Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #241
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree I think it should go to Trotz or Peters but my gut says it Trotzs
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #242
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy stat: This is the first time the Jackets have ever won a playoff game by more than 1 goal.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1116923972950593536

Another crazy one is that not only have they never won a playoff series, they've never been in a position to win a playoff series. If they can win one more in this series, it will be the first time the Jackets have ever won 3 games in one series.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #243
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is if Lightning recover from this, it makes them that much harder to beat rest of the way.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #244
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or they'll run out of gas.

Right now to put it bluntly they're in a pot of dishwater soap. Its their mess and now they're soaking in it.

They have to win 4 out of 5 games.
3 games are in columbus
They might be going into their next game without their leading scorer.
Their goaltender has a bad case of the yips.
Columbus may have have been a wildcard team, but that's more about them not finding their chemistry til now.

I'm not saying its inpossible for Tampa to comeback, but I'm saying its improbable and they'll have to expend a lot of energy to do it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #245
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The 128 point team suddenly forgets how to play hockey. Unreal.
I remember the Canucks going up 2-0 on Detroit around 2002? Then got flushed. I hope CBJ pulls this out but its far from over.

As others said this could be the adversity they lacked all season. Lets see how the respond in game 3. I am thinking they blow Columbus out of the water.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #246
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I remember the Canucks going up 2-0 on Detroit around 2002? Then got flushed. I hope CBJ pulls this out but its far from over...
People keep introducing these lame analogues as if to diminish what Columbus has accomplished these past three days. How well do you remember that 2002 series? The Canucks lost because Dan Cloutier turned into a pumpkin in Game Three and allowed a goal from CENTRE ICE. I am not seeing a real clear correlation between the 2002 top-heavy Canucks with a bad goalie and this year's Columbus Blue Jackets.

It feels different this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #247
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Thing is if Lightning recover from this, it makes them that much harder to beat rest of the way.

...or, it shows cracks in their armor?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #248
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Any more prophecies, Chief?
Here's the problem with making predictions: It's based on past information. Since there was countless evidence to suggest that the first game from Tampa Bay was an aberration, it wasn't ridiculous to make the claims I did. I don't know why I'm being singled out for those thoughts when they would be perfectly rational at the time, but go ahead, pile on.

Hands up those of you who had Tampa Bay suddenly forgetting how to play hockey. A team that dominated everyone in the league, including the Flames who were the 2nd best team and the top team in the West. This was a team that had everything a team needs to roll through the playoffs. They still do. If they figure out how to respond to this situation appropriately and fix their mental approach/effort level etc., they will be their old unstoppable selves.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Tampa storm back in this series. It also wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Blue Jackets win the series in 5 or 6 games. The landscape has shifted drastically for the Lightning, but I don't think anyone should have logically expected this to happen, at least not to this extent.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #249
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sports wouldn't exist if we knew the outcome. What would be the point in playing? Now only if I knew for the purposes of betting, I wouldn't be awake at this time working at 7-11.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #250
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Hands up those of you who had Tampa Bay suddenly forgetting how to play hockey.
This is a pretty accurate description of game two.

I only watched until Columbus was up by three, but until that point Tampa was baaaaad. Yes Jackets played well enough to possibly win this even against a team playing well, but they weren't really tested because Tampa looked like a junior hockey team for long stretches.

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Tampa storm back in this series. It also wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Blue Jackets win the series in 5 or 6 games.
Pretty much. Funny thing is, now the pressure is just as much on Columbus. They're going to be thinking "I hope last year doesn't repeat itself". If Tampa wins the next game, Columbus is going to start sweating.

That said, I can't get over just how shellshocked Tampa was in game two. That just shouldn't happen, not that bad, not for basically the whole game, not when they had a night to think about the previous loss and not when they had already went through a meltdown in game 1.

Predicting this series is really hard, but I'm still going to predict that Tampa never really makes it back to this series. Even if they win a game, even if they win two, they'll still choke when it matters and will end up losing in a way which looks well deserved.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #251
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the problem with making predictions: It's based on past information. Since there was countless evidence to suggest that the first game from Tampa Bay was an aberration, it wasn't ridiculous to make the claims I did. I don't know why I'm being singled out for those thoughts when they would be perfectly rational at the time, but go ahead, pile on.
Of course, it is a CP tradition.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #252
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Exactly like Washington last season.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #253
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
...or, it shows cracks in their armor?
Maybe but first round is tough. And different.

In 89 Flames were fortunate to beat a lousy Canucks team, a much more lopsided series than this one. Against much better teams, they only lost 3 games the rest of the way.

We’ll see what happens as this series is far from over. The difference is that Columbus has some talent and capable of beating anyone IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #254
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Just wanted to come and pay my respects for EVERYONE's Playoff Bracket.
Not me! I picked CBJ.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #255
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Hands up those of you who had Tampa Bay suddenly forgetting how to play hockey. A team that dominated everyone in the league, including the Flames who were the 2nd best team and the top team in the West. This was a team that had everything a team needs to roll through the playoffs. They still do. If they figure out how to respond to this situation appropriately and fix their mental approach/effort level etc., they will be their old unstoppable selves.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Tampa storm back in this series. It also wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Blue Jackets win the series in 5 or 6 games. The landscape has shifted drastically for the Lightning, but I don't think anyone should have logically expected this to happen, at least not to this extent.
Well there’s your problem. Using flawed past information.

Tampa never dominated us.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
4X4, sun
Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #256
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering how many seven game series the bolts lost all year?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #257
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the reason why you take the field...

I'm as shocked as anyone, considering just how good TB was this year... I figured StL, Dallas as good bets for the upset, but didn't think Columbus would be able to overcome TB
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #258
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If you're going to do it Columbus, just do it. Don't take your foot off the gas.

And if they do, there are no two ways around it. This is a colossal upset and will be viewed as such.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #259
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well Certainly did not predict this, in fact i watch very little regular season hockey. That being said there are many examples of favourites losing the first two at home and coming back to win. That being said there might be some weaknesses for Tampa though, they do seem a bit small as a team, and Columbus really took over physically in that second game.

From a Columbus persoective they are improved from the regular season, they are really an "all star" team who did not play as a team until recently. In particular, if you watch Jones, he is the best defensemen in the series by a mile. In terms of recognized overall talent they are quite impressive, for next year you would be looking at a team with a collective salary of around 100 million.

In fact on paper there is little to choose, and you have an entire team playing for contracts next year!
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #260
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to say that I really like Josh Anderson.
Very impressed by him.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:

Tags
blue jackets , columbus , lightning , tampa bay , torts