Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #221
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cayden Lindstrom looks like a plausible target for the Flames, unless they find themselves picking in the top 5.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #222
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Cayden Lindstrom looks like a plausible target for the Flames, unless they find themselves picking in the top 5.
I'd be shocked if they didn't
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #223
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I'd be shocked if they didn't
https://www.tankathon.com/nhl

As it stands right now it looks like the Flames will be just outside of that window. A little lottery luck may be required given that Chicago, Anahiem and San Jose have a strangle hold on the bottom 3.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #224
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.tankathon.com/nhl

As it stands right now it looks like the Flames will be just outside of that window. A little lottery luck may be required given that Chicago, Anahiem and San Jose have a strangle hold on the bottom 3.
The Flames are sitting just outside of the bottom five and they had a competent d core for the quarter of the season. Once Tanev and Hanifin are gone they will work their way to bottom 5
Old 12-13-2023, 12:19 PM   #225
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are sitting just outside of the bottom five and they had a competent d core for the quarter of the season. Once Tanev and Hanifin are gone they will work their way to bottom 5
Let's hope! C'mon Conroy!
Old 12-13-2023, 04:40 PM   #226
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I’m always worried about taking players that have way more goals than assists at the junior level. Even Bedard had as many assists as goals and he’s the best goal scorer in the league and was playing with absolute plugs. If you can’t feed your teammates in juniors, you don’t figure it out in the NHL, and passing is 90% of offense.
Strangely enough, that’s usually my philosophy as well. I bet there’s a long list of players who were big goal-scorers in junior, with a ton more goals than assists, who either never made it to the show, or never justified the hype.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #227
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://flamesnation.ca/news/why-the...ng-for-the-nhl

Quote:
the exact number of picks to keep probably depends on when during each draft the picks fall, but you’re probably looking at around eight picks per draft to keep the farm system appropriately stocked with new players. If a team has more than two picks in the first couple rounds, they might be able to get away with seven; the fewer early picks a team has, the more they’re reliant on late picks and need to make more of them
Interesting article on the probabilities of draft picks being signed and how many entry level players can you fit into the organization comfortably every year.

Entering a rebuild/retool the number might increase if you believe that there is a lack of talent in the pipeline from previous drafts. I would think that if you can get 6-8 picks in your top three rounds and you are successful at drafting that you have a chance to properly restock an organization so that you have a foundation of young talent coming up together.

Makes you wonder if the Coyotes will be spending some of their draft capital because they have a significant number of picks in the next three drafts. They already have some good young talent.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #228
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Just my opinion, but if I'm an NHL GM, I'm taking Lindstrom ahead of anyone not named Celebrini, at least at this point in the season- things might look a little different later on. 40 points (24 goals) in 29 WHL games from a 6'5" center who can skate, and is physical and mean (64 PIM). Actual f'n unicorn.
2 goals for him last night against Lethbridge to match his point total of 42 from last season (did it in 30 games this year) 17 points on a 10-game point streak. He's been on a heater of late.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 09:55 AM   #229
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Lindstrom keeps up this pace he will probably go between 4-6 TBH
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 01:55 PM   #230
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I’m always worried about taking players that have way more goals than assists at the junior level. Even Bedard had as many assists as goals and he’s the best goal scorer in the league and was playing with absolute plugs. If you can’t feed your teammates in juniors, you don’t figure it out in the NHL, and passing is 90% of offense.
understandable, and we've been there before. Remember Ryan Howse? Incredibly lopsided junior stats (140 goals and 77 assists over his WHL career), could never figure it out at the pro level.

As for Lindstrom, it wouldn't worry me though. He had more assists than goals both in the CSSHL two years ago (25+35) and in the WHL last season (19+23), he just seems to have gone on a bit of a scoring spree this year.

Outside of Celebrini and maybe one or two others, I'm sprinting to the podium if he's on the board. Feels like a great center prospect to build around and I'd love the Flames to be in a position to draft him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #231
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames would be drafting 6th right now based on points percentage.

Provided Seattle gets going, and BUF/OTT/STL/MTL don't completely crap the bed, I think the Flames are locked into the #5 position heading into the lottery.

And it's not compleetely out of the realm of possibility that they slide into a top 3 spot all things considered (trading Lindholm/Hanifin/Tanev/etc., slowdown of 3rd period comebacks, etc).

Here's hoping for a very fun draft
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 02:50 PM   #232
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The Flames would be drafting 6th right now based on points percentage.

Provided Seattle gets going, and BUF/OTT/STL/MTL don't completely crap the bed, I think the Flames are locked into the #5 position heading into the lottery.

And it's not compleetely out of the realm of possibility that they slide into a top 3 spot all things considered (trading Lindholm/Hanifin/Tanev/etc., slowdown of 3rd period comebacks, etc).

Here's hoping for a very fun draft
Wouldn't it be nice to win the lottery.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #233
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are due to win the draft lottery, that's for sure.

Hopefully it starts raining picks soon too. It would sure be nice to have multiple 1st and 2nd rounders for this draft, and like 8-10 picks total. (They only have 6 right now)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:40 PM   #234
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to win the lottery.
Oh, baby!
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:09 AM   #235
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cayden Lindstrom sounds exactly like a Calgary Flame.

1st in controlled zone entries
1st in scoring 5v5

Yeah, that's precisely what this team lacks and desperately needs.

This is better than Byfield stuff. Gimme.

Last edited by dammage79; 12-15-2023 at 01:13 AM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 01:24 AM   #236
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream draft right now would be Lindstrom and in the middle of the 1st hopefully have another pick and snag Trevor Connelly.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:41 AM   #237
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Cayden Lindstrom sounds exactly like a Calgary Flame.

1st in controlled zone entries
1st in scoring 5v5

Yeah, that's precisely what this team lacks and desperately needs.

This is better than Byfield stuff. Gimme.
Right?!?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #238
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why I want the flames to trade tanev, hanifin and lindholm sooner than later. I truly believe if they sent those three out now that flames could challenge San Jose for that third overall pick. Having the third overall pick would be the biggest asset we could get for trading those guys.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:40 AM   #239
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

A gift from Upside Hockey

#2024NHLdraft Pre-Christmas Rankings:

E-Mac's back with our quintessential #NHLdraft rankings in our unique spreadsheet format.

Celebrini continues to leads the way...

But we have some risers...
(cough, Cayden Lindstrom, cough - big surprise lol)

Intro:

"This is our December update to our patented quintessential spreadsheet format, composed by the incomparable Chief of Scouting, E-Mac. Check out the many tabs/sheets (subjects along the bottom) of this spreadsheet. Watch for features to be added and expanded upon as the season unfolds.

The big mover from our preseason rankings has been creating a buzz in hockey circles - Cayden Lindstrom. The 6'3 centre is lighting up the WHL this season. Defenseman Anton Silayev has also moved up to the top 5. Defenseman Zeev Buium is another big mover, having moved up from 29th to the top 10.

For this edition, you will notice additional tabs for prospects < 5'11 as well as for overage prospects, that is, having gone through at least 1 year of eligibility.
For optimal viewing, you can open up the spreadsheet rankings to a separate page by clicking the icon in the upper right-hand corner. Please enjoy and, as always, we appreciate any feedback from all of you Upsiders.

Don't just go inside hockey. Don't get caught on the Dark Side. Join us on the Upside.

If you enjoy and would like to have a downloadable version of these extensive rankings, simply buy us a cup of coffee (via KoFi), follow us on Twitter/X @UpsideHockey, drop us your email address, and you'll become an Upside Hockey Insider."

https://bit.ly/upside2024nhldraft
Old 12-15-2023, 09:45 AM   #240
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are starting to sleep on Eiserman a bit. 6' 200lbs with mitts of absolute silk. Plays a heavy game and has an absolute rocket shot. This kid is going to be dominant year 1 in NHL.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft