Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #441
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire It Up View Post
I agree that there will be push back for sure. Teams usually don't just roll over and give up during the playoffs. That being said, we have to do more of the same and minimize time in the box, shots on net, and get all 4 lines rolling with some scoring. I liked how we took the body early last night. Not something you usually saw with this team during the year, but keep on them physically and wear down that top line is gonna have to be the plan.
Nate MacKinnon and Gabe Landeskog are #2 and #3 in ice time among forwards in Game #1 League-wide with 25:04, behind only Sebastian Aho. They are going to be exhausted by Game #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-12-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #442
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Nate MacKinnon and Gabe Landeskog are #2 and #3 in ice time among forwards in Game #1 with 25:04, behind only Sebastian Aho. They are going to be exhausted by Game #5.
What game 5?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #443
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMG_5494 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #444
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just purchased a flight and lower level tickets to game 4 in Denver...hoping to go broom shopping at the Denver Walmart!

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EN FUEGO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #445
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a possibly stupid question. At the start of the game last night before the teams come out they were playing this kind of ominous deep tone over and over. It’s like one heavy note and I seem to recall it being from one of the recent super hero movies when a certain villain enters the scene but I can’t for the life of me put my finger on it. Can anyone help me out? It’s almost like a distorted fog horn sound that repeats slowly.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #446
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post

IMG_5494 by bc-chris, on Flickr
So, do you buy these things every year, or do you for some reason hoard an everlasting supply of NHL chocolate pellets?

If the latter, why on earth do you have so many?

Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #447
ssjshmo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I have a possibly stupid question. At the start of the game last night before the teams come out they were playing this kind of ominous deep tone over and over. It’s like one heavy note and I seem to recall it being from one of the recent super hero movies when a certain villain enters the scene but I can’t for the life of me put my finger on it. Can anyone help me out? It’s almost like a distorted fog horn sound that repeats slowly.

Was at the game last night. You might be referring to the Harvey’s new drum he was beating. It’s hooked up to be amplified over the PA.
It’s like a Taiko drum with the Flaming C on it.
I can’t recall it’s name at the moment.
ssjshmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #448
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

It almost sounded like some sort of horror movie music. I liked it!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #449
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, do you buy these things every year, or do you for some reason hoard an everlasting supply of NHL chocolate pellets?

If the latter, why on earth do you have so many?

ha! ha!

they are little chocolate 'pucks' put out by hershey. i usually see them in a dollar store - i think around $4/bag.

i bought a couple bags a few years ago to get 4 of some team (likely the canucks when the flames played them in the first round). then last year i had to get some more... i didn't like some team in the playoffs and i didn't have four of their 'pucks'.

i only keep 4 per team and just throw them all in a ziplock bag. i would not want to eat them - they'd be pretty nasty tasting (unless you are into old-stale-ziplock-tasting chocolate!)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #450
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
ha! ha!

they are little chocolate 'pucks' put out by hershey. i usually see them in a dollar store - i think around $4/bag.

i bought a couple bags a few years ago to get 4 of some team (likely the canucks when the flames played them in the first round). then last year i had to get some more... i didn't like some team in the playoffs and i didn't have four of their 'pucks'.

i only keep 4 per team and just throw them all in a ziplock bag. i would not want to eat them - they'd be pretty nasty tasting (unless you are into old-stale-ziplock-tasting chocolate!)
You can still buy these things?

Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #451
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's from the Matrix Revolutions.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #452
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjshmo View Post
Was at the game last night. You might be referring to the Harvey’s new drum he was beating. It’s hooked up to be amplified over the PA.
It’s like a Taiko drum with the Flaming C on it.
I can’t recall it’s name at the moment.
Nope sorry that’s not it. They played it right before they cues into the gladiator intro they do when the lights start flashing red and there’s the opera singing. It’s basically a synthetic version of a fog horn. One big long deep note then a pause then it repeats. It’s very eerie and perfect for that pre-intro portion. But I just can’t put my finger on where it’s from. Might be Avengers related?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #453
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
It's from the Matrix Revolutions.

Thanks I love that as well but it’s what they did right before they play this ( I thought it was from Gladiator for some reason though)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #454
jkstuart12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Nope sorry that’s not it. They played it right before they cues into the gladiator intro they do when the lights start flashing red and there’s the opera singing. It’s basically a synthetic version of a fog horn. One big long deep note then a pause then it repeats. It’s very eerie and perfect for that pre-intro portion. But I just can’t put my finger on where it’s from. Might be Avengers related?
Is it the sound FX from Inception?
jkstuart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #455
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured it out. It’s a part from Black Manta theme music from the recent Aquaman movie

Awesome music to play before they come out! Wish they would of played it a bit louder I barely caught it.

Last edited by Patek23; 04-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #456
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I am sure there will be some pushback from Colorado tomorrow night, but I honestly wonder how much more they have to give. Grubauer did what they needed him to do for the most part. MacKinnon and Landeskog played great. I thought their powerplay had good looks. Rantanen can probably play better, but I don't think it is realistic to expect much more from their depth players.

On the other side, as good as the Flames were in the second half of last night's game, it feels like they still have another level. I thought they struggled to get into a rhythm to start with all the special teams play, the top line was pretty quiet, and Hanifin in particular was clearly suffering some first-playoff-game jitters. I expect MUCH better performances from all of these guys tomorrow.

Like I said, I think the Avalanche will mount a push, but I just don't see how they can win a game in Calgary.

The difference in the team from before Mangiapane's goal to after was very noticeable. First half of the game guys were squeezing their sticks way too hard, trying to force passes and shots through defenders, and didn't have any rhythm. But after Bread scored and Smith started looking unbeatable, you could see their collective confidence soar and they just took it to the Avs. I really hope they got the jitters out of their system and come out with that same confidence for game 2, it'll be really hard for Colorado to push back if the Flames play that game the same way they did the third period last night
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #457
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The difference in the team from before Mangiapane's goal to after was very noticeable. First half of the game guys were squeezing their sticks way too hard, trying to force passes and shots through defenders, and didn't have any rhythm. But after Bread scored and Smith started looking unbeatable, you could see their collective confidence soar and they just took it to the Avs. I really hope they got the jitters out of their system and come out with that same confidence for game 2, it'll be really hard for Colorado to push back if the Flames play that game the same way they did the third period last night
I thought the Flames struggles before the Mangiapane goal are overblown. They were taking it to the Avs before Furlatt started taking the game over and gave the Avs 3 straight powerplays. That killed any momentum the Flames had.

The Hanifin and Fantanberg penalties were soft preseason type calls. None of those were being called in any of the other playoff games. I didn't even catch the penalty at the beginning of the second period.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #458
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Agreed. But I just re-watched the game, and the shift take place decidedly before then. From around the 7:00 mark of the second period—a good seven minutes before Mangiapane's goal—the ice started to tilt dramatically in the Flames's favour.

Quote:
Old 04-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #459
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can still buy these things?

i hit up the dollar store i usually find them at and they are currently out of stock

i'm starting to check other dollar stores. i think we've had good success in the past at the 'dollarama' dollar stores
Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #460
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nate MacKinnon and Gabe Landeskog are #2 and #3 in ice time among forwards in Game #1 League-wide with 25:04, behind only Sebastian Aho. They are going to be exhausted by Game #5.
With how game 1 was played, I’m not sure fatigue will be a factor this series.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote