Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #82
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey View Post
Maybe they have hired sureLoss for the breaking news content
*Insert Michael Scott Noooo Gif here*

SureLoss is half the reason I read CP.. the other half is the ATL!!... mixed in with Puppet Guy; turtles, frogs, cars, and general good old fashioned debate and player hate. If Fan 960 takes SureLoss, we riot!!
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's today's show: https://play.google.com/music/listen...e2wt563dopqd3e

The "take that..." bit is right at the end of the show, so you can skip ahead to about 2 minutes left.

After listening to it in context, it seems to me that the "take that CalgaryPuck" is basically saying "take that and run wild with speculation over what the announcement could be in the new year" (which is exactly what this thread is doing). It doesn't come across as anything negative towards CP.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #84
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's today's show: https://play.google.com/music/listen...e2wt563dopqd3e

The "take that..." bit is right at the end of the show, so you can skip ahead to about 2 minutes left.

After listening to it in context, it seems to me that the "take that CalgaryPuck" is basically saying "take that and run wild with speculation over what the announcement could be in the new year" (which is exactly what this thread is doing). It doesn't come across as anything negative towards CP.
That's bizarre though. We mostly speculate on moves to do with the team and the flames organization as a whole. Sportsnet 960 is just a sports media entity. For the most part, I figure we could care less about their programming announcements. To name drop CP in such a way sounds like taunting.

Or maybe I am reading waaaaay too much into it.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #85
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
That's bizarre though. We mostly speculate on moves to do with the team and the flames organization as a whole. Sportsnet 960 is just a sports media entity. For the most part, I figure we could care less about their programming announcements. To name drop CP in such a way sounds like taunting.

Are you serious? As a collective, this site couldn’t care more about the programming and on air talent on 960. This site constantly complains and critiques everything 960, so fir them to insinuate any sort of announcement about anything will garner some sort of reaction on here is completely warranted and accurate. And I it was taunting, that would also be warranted given for the same reasons.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #86
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post

How much less could you care?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #87
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Kirsch was poking fun at the board's predilection for speculation. It's a joke.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #88
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good point. I typically pronounce fire for example as a single syllable.

I have heard a friend pronounce it with one or two depending on when saying firewall (1) or just fire (fy-er).
I can't see a way that fire could be pronounced as one syllable. You have an FI and an RE (Fie-er). The only way you could pronounce that as one is if you pronounced it as a different word, like fur.

I think you may just be pushing it together in your head, saying it fast and thinking you're using one syllable, but still using two.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #89
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I like Ryan Pinder. I think he has good takes on things especially hockey and the Flames. That said, I haven't caught the afternoon show for months, I'm talking about when he was with Boomer and Rhett in the morning but I can't imagine much has changed.

I also think he is a natural at play by play. He was great with the Heat. Would rather listen to him than Derek Wills. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced Wills at some point down the road to be honest.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #90
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can't see a way that fire could be pronounced as one syllable. You have an FI and an RE (Fie-er). The only way you could pronounce that as one is if you pronounced it as a different word, like fur.

I think you may just be pushing it together in your head, saying it fast and thinking you're using one syllable, but still using two.
I think the thing you have is liquid consonants which factor in. Consider the word child. I have heard it said like “chy-uld”. But there is only one vowel and one syllable.

I looked at this website to see, and I generally come down to the answer being one.
https://www.howmanysyllables.com/howtocountsyllables
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #91
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
How much less could you care?
I can’t believe people still think this is a thing. It isn’t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I believe Kirsch was poking fun at the board's predilection for speculation. It's a joke.
We don’t have a sense of humour here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Fire can be pronounced with one or two syllables. Little known fact, only psychopaths pronounce it with two.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #92
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

We don’t have a sense of humour here.

Fire can be pronounced with one or two syllables. Little known fact, only psychopaths pronounce it with two.

People in Boston pronounce it with two syllables and don’t even bother with the ‘r’

Those people are among the worst of all
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #93
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

My sense of humour was surgically removed during my wisdom teeth operation.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #94
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think the thing you have is liquid consonants which factor in. Consider the word child. I have heard it said like “chy-uld”. But there is only one vowel and one syllable.

I looked at this website to see, and I generally come down to the answer being one.
https://www.howmanysyllables.com/howtocountsyllables
This is their page on Fire: https://www.howmanysyllables.com/words/fire

It shows the pronunciation as:
Quote:
How to pronounce fire: fah-yer

How is that not two syllables?

Also, if you look up "hire" they say it has one syllable, but "higher" has two... I pronounce both of those words exactly the same.

It also has "flour" as one but "flower" as two. Again, two words that I pronounce the same.

I'm starting to think that I don't know what a syllable is.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #95
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s 2.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #96
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
I lost pretty much all respect for Pinder in the last 4 months. He's a know it all fraud and a complete joke to me now. I can't stand to listen to him constantly pick things apart like the annoying prick he is. I believe he was canned as the Abbotsford Heat's play by play guy for a reason.

He's a caustic ass-kissing suckup who lacks the intelligence to generate the kind of actual discussional diplomacy that creates captivating conversations. Boomer and Rhett figured out how to push his buttons, which is the only time things would seem real. In the afternoon he repeatedly proves what a doormat Steinberg is.

Will Neault can't enunciate and has analysis void of insight. He was calling for Brodie to be a healthy scratch earlier in the year when he was struggling. Hot take there Bud... really scraping the barrel of the simpleton's storage of easy analysis. He should stick to production and have nothing to do with contributions to the dialogue.

Matt Rose and Peter Klein bring way more to the table than that marble mouth.

Steinberg is just currency. He fills a role but rarely provides actual insightful value.

I've quit listening to them in the morning because it's the same tired schtick. This week Boomer was telling a REPEAT story about him chastising a guy at Costco. How pathetic is it that he can't even come up with NEW Costco experiences... to say nothing about actually sports analysis.

Kerr quit because they wanted him to be an expert in fantasy football. If there's one thing about Francis, who is just an enigma that generates dumb takes that riles people up, its that he went off on Will one morning about how NOBODY CARES about their fantasy football leagues. Yet they talk about them ad nauseam.

I'm fine with keeping Rome because at least he doesn't wade into the moronic depths of discussing his fantasy football league like the afternoon clowns.
So why do you bother listening?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #97
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This is their page on Fire: https://www.howmanysyllables.com/words/fire

It shows the pronunciation as:

How is that not two syllables?

Also, if you look up "hire" they say it has one syllable, but "higher" has two... I pronounce both of those words exactly the same.

It also has "flour" as one but "flower" as two. Again, two words that I pronounce the same.

I'm starting to think that I don't know what a syllable is.

Haha, me too. I don’t like the ‘fah-yer’ description of pronunciation, I would have used ‘f-eye-r’

https://www.howmanysyllables.com/whataresyllables

Funny enough, instead of a word like ‘kite’, they use ‘fire’ as the sample for silent vowels not counting

Quote:
If a vowel is silent, it is not counted as a syllable.
example: fire (1 syllable)
Seems there are a lot of different sites and either 1 or 2 is accepted.

haiku , most importantly, is fine.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #98
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What’s that - proper speech is not a thing?

| We don’t have a sense of humour here.

Oh. I see...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #99
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
His on-air personality is atrocious...He treats it like “It’s Boomer’s World...we are just living in it.”

Without Pinder on the morning show, it is being carried by Stephen Brunt, Brian Burke, Elliott Friedman, and Jason La Canfora...Take those guests off the show and you would get better sports insight on AMP Radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I'm just not looking for the same level of sports talk. I welcome the pointless food banter during my drive to work.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #100
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
What’s that - proper speech is not a thing?

| We don’t have a sense of humour here.

Oh. I see...
This is gonna be tough for some people to read but “I could care less” is the correct saying.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote