Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #61
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think that ottawa has been a strange place to play for the last couple of years. Zabinejad may end up as the biggest steal of untapped potential, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Lazar come back with a strong season, just being out of that system.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #62
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't believe that to be likely. In the improbable event that this happens I suppose it is possible that Lazar is kept on the roster for contract reasons, but when dealing with young, bottom six players it probably would not make a significant difference which of Lazar, Klimchuk, or Poirier is playing 8–10 mins a night.
I think the significant difference is Lazar's 180 NHL games played. If they all come into camp and perform equally, then I think Lazar's familiarity with NHL compete level, travel, and schedule gives him the edge. Personally, I don't think it's going to be close, and you might as well put Lazar on the Opening Roster in pen. As for where he slots in the lineup, stick with the pencil. I also think Lazar is a tough bugger with lots of energy, and a chip on his shoulder with something to prove this year. I think he's going to have a career year, which isn't a crazy expectation since his previous best was 20P.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #63
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe that to be likely. In the improbable event that this happens I suppose it is possible that Lazar is kept on the roster for contract reasons, but when dealing with young, bottom six players it probably would not make a significant difference which of Lazar, Klimchuk, or Poirier is playing 8–10 mins a night.
From a track record perspective, I don't really see Lazar as any more accomplished than a number of forwards we will have in camp so I guess I would be surprised but not shocked if he gets beat out.

Not sure I am fully on board with the sentiment that it doesn't matter who plays on bottom six. Similar comments were made in the Kulak thread in relation to the bottom pairing. I hope GG is able to ice the best team possible, and is not constrained by contracts etc. If someone is good enough, I'd like them to be on the team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #64
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope he explodes and has an all star season. Just so i can call him Curtis Lastar.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #65
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly still think he has potential to be a top 6 player. I think he's caught a few bad breaks and it's still in him to be the kid he was drafted to be. He reminds me a lot of Backlund, not in that they play the same style of game but for a while I thought that Backlund wouldn't be anything more than a third line guy. This year I don't think he'll be that amazing on the stat sheet but I still see him as a long term part of the team.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #66
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Depends entirely on how Gulutzan decides to utilize him. If he gets solid third line minutes with the likes of Bennet and Versteeg I could see him getting upwards of 40pts. On the flip side if he spends most of his time with Stajan and Brouwer on the 4th line I would expect something in the 20pts range. Lazar has talent, just not enough to carry the play himself.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #67
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazar could easily have a decent year. His first couple seasons were better than Sven's, for example, and Sven has had a little resurgence with a decent centre and some ice time (and without the mono to get over). Lazar will have a decent centre on any line (including Stajan IMO). If Stajan and Brouwer are his "worst" linemates, that ain't bad (Brouwer will have a better year too, and Stajan's a pro who can mentor a guy like Lazar.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #68
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

He wasn't a relatively high scorer in junior and hasn't shown much at the pro level yet. Considering he was inexplicably rushed into the NHL by the Senators, I don't put a ton of stock into the games played column of his stats, either.

I haven't been sold on him as anything more than a fourth line utility player yet, but I hope he changes my view on him quickly. However, I expect him to be gifted some minutes higher up the lineup at some point this season once injuries start piling up, due to his still present draft reputation combined with his acquisition cost. Whether he takes advantage and never looks back, or the gifted minutes are short-lived, remains to be seen.

7-10-17 is what I would normally expect, however given he will be gifted top six minutes at some point I'll say 9-16-25.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #69
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Ferland does not work out on the top line the Flames will be back to rotating other players through other forwards. Lazar likely gets a shot pretty early on in this scenario
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #70
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
He wasn't a relatively high scorer in junior and hasn't shown much at the pro level yet. Considering he was inexplicably rushed into the NHL by the Senators, I don't put a ton of stock into the games played column of his stats, either.
I don't get where this narrative is coming from. In his last year with the Oil Kings he had 76 points in 58 games including 41 goals, which was 12th in league PPG, 9th for goals and 4th for goals/GP. The year before, 61 points in 72 games including 38 goals. What is your threshold for "relatively high"?

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 08-30-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #71
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I don't get where this narrative is coming from. In his last year with the oil king's he had 76 points in 58 games including 41 goals. The year before year before 61 points in 72 games including 38 goals. What is your threshold for "relatively high"?
Stephane Yelle once scored 104 points in 66 games as a junior.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #72
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Decades apart. Junior numbers have changed over the decades just as other leagues have. Bringing up someone that old as a comparable is pointless.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #73
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That's an interesting fact. So we have found out that he was relatively lower then Stephane Yelle was 2 decades before.

Seriously though if your 4th in G/GP and 12th in P/GP versus your peers in the same league in a given year, I would contend that your a relatively high scorer in Juniors.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 08-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #74
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just feel like I need to keep chiming in on the positive side of this thread.

I expect Lazar to be a Flame for at least six years.

It's a silly expectation...but I really like the player and believe this was a Treliving "Wizard" long-term move. We're gonna love this guy!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #75
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I honestly still think he has potential to be a top 6 player. I think he's caught a few bad breaks and it's still in him to be the kid he was drafted to be. He reminds me a lot of Backlund, not in that they play the same style of game but for a while I thought that Backlund wouldn't be anything more than a third line guy. This year I don't think he'll be that amazing on the stat sheet but I still see him as a long term part of the team.
Agreed. I think his bad break ranks right up there with Dubnyk in Edmonton. High expectations + No development time + a team strategy that doesn't compliment his playing style + mono = underwhelming results.

I also predicted 44 points for Lazar this year, and I'll stand by that. But I don't think he needs to be amazing on the stat sheet. If he gets 30 points, I think Brad T can pat himself on the back for a trade well made.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 08-30-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #76
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
...Not sure I am fully on board with the sentiment that it doesn't matter who plays on bottom six. Similar comments were made in the Kulak thread in relation to the bottom pairing. I hope GG is able to ice the best team possible, and is not constrained by contracts etc. If someone is good enough, I'd like them to be on the team.
That is not what I said and the analogous connection made to Kulak's situation from last year does not apply to my opinion here. What I said is that "it probably [will] not make a significant difference which of Lazar, Klimchuk, or Poirier is playing 8–10 mins a night." The difference here being that Lazar is a young player with potential who is jockeying with other young players with potential for a roster spot. Kulak was unfortunately overlooked on opening night for seasoned veteran Dennis Wideman and Nik Grossmann; both of whom were clearly on the respirator of their careers.

It makes a hell of a difference whether it is Lazar or Luke Gazdic playing on the bottom line, but this is not really a realistic scenario for the start of the season. Given the competition I am pretty comfortable with whoever of the kids grabs one of those spots. on the bottom two lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-30-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #77
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

25 Goals and 25 assists after Monahan and Bennett go down with season ending injuries and he centers Johnny Hockey. ahaha.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #78
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I don't get where this narrative is coming from. In his last year with the Oil Kings he had 76 points in 58 games including 41 goals, which was 12th in league PPG, 9th for goals and 4th for goals/GP. The year before, 61 points in 72 games including 38 goals. What is your threshold for "relatively high"?
For a WHL player with high end offensive potential I would expect at least production around 1.3 points/game in his draft year. I am still bullish on Lazar's potential to be a really good player, but he does not really have the offensive pedigree one would expect for a burgeoning top-six forward. I think he will ideally top out as a #2–3 centre/winger who plays important minutes, kills penalties and can score 15 goals in a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #79
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would think Lazar will be seeing significant time on the 3rd and 4th lines this year, so I think anything more than 25 points is pretty optimistic. I am still excited to see him play regularly, and do think he has potential for more, but I would temper the expectations somewhat.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #80
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For a WHL player with high end offensive potential I would expect at least production around 1.3 points/game in his draft year. I am still bullish on Lazar's potential to be a really good player, but he does not really have the offensive pedigree one would expect for a burgeoning top-six forward. I think he will ideally top out as a #2–3 centre/winger who plays important minutes, kills penalties and can score 15 goals in a season.
cool cuz he had a 1.310 ppg as an 18 year old.