Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 AM   #1041
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
^I watched the whole video. That being said, his premise is logically flawed. The preposition he used was a logical fallacy and shows a fundamental gap in his knowledge. Surely people would massacre an anti-vaxxer video with an illogical premise but since it aligns with the agenda I get insulted for pointing it out.

1. A preposition is a word in a sentence which describes time or place, such as "in" or "on" or "before" or "against." Since a preposition is a single word, it is extremely difficult for a preposition to be a logical fallacy.

2. Here is the exact wording from the video:
"But essentially, when we hear a hypothesis and think 'yeah, that makes sense,' really what we're saying is 'yeah, that fits with my cognitive biases.' "

You could, I suppose, make a semantic argument that the word he should have chosen instead of 'hypothesis' could have been 'theory,' but that would be a stupid argument, easy to counter by pointing out that "Vaccines are more harmful than beneficial," is quite clearly a hypothesis and not a scientific theory. Also, it's quite clearly a hypothesis many people have decided "makes sense."

You misunderstood what was being said. This is not a flaw with the video.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #1042
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Likely running out of thanks to all of the excellent posts in the last few pages. In particular, the Thor video was excellent.
Sadly, if I understood that video properly, the good arguments and solid facts will not do much to convince the pro-diseasers that they are wrong.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #1043
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #1044
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Pfft, what does that guy know? He can't even spell Coral correctly ...
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #1045
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
1. A preposition is a word in a sentence which describes time or place, such as "in" or "on" or "before" or "against." Since a preposition is a single word, it is extremely difficult for a preposition to be a logical fallacy.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #1046
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kimmel

EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #1047
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.kveller.com/an-unexpected...asles-vaccine/

The first comment is gold. Gotta watch out for the 'wild' Measels...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #1048
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first comment? The highest voted comments are all completely insane.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #1049
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
http://www.kveller.com/an-unexpected...asles-vaccine/

The first comment is gold. Gotta watch out for the 'wild' Measels...
This happened to my son with the chicken pox vaccine. He got like 10 pox and they were gone within a week. Doctor said the same thing, mild reaction. Couldn't imagine full blown chicken pox for a little guy like that. I'm so glad he got the vaccine.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #1050
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pakistan is now arresting anyone who refuses to have their kids take the Polio vaccine. This is during one of the worse outbreaks of Polio in that country.

Quote:
The anti-vaccination movement isn't limited to just the United States. The Pakistani government has issued hundreds of arrest warrants for those unwilling to vaccinate their children against polio, the latest effort to combat the surging public health crisis in the country. So far, 10 people have reportedly been arrested for refusing to vaccinate their kids, according to local media.

The deputy police commissioner for Peshawar, Riaz Khan Mahsud, told the New York Times that there have been as many as 16,000 cases of parents refusing to vaccinate their children. Mahsud added that there is "total determination" on the part of the police to arrest people if they refuse to get vaccinations, and that there is "no leniency" towards the measure.

Pakistan's crackdown on those refusing to get vaccinations is a response to a growing polio outbreak in the country that is rapidly escalating. Last year, there were 306 cases of polio in Pakistan, according to the New York Times, a significant increase from previous years.
https://news.vice.com/article/pakist...icenewstwitter
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #1051
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Way to go dummies, science wipes out dangerous and potentially deadly childhood diseases like Measles and polio, and your outright stupidity brings it back.

Sometimes I think the Internet is the worst thing every because it leads to lazy research and mass hysteria conspiracy theory morons.

Oh no some quack says that Vaccines cause Autism, rabble rabble rabble, it's on the interweb honey it must be true.

I think it would be a great experiment to put a really crazy thing on the Internet like how the last three Presidents are alien shape shifters who's ultimate goal is to put humans in their fat rendering plants and use them as a source of food and awesome style, throw up some slow motion video with ominous music and see how many people sign up to my online anti-vaccine, anti evil alien forum.

Dummies.

I hate to sound cruel, but if you don't vaccinate your child, and you cause the infection of someone else kid, you need to be charged.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #1052
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
way to go dummies, science wipes out dangerous and potentially deadly childhood diseases like measles and polio, and your outright stupidity brings it back.

Sometimes i think the internet is the worst thing every because it leads to lazy research and mass hysteria conspiracy theory morons.

Oh no some quack says that vaccines cause autism, rabble rabble rabble, it's on the interweb honey it must be true.

I think it would be a great experiment to put a really crazy thing on the internet like how the president wasn't born in the united states see how many people sign up to my online anti-vaccine, evil foreign president forum.

Dummies.

I hate to sound cruel, but if you don't vaccinate your child, and you cause the infection of someone else kid, you need to be charged.

fyp

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #1053
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Law Requiring California Parents To Vaccinate Their Children Likely To Pass

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ol-california/

Party at Ground Zero.

Oregon considers banning most vaccine exemptions

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/250e4...ine-exemptions

Last edited by troutman; 03-03-2015 at 08:38 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 AM   #1054
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This article is so freakin perfect, and the video at the end awesome. Must read and watch!

http://violentmetaphors.com/2014/03/...being-lied-to/

Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #1055
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My mom watched some stupid movie and is now anti-vaccination. I'm embarrassed to be her son after hearing that. I was speechless. Her and my Dad both believe in EVERYTHING they here if it's "counter" to the accepted norm. They don't do any research or accept any reasoning either.

Any time you try explaining why their newly acquired view is dumb, all you get is "Yeah, who do you think paid for those studies?" and "Yeah, that's what they want you to think". It's the most ridiculous ####.

I love my parents but #### me does that infuriate me.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #1056
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
My mom watched some stupid movie and is now anti-vaccination. I'm embarrassed to be her son after hearing that. I was speechless. Her and my Dad both believe in EVERYTHING they here if it's "counter" to the accepted norm. They don't do any research or accept any reasoning either.

Any time you try explaining why their newly acquired view is dumb, all you get is "Yeah, who do you think paid for those studies?" and "Yeah, that's what they want you to think". It's the most ridiculous ####.

I love my parents but #### me does that infuriate me.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #1057
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ My mother-in-law is into conspiracies and all of that sort of thing, including some anti-vaccination BS. Just prior to the birth of our son 3.5 years ago, she sent my wife an email about vaccines, how they are horrible, big pharma, autism, etc. etc. etc.

Our response was "sorry, but that's all complete crap" and dismissed it in favour of actual science. But it brought out a number of emotions that were new for us in our relationship with her. Was she really that gullible? Does she not know that this is a potentially harmful to her future grandson? Had she lost all ability to judge "sources" on the internet?

She even pulls out the "the whooping cough vaccine gave her daughter (my wife) whooping cough". But out of the other side of her mouth, she also says that there was a bit of an outbreak and even my wife's cousins had it around the same time. You don't suppose that her cousins, that she was often in close proximity with, gave her this highly contagious disease? Of course not - that would be too logical. Blame the vaccine.

But despite being reminded of that each time she tells the story, and even after she shrugs and says, "I suppose", you can bet that the next time vaccines come up in conversation, it will inevitably descend to "well my daughter got whooping cough from the vaccine."

Now we just avoid conversations about stuff like that. Nice lady, and we love her, but god damn it is disappointing to see her lack of logic on some things.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #1058
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Study Concludes Autism Can Be Largely Explained By Genetics

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/stud...ained-genetics
Old 03-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #1059
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Study Concludes Autism Can Be Largely Explained By Genetics

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/stud...ained-genetics
Yeah, who do you think paid for that study?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #1060
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

2. Here is the exact wording from the video:
"But essentially, when we hear a hypothesis and think 'yeah, that makes sense,' really what we're saying is 'yeah, that fits with my cognitive biases.' "

You could, I suppose, make a semantic argument that the word he should have chosen instead of 'hypothesis' could have been 'theory,' but that would be a stupid argument, easy to counter by pointing out that "Vaccines are more harmful than beneficial," is quite clearly a hypothesis and not a scientific theory. Also, it's quite clearly a hypothesis many people have decided "makes sense."

You misunderstood what was being said. This is not a flaw with the video.
I didn't misunderstand anything. The statement that all people who think a hypothesis makes sense is a confirmation of their biases is fundamentally untrue. All it really means is that it meets the requirements for a logical hypothesis to be supported by a proposition (phone autocorrected).

I've been to university for this stuff, studied it in detail and have a firm grasp of the scientific process as well as the history of philosophy and the foundations of logic. Again, his statement is fundamentally untrue. Seeing a logical connection between a proposition and a conclusion does not inherently involve bias. I don't appreciate the condescending tone or the insults. It's not semantics, his point is fundamentally wrong on the level of philosophy and logic. I can see the thanks you get because people just assume I'm against vaccines.

I'm not, just see that there's a whole lot of groupthink going on in here. I've received multiple PM's from posters on the subject because they don't want to post on here because they know they'll get attacked. So good job bullying away people so you can have your unified groupthink hate sessions.

Last edited by AcGold; 03-06-2015 at 04:53 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote