Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Agents say 2018 Olympics ‘very lean’ for athlete endorsements

https://www.tsn.ca/agents-say-2018-o...ments-1.989770

Quote:
Canadian women’s national hockey team forward Meghan Agosta zipped around the streets of her Montreal neighbourhood in a black BMW 325i convertible during the months before the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Thanks to endorsement contracts with CCM Hockey, Procter & Gamble and Hilton Hotels – not to mention a marketing deal with BMW that provided her with a sports car (and snow tires) for 18 months – Agosta brought in more than $80,000 a year from endorsements, pitching products as she boosted her profile across the country.

Four years later, it’s a different story.

Now 30, Agosta is a veteran of three Olympic Games with a job as a Vancouver police officer following a move to the West Coast. She would seem to be a compelling partner for corporate Canada. Yet other than her five-year-old CCM Hockey deal, Agosta doesn’t have any other endorsements, said Brant Feldman, her California-based agent.
Quote:
For at least the past several decades, one of the main storylines in every Olympics is the often spirited debate over which athletes will manage to convert their medals into endorsements dollars. The chance to win marketing deals can be life-changing for athletes, many of whom scrape by in the years leading up to the Olympics.

With this year's Games being held in South Korea, athlete agents said landing endorsement contracts was always going to be complex, since Olympics held in North America tend to draw higher TV ratings and greater local media attention.

Yet in the days after the NHL in April said it would not sent players to Pyeongchang, agents held out hope companies with traditional NHL ties might funnel marketing dollars to female hockey players such as Agosta or athletes in other sports.

That hasn’t materialized, several athlete agents said in interviews. Instead, many Canadian athletes have struggled to build up an endorsement portfolio.

Prominent Quebec-based agent Marie-Anik L’Allier said her client Marianne St-Gelais, a speed skater who had a national endorsement with Coca-Cola during the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. Under terms of that deal, Coca-Cola featured St-Gelais in ads that aired on TV and in cinemas, used her image on in-store displays, and put her signature and silhouette on special-edition Coke cans.

St-Gelais won a silver medal on Canada’s relay team in Sochi and last year won three more silvers at the world championships. St-Gelais has no national deals ahead of the 2018 Olympics.

Kind of sad. For many of these athletes, endorsements tied to the Olympics are one of the limited opportunities they have to get financially compensated for their dedication to their sport.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say I am a little surprised at the fact that megan a made $80k plus the car with snow tires from endorsements

wonder how much CCM pays each of their NHL stars
Old 02-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The question is, how do you make women's sports more popular so that they're financially viable industries? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without any concrete facts or anything, I have personally noticed HUGE lack of corporate advertising and corporate support for the 2018 Olympics. I don't know why but in previous years it was always being rammed down people's throat companies like

Coca-Cola was the proud beverage and thirst quencher for Team Canada!
RBC Royal Bank stands and supports their clients and all Canadian athletes
McDonalds Canada would be sponsoring various events etc

I might have a few of the names wrong but I just don't see the messages being displayed in large amounts on the net, tv, radio and billboards etc.

Perhaps research and data is showing that, and I hate to say this, that your average Canadian may not have a real vested interest in the brand loyalty and their ties to Olympic games they may not watch and for sports they don't really follow?

Just curious
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^ I think that there is something to this. I'd add that the amount of people who have cut the cord has probably had a dramatic affect on how companies are spending their advertising dollars as well.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know I filmed 2 commercials here in Calgary for the Olympics. 1 for Canadian Tire, 1 for RBC. I haven't seen them being aired yet, so hopefully the hype machine gets rolling soon. I would agree about lack of interest however. I knew the games were coming but I just found out this week that they start this Friday ( Thursday -unofficially)
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, McDonald's announced that they're pulling their global sponsorship of the Olympics after more than 40 years. That's one reason we're not seeing a lot from them.

They still have Coke, P&G, Visa, Samsung, etc. I'm sure we'll be good and sick of all the Olympic commercials by the end of the month.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the time difference between Canada and Korea has any impact on the advertisers spend
Old 02-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I wonder if the time difference between Canada and Korea has any impact on the advertisers spend
I think so. Have a look at the GT for today and when those events are (live). I really enjoy the Olympics, and its not like I won't watch, but those times are just awful. I usually love watching events like Cross Country Skiing and things like that, so we'll see when they're on TV. And of course, no offence to Chris Kelly and Rene Bourque, but getting up in the middle of the night to see them isn't high on my priority list with the Flames in the midst of a stretch drive.

Lastly, I'd be lying to say that the IOC begging Calgary to bid and that whole circus hasn't taken some of the lustre away from the games for me as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote