Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #4041
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Your point is valid, but we've been told for years now to look at areas like the Philippines as an example of predominantly muslim areas where it is peaceful and there's no extremist views. That is now proving to be false, and the only way ISIS even gets a foothold there is because there are lot of people sympathetic to their cause. The Philippines will end up becoming another Syria, Iraq, etc. etc. etc., where there will be a full out war of ideas with the extremists likely gaining more power, and then a pushback from a pseudo-dictator like Duterte who will create a military state like Assad did.

There is an idealogical war happening with ALL muslims across the globe at the moment. Unfortunately, the war is between bad ideas, and extremely bad and dangerous ideas. There's no winner at the end of all this, but the far left liberals keep talking about the hope of moderate countries like the Philippines in an effort to remain politically correct. It's foolish to believe it will work out the way we want it to.
I've heard all xtians believe in conversion therapy, and hanging witches too.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #4042
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Extremism is a problem everywhere and with every religion...
Zealotry in any guise is a cause for concern, it's not limited to religion. But, religion is certainly a hotspot for zealotry, and moderation certainly seems to be on the wane with those inclined towards religious beliefs.

The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #4043
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kushner might get fired soon. Has been asked to "lay low" for a bit by the administration while Trump has expressed "total confidence' in Kushner.

Quote:
Back on his home turf after an eight-day foreign trip, President Donald Trump is once again facing down controversy — and now it's hitting close to home.

Trump was greeted on U.S. soil by new reports involving his son-in-law-turned-senior White House adviser, Jared Kushner. NBC News reported Thursday that Kushner has come under FBI scrutiny in the Russia investigation, with multiple officials telling NBC News that investigators believe Kushner has significant information relevant to their inquiry. That doesn't mean, however, that they suspect him of a crime or intend to charge him.

A source familiar with the thinking inside the White House told NBC News that a few individuals have even suggested to Kushner that he should "lay low," in the aftermath of those reports and new revelations that he sought to set up a secret back-channel with Russia. Separately, a White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told NBC News that at least one staffer was speechless when they learned about reports of a purported Russia back channel.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...support-238913
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...e-says-n765686

Just a reminder of other people Trump has had total confidence in from Reddit
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #4044
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe there is hope for the future, 13 year olds recognize the Republicans are not working in their best interest.

These 8th graders from New Jersey refused to be photographed with Paul Ryan

Quote:
But a group from South Orange Middle School in New Jersey will probably remember their trip to the nation’s capital last week for another reason: It was the occasion for a pointed snub of House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wisconsin).

About half of the roughly 150 students on the trip refused to have their photo taken with Ryan when he briefly joined them outside the capitol Thursday. Instead, they stood across the street while Ryan posed with their peers.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...m5K?li=AAggFp5
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #4045
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Imagine if the guy who loves chaos, Bannon, is one of the leaks lool
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #4046
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Also a must see, Frontline's new doc, Bannon's War

Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #4047
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Extremism is a problem everywhere and with every religion. This is not isolated to Islam. The largest terror threat the the United States is still homegrown, and much of it from Christian Nationalists.
"In the United States". That's because the bulk of the population is Christian, by a vast majority too. Of course any local US terror threats will fall under the guise of Christianity. Tell me though, are they threatening legitimately elected governments, taking over entire municipalities and regions, enforcing their own set of laws that are not the laws of the land, killing entire groups of people that they consider to be immoral...etc. etc. etc.?

It is NOT the same thing, and I hate false equivalencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I've heard all xtians believe in conversion therapy, and hanging witches too.
False equivalency again. How many Christian armies are currently warring with governments and entire regional populations? How many terrorist activities are being done in the name of christianity?

Christianity went through its own reformation a few hundred years back, and now live in harmony with most governments, although there are still conflicts of interest now and again. Most of the archaic beliefs have been left behind for most christians, and this is why there is mostly a harmony between christians and the rest of the world. There was also a time where christianity committed some of the most heinous and violent acts in history in the name of the church.

Islam is going through a violent version of a reformation, and it's a problem for the entire world due to globalized interactions. If this had happened a few hundred years ago, the problems would have been very localized. However, fundamentalism has created a similar system to the inquisition that the catholic church went through. Conformity at all costs, or we will force you to conform to our ideology.

I'm a staunch liberal, but I thinks liberals are too afraid to call this what it is for fear of "hate speech" or not being politically correct. The problem is, this is not an affair that the Western world can really get involved in because it's largely an internal struggle within the faith. Yet, the conflict spills over into our world just because of global interactions, so we then have to deal with it because lives are at stake. It sucks. It's a lose-lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

Just don't tell me that there's no problems in Islam. It's not the reality, even though we want it to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #4048
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Maybe there is hope for the future, 13 year olds recognize the Republicans are not working in their best interest.

These 8th graders from New Jersey refused to be photographed with Paul Ryan

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...m5K?li=AAggFp5
Yuck - I kind of see that differently. These grade 8 students have already chosen their tribes - R or D - and will never again examine anything without a blue or red lens.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #4049
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Yuck - I kind of see that differently. These grade 8 students have already chosen their tribes - R or D - and will never again examine anything without a blue or red lens.
not really, sounds like the kids do think about it and know what they're talking about and don't fall for the racism and xenophobia their parents do...

Quote:
Matthew Malespina, 13, said in an interview Sunday that he chose not to be photographed with Ryan because he disagreed with the policies the speaker and his party are pushing on health care, among other things.

“I don’t want to be associated with a man who puts his party before his country,” Matthew said. “I don’t like to take a picture with somebody that I can’t associate with. Let’s say somebody is not nice to me at school, for example. I wouldn’t take a picture with them, probably.”
Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #4050
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I bet their parents colluded to make them do that, 75 8th graders do not voluntarily band together to make a political statement without control room oversight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #4051
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
False equivalency again. How many Christian armies are currently warring with governments and entire regional populations? How many terrorist activities are being done in the name of christianity?
So, these are Muslim armies?

and change christianity to religion, and there are plenty.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #4052
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would you call insurgent groups, especially large ones, that fight in the name of their religion?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #4053
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Just don't tell me that there's no problems in Islam. It's not the reality, even though we want it to be.
I don't think anyone is saying there're no problems in Islam. Nobody. Extreme strawman.

The most any of us can do is try to understand the situation within Islam - and within different parts of the world - that have let abhorrent beliefs fester and perpetuated violence. If the simple argument is made: "it's because of Islam!" that's just as ridiculous as saying there's nothing wrong in the global Islamic community.

I have just seen three or four pages discussing the problems in the Philippines with zero historical context given: "see, there're Muslim terrorists there too!" That particular conflict is decades old and has had atrocities committed on both sides. It's complicated, like most things.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #4054
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #4055
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"In the United States". That's because the bulk of the population is Christian, by a vast majority too. Of course any local US terror threats will fall under the guise of Christianity. Tell me though, are they threatening legitimately elected governments, taking over entire municipalities and regions, enforcing their own set of laws that are not the laws of the land, killing entire groups of people that they consider to be immoral...etc. etc. etc.?

It is NOT the same thing, and I hate false equivalencies.

Christianity went through its own reformation a few hundred years back, and now live in harmony with most governments, although there are still conflicts of interest now and again. Most of the archaic beliefs have been left behind for most christians, and this is why there is mostly a harmony between christians and the rest of the world. There was also a time where christianity committed some of the most heinous and violent acts in history in the name of the church.

Islam is going through a violent version of a reformation, and it's a problem for the entire world due to globalized interactions. If this had happened a few hundred years ago, the problems would have been very localized. However, fundamentalism has created a similar system to the inquisition that the catholic church went through. Conformity at all costs, or we will force you to conform to our ideology.

I'm a staunch liberal, but I thinks liberals are too afraid to call this what it is for fear of "hate speech" or not being politically correct. The problem is, this is not an affair that the Western world can really get involved in because it's largely an internal struggle within the faith. Yet, the conflict spills over into our world just because of global interactions, so we then have to deal with it because lives are at stake. It sucks. It's a lose-lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

Well, we do have several contemporary examples of violent and primarily Christian insurgencies in Central African Republic, Uganda, India and, of course, the United States. Although certainly these examples are fewer than similar examples of primarily Muslim insurgencies.

I think comparisons are very complex. For example, the differences in development between the Islamic world and the Christian world are stark (and the causal relationship between religion and development is not at all clear.)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #4056
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay, online warriors get another chance to prove how they have almost zero understanding of a topic and endlessly quote the same useless stuff in completely wrong contexts.

Any discussion having to do with "western liberals" has absolutely zero to do with war against ISIS in southern Philippines. If you're too stupid to understand that, you're pretty ####ing stupid or too much of a bigot to care. There is no third option.

Also, not American politics

Last edited by Itse; 05-29-2017 at 10:43 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #4057
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
What the actual ####?

So, you're just going to ignore all the Filippine Muslims who are right now currently fighting against the ISIS there? Like literally fighting, with bullets and bombs and stuff. It's not like they're just letting this happen.

What more could you possibly ask than people literally willing to put their lives on the line to stop ISIS from spreading?
I think some people might not be aware that the one thing worse than a non-Muslim to ISIS extremists, are Muslims that they view as apostates. So basically any Muslim that interprets their beliefs in a more modern non-literal liberal fashion. Being "ignorant" if Islam is less of a crime than being a Muslim who does not behave in a way that they consider appropriate.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #4058
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yay, online warriors get another chance to prove how they have almost zero understanding of a topic and endlessly quote the same useless stuff in completely wrong contexts.

Any discussion having to do with "western liberals" has absolutely zero to do with war against ISIS in southern Philippines. If you're too stupid to understand that, you're pretty ####ing stupid or too much of a bigot to care. There is no third option.

Also, not American politics
You might want to back that up with some specific points or perhaps delete this post. You're painting with pretty broad strokes here.

I acknowledged your point earlier, but I'm speaking about the how Islam is discussed in the western world, and what boils down to liberalism apologizing for the flaws and faults in Islam instead of recognizing them and discussing the state of the religion as it currently exists.

And it's hard to be a bigot if you don't have a horse in the race...other than humanity. I would describe myself as a secular agnostic who believes in freedom of thought over imposing a singular ideology. If you can explain how that makes me a bigot, I'll listen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #4059
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #4060
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Always fun to laugh at Ted Cruz loool
And you guys thought the worst thing to come out of Calgary was this.

Ted Cruz proves you wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms