Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, cheering for a minnow is overrated. Oh, I follow a team whose games are never broadcast?! Sign me up!

The first few Bama years sucked. Radio and ESPN Gameday to follow a game. I'll take weekly on CBS thank you very much.

Last edited by nik-; 05-21-2018 at 03:08 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #42
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

this is like bizarro world

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #43
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it crazy that Spain went with Rodrigo over Morata even given Moratas form.

Also very funny that two of their three strikers are Brazilian and not Spanish.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I find it crazy that Spain went with Rodrigo over Morata even given Moratas form.

Also very funny that two of their three strikers are Brazilian and not Spanish.
Thats what blows you away? For me its taking Iago Aspas over Morata. Among others.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #45
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea that Koke's last name (one of them) was Resurrection. That is hilarious.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #46
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats what blows you away? For me its taking Iago Aspas over Morata. Among others.
Aspas has been excellent in qualifying and in their friendlies and has had a very good season for Celta Vigo. He was pretty much a shoe in to make it.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #47
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Dammit, I was super curious what had happened to get
Notoriious Honey Badger/Ressurection/ White Out 403 sinbinned?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #48
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aspas has been excellent in qualifying and in their friendlies and has had a very good season for Celta Vigo. He was pretty much a shoe in to make it.
Which is quite remarkable considered he was absolutely useless and well out of his depth during his short PL stint.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #49
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Which is quite remarkable considered he was absolutely useless and well out of his depth during his short PL stint.
Ya, he is very much a different player now and has had a lot of development since his time there. He scored 26 goals in 49 games last year and 23 in 37 this year. It would not surprise me to see him start games in the World Cup. His style of play very much fits with the type of system Spain employs.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-22-2018 at 02:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #50
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always had an affinity for Germans and German culture so I cheer for them in most sports and events if Croatia/Canada are not present.

I'm betting on a Deutsch repeat in Russia and Mueller overtaking Klose for the All Time scoring title.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Croatian cheering for the Germans. I think I have now seen everything.

We get an Englishman cheering for the Germans and its like dividing by zero and world will just cease to exist.

If the Germans win on Russian Soil the jokes will just write themselves.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #52
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Not really cheering for anybody, but I'll be hoping the LFC players do well. Even the English lads.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #53
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, he is very much a different player now and has had a lot of development since his time there. He scored 26 goals in 49 games last year and 23 in 37 this year. It would not surprise me to see him start games in the World Cup. His style of play very much fits with the type of system Spain employs.
Yep, hes the best fit for their style

Costa may get it on reputation but by end of the tournament its Aspas
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #54
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nianggolen thing is crazy, martinez has a personal issue with him

That team if they struggle is going to be a disaster, i think they may not because the one thing they do have is a cohesive link in defense. Toby and verts as cb to dembele as a cm could cover for a lot of issues

But when your best player in KDB is saying how important nianggolen is to the team, when martinez brought him back for a friendly a few months ago after first pushing him out and the fans cheered him coming on in a friendly like a team that scored a 96th minute winner, theres potential for huge issues
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Word is Nainggolan likes to smoke and drink and Martinez isn't down with that. Because if there's one trait I value in a manager, it's self-righteousness.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
A Croatian cheering for the Germans. I think I have now seen everything.

We get an Englishman cheering for the Germans and its like dividing by zero and world will just cease to exist.

If the Germans win on Russian Soil the jokes will just write themselves.
There is historical precedent. Germans were like Croatia's big brother through history and Russia were Serbia's.

So when Germany sneezes and Russia gets a cold, Serbia gets pissed off at Croatia. Rinse and repeat. Germany was the first major country to recognize modern day Croatia and they, along with Vatican, actively advocated for Croatian independence.

What's not to like about Germany save for a decade or two in the 20th century?

Honorable mention goes to Iceland, but they are in our group so screw em.

Last edited by CroFlames; 05-23-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #57
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There is historical precedent. Germans were like Croatia's big brother through history and Russia were Serbia's.

So when Germany sneezes and Russia gets a cold, Serbia gets pissed off at Croatia. Rinse and repeat. Germany was the first major country to recognize modern day Croatia and they, along with Vatican, actively advocated for Croatian independence.

What's not to like about Germany save for a decade or two in the 20th century?

Honorable mention goes to Iceland, but they are in our group so screw em.

Yes what’s not like, except for mass genocide and being the major catalyst in starting two world wars while commiting war crimes that had never been seen in human history. There’s a lot not to like, and while Germany has been very accepting and sorry about their past it still resonates with many cultures and peoples who were victimized by the Germans. Just saying.

Not trying to make this into a political or historical debate, just wanted to point out that resentment towards Germany is far more complicated than just saying “ya they were bad for 1 or 2 decades but who cares.” This was only 70 years ago, many people still care.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I clearly pointed out that what they did for a decade or two in the 20th century was far from good. At the risk of turning this thread political, every major European power has committed atrocities either on their own continent or abroad and that should not be forgotten.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes what’s not like, except for mass genocide and being the major catalyst in starting two world wars while commiting war crimes that had never been seen in human history. There’s a lot not to like, and while Germany has been very accepting and sorry about their past it still resonates with many cultures and peoples who were victimized by the Germans. Just saying. Not trying to make this into a political or historical debate, just wanted to point out that resentment towards Germany is far more complicated than just saying “ya they were bad for 1 or 2 decades but who cares.” This was only 70 years ago, many people still care.
Quote:
I thought I clearly pointed out that what they did for a decade or two in the 20th century was far from good. At the risk of turning this thread political, every major European power has committed atrocities either on their own continent or abroad and that should not be forgotten.
Alright, seeing as this is indirectly entirely my fault lets go with this and leave the politics out of it.

Lets make CP great again! At least in Soccer threads.

I did not start it!

Yes you did, you invaded Poland!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #60
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not every European power did what the Germans did. You are diluding one of the most gruesome events in human history that is pretty much unprecedented. State-sponsored Genocide on a systematic level on a civilian population was not just another European atrocity.

Families like my own had to become refugees and leave the lands their families had known for thousands of years. Not only did they have to become refugees but families were forever destroyed. Both my grandmother and Grandfather had 5+ siblings but today I have almost no second cousins. Do you see how people may still have resentment towards the Germans? I’m not a fan of history being diluted because decades have gone by. This was only a little more than 70 years ago, the effects are very much felt by many people.

Do I have resentment towards Germany? I want to say I don’t but sub-consciously I do feel resentment and anger. I always cheer against them in almost every sport and get sick to my stomach when they win. That’s the truth and I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good