Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #221
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Can this talking point ####ing die already?

What game were you watching? It's the Avs speed that the Flames had no answer for tonight.

The days of the LA Kings gooning it up in the 8th seed are gone. Hockey is about speed and skill, just as it is in the playoffs.
Speed, grit and skill is playoff hockey. Size helps when you wanna get physical. Look at the Caps, Jets and Knights.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #222
Evil.totoro
Draft Pick

They have the Avs right where they want them. Third period comebacks are so 2015.... playoff series comebacks are the new hotness.

Last edited by Evil.totoro; 04-15-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Evil.totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #223
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Defence are backing up as he gets the puck. They're afraid to attack him fearing he'll skate around him.
Gio needs to stick to him like glue.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #224
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Stupid post

You watch the game?

Don't feed the troll, ignore him.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #225
JATOSS
Draft Pick

I hope to see Jankowski, Neal, & Fantenberg out next game atleast. We sorely need to change something up
JATOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #226
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Speed, grit and skill is playoff hockey. Size helps when you wanna get physical. Look at the Caps, Jets and Knights.
It's not why the Flames are losing this series though
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #227
JATOSS
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
1-2 might warrant a goalie swap. I would like to see if they play a different style with Rittich.

That I can agree on. I feel Smith has played well for the team. There is nothing wrong with giving Rittich a shot.
JATOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #228
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
maybe with a time machine...if Jagr could still play in the NHL he would still be playing

Flames are getting out skated, they aren't missing Jagr FFS
Relax dude. Kidding, partly

But.. we can have another convo at another time about Jagr

He can do a lot of things with his strength and skill that this team can’t

And it absolutely IS worth discussing
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #229
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The individual trends are extremely troubling. But every time this season that it looked like the same ol' Flames were back, they proved me wrong and did things I haven't seen from a Flames team in a long time.

Time and time again, this iteration of the Calgary Flames has shown that they are different.

Prove me wrong again.

Please.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #230
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Treliving mentioned that it is difficult to make moves to fill holes without seeing your team in the playoffs. Flames really needed a couple of bodies like Kanzig or Hunter Smith to have worked out - guys with size, intelligence and skill. That's why they were drafted (whether or not you agree). Ferland was a great find, but had to be traded away (and with questionable health now). Riley Bruce, Austin Carroll, Emile Poirier, Tim Harrisson, Patrick Sieloff, even John Ramage and Bill Arnold - guys with size, grit, and ability at the junior level all busted. Flames really (IMO) needed a few of these guys to have worked out. Zack Fischer and Martin Pospisil are still in the pipeline, and the acquisition of Kerby Rychel (though injured). I guess Lazar plays with some sandpaper, and I guess Josh Healey is a (legitimate?) prospect as well...

Neal isn't bringing much to the table. Right now, he is a glorified 4th line enforcer out there - doesn't skate well, doesn't make plays well, but at least he is hitting.

Flames just don't appear to be made for the playoffs. I remember when Flames teams in the past used to absolutely love playing physical hockey - they excelled in those tough, gritty games. It seems to me that for the last couple of years, the Flames get rattled by the physicality.

Don't get me wrong - the Flames aren't missing an enforcer or something (though, at this point, I think I would replace about half the fricken players on the team with Peluso if he was healthy!!). To me, this team has a glaring hole in the size/physicality department. Instead of trying to develop Bennett's game, he basically has to become that enforcer.

Reaves and even Maroon would be welcome additions right now. What I wouldn't give for a Josh Anderson right now, and it is a shame the price on Stone went way up. It really is a huge shame that nobody other than Ferland has developed in all this time that the Flames have been drafting for that size+skill/grit combo.

Put Prout in next game, maybe even Stone. It isn't like the D are playing defence effectively anyway. Maybe replace a couple with some old-school stay at home defensive defencemen. Maybe at least they can stay in position and help poor Hamonic block some shots.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #231
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Make him hurt then if the refs wanna protect him.

Exactly! You are getting 2 minutes anyway, make that worth the 2 minutes.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #232
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any quick cures out there for shell shock?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #233
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATOSS View Post
That I can agree on. I feel Smith has played well for the team. There is nothing wrong with giving Rittich a shot.
Team needs to win the game on the ice. Goalie is not this issue right now
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #234
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Well our collective biggest fear is manifesting. Our top players are not capable of playing well in the playoffs.

Johnny and Monahan are bad every shift.

On the flip side, Bennett has been our best even strength forward consistently in the playoffs his whole career. Tkachuk is hot and cold, but almost every other single player is embarrassingly soft and unable of performing in the playoffs.

Our 4th line has easily been our best line and that's incredibly depressing.
I think we see push back from key guys, but in the event that we don't, I'd think that Treliving might need to look at getting guys with the needed character as well as heavier games to eventually take over for Monahan and Jankowski. Both of their performances so far would only be acceptable in a 4th line center role, tbqf. It's not the output, but the overall play and compete. It has to be so much better.

For those speeches from Monahan after getting a week of rest FOR this series, he's been the most disappointing of all.

I know he has the boring moniker for a reason, but even a guy like him should be more fired up for these games than he has been. The emotional g.a.f level is not even close.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #235
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Big thing I'll be looking for is how the Flames adjust next game. 56 shots against is pathetic.. If you're gonna take that many shots against you better at least put up 50 as well, instead of falling into the Colorado trap we need a better game plan when we have the puck and the give a #### meter needs to go way up
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #236
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

We can debate Czarnik in for Neal, or Brodie out etc. but the absolutely crucial thing that needs to happen is the top line needs to produce. It's no secret. It has to produce. If it doesn't we are doomed. No team can succeed in the playoffs if their best players aren't at their best.

It is absolutely time for Monahan to show us that he is the number one centre than can lead this team. No team wins in the playoffs with their top centre being ineffective.

Mackinnon. Stastny. Duchene. Backstrom. These centres are producing. Monahan needs to show us he can be the guy when it matters. He has shown us he can do it during the regular season but now is the time.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #237
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118021903321456640
https://twitter.com/user/status/1118024608131600387

We ####ing better.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #238
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That's an incredible take considering Smith has been lights out. He is literally the least of our issues at this point in the series.
lights out? they scored 6 goals OMG

the flames will never win a cup with this team till they get a decent goalie

maybe instead of signing useless players like neal they go after someone who can stop a puck
flamesforthecup2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #239
etdpratt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

“Put Prout in next game, maybe even Stone. It isn't like the D are playing defence effectively anyway. Maybe replace a couple with some old-school stay at home defensive defencemen. Maybe at least they can stay in position and help poor Hamonic block some shots.[/QUOTE]”

I agree with a lot of the post but please no prout or stone. Those guys are way too slow for the pace in this series. I feel we need to activate our d more if anything.
etdpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etdpratt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #240
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought that after game 2 guys.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poison For This Useful Post: