contending window is open but it appears to be open for the next 3 years after this at least after this season. Gio is getting older but so is Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington. Our forwards are just entering their prime. Maybe next year or the season after you take the big swing but this year coming off a draft without a pick in the first 3 rounds we would be making a mistake in my opinion.

If they move a pick+ for a long term starting goalie then I would be on board. If they are spending big assets on a Simmonds, Panarin etc then I think that would be a massive failure unless they win it all
Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #5243
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
You aren't "wasting" this season.

As mentioned, you dont really expect a defense with 3 rookies and another 21 YO with NO playoff experience to win the Stanley Cup do you? Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and one of the G's gets on a hot streak that allows for this result, but to plan on it happening because you add another forward is just a fools errand.
I'm not talking about winning the cup here, I'm talking about getting out of the first round.

I want our young D and our mentally fragile goalies to be buoyed by the fact that they know their teammates can help outscore some of the inevitable mistakes they will make. I also want them to gain the experience of the later playoff rounds to understand the toll and prolonged pressure they will be under if they want success. Flaming out in 6 to San Jose doesn't do that.

Quote:
Again, they can address the G situation this summer with very minimal damage to both the defense and the F group AND keep their picks that they have lacked the last 3 drafts.

Also, its much more likely a decent G comes available in a trade at the draft than it will be at the deadline...and if that's the road BT wants to travel vs signing a pure UFA, then you need some chattel to bargain with...namely draft picks.
This to me is the only reason to keep the high picks this year; if Tre thinks/knows he can swing a deal at the draft for a bonafide legit starter, but even in that scenario you're presenting, the Flames still end up not picking high in the draft. To me, that's a foregone conclusion now, so best to get something for those picks by spending them as early or as efficiently as you can.

Otherwise, roll the dice on Wayne Simmonds or Kevin Hayes or Derrick Brassard and see if you can get a series win out of it.

The flames will have roster decisions to make this offseason regardless.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #5244
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Firing a GM who built a team that can compete now and moving forward for a first round exit would be a bad move. This team was inherited basically from scratch for Treliving. He has signed, traded for, or re-signed every player on this team. The rebuild is over and the contending window is open but it appears to be open for the next 3 years after this at least after this season. Gio is getting older but so is Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington. Our forwards are just entering their prime. Maybe next year or the season after you take the big swing but this year coming off a draft without a pick in the first 3 rounds we would be making a mistake in my opinion.

If they move a pick+ for a long term starting goalie then I would be on board. If they are spending big assets on a Simmonds, Panarin etc then I think that would be a massive failure unless they win it all
You're under-valuing Gio man. Without him, this team is a gong show on D and would barely be a playoff contender, let alone a cup contender. He's 35. How many more years can he play like this? Is he a Nick Lidstrom? Maybe. But I don't want to take that chance. This year could be the best chance for a cup. He is not replaceable through trade or free agency. (Valimaki could be his replacement, but it's gonna take a loooooong time) We need to win with him NOW (this or next). IMO of course.

The other option of course would be, if you don't want to go for it this year, you trade Gio at the deadline and get a house and a home back. Our core is young enough that the young players coming back could fit in nicely. It's a tough call. I really doubt the Flames would ever do it though and I'd prefer to see him hoist the cup here. He deserves it.

Last edited by Phagoof; 12-03-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #5245
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What if the best thing to do with those picks is actually use them to draft players? Trying to add pieces at the deadline does not usually go well, unless its adding a 3rd liner or a bottom pairing D man.

The thought of trading picks for some playoff help is scary to me. I think you end up further behind in the not-too-distant future. This smells like the last years of D Sutter, mortgaging the future to desperately try and win a few games now.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #5246
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What if the best thing to do with those picks is actually use them to draft players? Trying to add pieces at the deadline does not usually go well, unless its adding a 3rd liner or a bottom pairing D man.

The thought of trading picks for some playoff help is scary to me. I think you end up further behind in the not-too-distant future. This smells like the last years of D Sutter, mortgaging the future to desperately try and win a few games now.

Totally different, that core was past it's prime and we were trying to create something out of nothing. It was a totally bungled situation by Sutter and then Feaster. This team is in the midst of their primes and is actually a legit contender. Totally different scenario.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #5247
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
You're under-valuing Gio man. Without him, this team is a gong show on D and would barely be a playoff contender, let alone a cup contender. He's 35. How many more years can he play like this? Is he a Nick Lidstrom? Maybe. But I don't want to take that chance. This year could be the best chance for a cup. He is not replaceable through trade or free agency. (Valimaki could be his replacement, but it's gonna take a loooooong time) We need to win with him NOW (this or next). IMO of course.

The other option of course would be, if you don't want to go for it this year, you trade Gio at the deadline and get a house and a home back. Our core is young enough that the young players coming back could fit in nicely. It's a tough call. I really doubt the Flames would ever do it though and I'd prefer to see him hoist the cup here. He deserves it.
Good news Gio is locked in for 3 more seasons after this year! People calling for him to fall off a cliff any day and it hasn’t happened yet. I think we have 4 Dmen 22 or younger that will step up to transition from Gio to a Hanifin/Valimaki lead defense.

I am sorry but it is not all or nothing this year and you will not sell me on that narrative you are trying to create here. You are basically saying we should sell the farm for Panarin or trade Gio for futures. The Flames could do a subtle move or two at the deadline to add some more depth but by no means do they need to swing big.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #5248
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Good news Gio is locked in for 3 more seasons after this year! People calling for him to fall off a cliff any day and it hasn’t happened yet. I think we have 4 Dmen 22 or younger that will step up to transition from Gio to a Hanifin/Valimaki lead defense.

I am sorry but it is not all or nothing this year and you will not sell me on that narrative you are trying to create here. You are basically saying we should sell the farm for Panarin or trade Gio for futures. The Flames could do a subtle move or two at the deadline to add some more depth but by no means do they need to swing big.
I totally understand where you're coming from and you could 100% be right.

For me though, I'm just so tired of Flames mediocrity. I'd like us to do something big and make a splash in the post season.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #5249
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
I totally understand where you're coming from and you could 100% be right.

For me though, I'm just so tired of Flames mediocrity. I'd like us to do something big and make a splash in the post season.
I hear you and typically I am a huge fan of big trades. I just want this window to remain open longer than a year or two. I also believe in the current roster and don’t see a huge hole anywhere with the exception of goaltending (which is starting to look better). I don’t think this team is mediocre and I think they are emerging as one of the top 3-4 teams in the West.

I would rather bank on James Neal and Sam Bennett ramping up their ppg come playoff time than trade picks for short term help. Again it would be different if we could keep the player we acquire but if it is a big fish we likely can’t do that unless another core player is moved this summer.

I think the Flames were likely the most active team in the summer. The biggest hockey trade of the summer, multiple UFA signings (including s high profile deal for Neal) and a coaching change. The team came together relatively fast but I still think there is room to grow and that makes me more confident in this group. If we can get Panarin for the same price the Habs paid for Vanek years ago then sure but they likely keep him unless a team trades their 1st and a top prospect.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #5250
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
When you have a team that can contend now in a cap world, you need to go all out to win now. 3-4 years down the road, when your UFA's will become more expensive and depth is hard to keep due to cost, those draft picks will likely help but won't be enough.

Spend it now, and try to win. of course there is no guarantee, but you need to increase your chances. Calgary may well be a legitimate goalie away from being a serious contender. They need to spend whatever it takes to get him.
There are spending now and trying to win now. But they aren't in a position to completely destroy the team only 4 years out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #5251
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
In the 2016-2017 season they traded their 2017 first round draft for Eaves.* In 2016-2017 they also went to the conference finals.
And we traded our 1st this year, and may yet go to the conference finals. What's your point?
Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #5252
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I am being consistent.

You accumulate picks when you are bad and spend picks when you are good, and once your window to compete is over you trade good players for an abundance of picks and start over.

Honestly, when Gaudreau's contract is over I don't want the flames to re-sign him. I don't want to be the equiavlent of the ducks or what was the canucks or the Country Club flames years. I want the team to win now while they are good and tear down when they are bad.

If there is a 6'4 point producing centre out there to be had, I want him. If there is a hard nosed goal scoring winger out there to be had, I want them.

Evander Kane was moved last year for a conditional 1st and a conditional 4th. If that deal is out there the flames would be idiots not to pull the trigger with the roster in the shape it's in this year, not holding on so they can draft a guy at #22 overall who doesn't play his first game until Giordano's jersey gets added to forever a flame.

If there was any year to be pulling the trigger on a high priced pending UFA it is when the team is paying Tkachuk peanuts. Next year, this team doesn't have that flexibility anymore, and you're talking new contracts for Brodie and Hamonic on top of it.

This is the year.
This is not the ONLY year. This is the FIRST year. You can't shout your whole wad the first time the team gets good. A little balance is okay.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #5253
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you want to draw parallels to the flames under Sutter what if he had spent more assets at the deadline to acquire more depth in 2004? Or 2006 when the flames led their division but were a team short on scoring?

"This team doesn't need Evander Kane" - Kane scores 4 goals his next game against Calgary.

My biggest beef with Treliving and the flames has been moving quality picks in rebuilding years. If you want to talk about why the cupboard is bare, it's because of those ill advised moves. However, the flames have been on the end of what is looking like a franchise defining trade that promises to turn that all-around.

Everything is coalescing.

Giordano looks incredible. Hamonic looks incredible. Tkachuk looks incredible. Bennett looks incredible. The emotional centre of the team is feeling it right now. The contracts are lining up. Valimaki and Andersson emerging is breathing new life.

They've been this team for a quarter of the season now and their best players are all in their primes. The team feels and looks like they can win in any game, in any building.

If you're going to trade a second round pick for freaking Lazar, put your balls on the table and attach a 1st rounder to it to get a real effing player.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #5254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
So what you're saying Vinny01 is it's time to capitalize on the low cap-hits of Tkachuk and Bennet and go all-in? ;P
Having a good team is not a one-year proposition (unless of course the GM loses their mind and shoots their whole wad in one go-round)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #5255
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Gaudreau to Philly/NY/NJ/Boston is 100% speculation that Johnny wants to 'go home' to play hockey. Honestly I dont see it as big of a risk as some people do.

One time he was asked how it would be to play hockey in Philly and his response was something like "yea, that'd be cool" and now everyone is convinced he's gone as soon as his currently contract is up. How else was he suppose to answer that question?

Funny how rumors are created.
I think it depends on how the Flames versus other teams are doing.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #5256
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I think it depends on how the Flames versus other teams are doing.
I think this will be a huge factor, and with Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, and the Flames defence locked down for another stretch beyond 2021 I imagine that there are few teams that could compete with that sort of opportunity. Gaudreau wants to win. And if the Flames provide the best opportunity to do so, then I don't expect he will be especially keen to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #5257
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not talking about winning the cup here, I'm talking about getting out of the first round.

I want our young D and our mentally fragile goalies to be buoyed by the fact that they know their teammates can help outscore some of the inevitable mistakes they will make. I also want them to gain the experience of the later playoff rounds to understand the toll and prolonged pressure they will be under if they want success. Flaming out in 6 to San Jose doesn't do that.

This to me is the only reason to keep the high picks this year; if Tre thinks/knows he can swing a deal at the draft for a bonafide legit starter, but even in that scenario you're presenting, the Flames still end up not picking high in the draft. To me, that's a foregone conclusion now, so best to get something for those picks by spending them as early or as efficiently as you can.

Otherwise, roll the dice on Wayne Simmonds or Kevin Hayes or Derrick Brassard and see if you can get a series win out of it.

The flames will have roster decisions to make this offseason regardless.
The year before TB went to the conference finals, they didn't make the playoffs

The year before the Jets went to the confernece finals, they didn't make the playoffs

The year before the Preds lost in the finals, they lost in the 2nd round, the year before they lost in the 1st round, the year before they didn't make the playoffs.

There are countless other examples

This is not a one year thing. Obviously no one wants to lose in the 1st round. But if it happens, the window isn't closed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #5258
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to draw parallels to the flames under Sutter what if he had spent more assets at the deadline to acquire more depth in 2004? Or 2006 when the flames led their division but were a team short on scoring?

"This team doesn't need Evander Kane" - Kane scores 4 goals his next game against Calgary.

My biggest beef with Treliving and the flames has been moving quality picks in rebuilding years. If you want to talk about why the cupboard is bare, it's because of those ill advised moves. However, the flames have been on the end of what is looking like a franchise defining trade that promises to turn that all-around.

Giordano looks incredible. Hamonic looks incredible. Tkachuk looks incredible. Bennett looks incredible. The emotional centre of the team is feeling it right now. The contracts are lining up. Valimaki and Andersson emerging is breathing new life.

They've been this team for a quarter of the season now and their best players are all in their primes. The team feels and looks like they can win in any game, in any building.

If you're going to trade a second round pick for freaking Lazar, put your balls on the table and attach a 1st rounder to it to get a real effing player.
And yet you think we're all in this year, balls to the wall. So I guess he did something right with those picks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #5259
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
FWIW Rutherford said he is not trading Matt Murray in his Sprong press conference.
No ####.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #5260
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

ugh
Closed Thread