Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #761
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They simply cant talk over and over and over about the same thing for 3 hours, not only would it be horrible to listen too, it would make for bad radio and tuned elsewhere listeners.

People seem to want the guys on radio to talk about a 2 1/2 hour hockey game....for 3 hours.

That's just not feasible.
You're right, but other sports talk would be nice instead of - well, everything else they do. I actually tuned in this morning for the first time in a while and caught their hockey talk and interview with Friedman. Couldn't believe how long they went without being brutal.

Then, heard the 'recap' of Wills calls. Wow. That guy is so unprofessional it's unbelievable. One of his calls of Smith's big saves was something along the lines of 'Save by Smith! Take that haters!'. Completely paraphrasing of course - he didn't say haters but he did call out anyone who doubted Smith. WTF Wills? People are allowed to doubt a goaltender when he was playing as bad as he was at times in the season. Be a pro, ignore those who call you out on Twitter, and call a great save a great save. He's really let this feud with Pinder and the fans calling him out get to him and it makes him unlistenable. I know I won't listen to another Flames game on the radio again especially when it's so easy to get the TV stream or other teams broadcasters on your phone.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #762
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought all three games last night were pretty boring. Quite the contrast from the games on the first night of the playoffs, IMO.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #763
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
You're right, but other sports talk would be nice instead of - well, everything else they do. I actually tuned in this morning for the first time in a while and caught their hockey talk and interview with Friedman. Couldn't believe how long they went without being brutal.

Then, heard the 'recap' of Wills calls. Wow. That guy is so unprofessional it's unbelievable. One of his calls of Smith's big saves was something along the lines of 'Save by Smith! Take that haters!'. Completely paraphrasing of course - he didn't say haters but he did call out anyone who doubted Smith. WTF Wills? People are allowed to doubt a goaltender when he was playing as bad as he was at times in the season. Be a pro, ignore those who call you out on Twitter, and call a great save a great save. He's really let this feud with Pinder and the fans calling him out get to him and it makes him unlistenable. I know I won't listen to another Flames game on the radio again especially when it's so easy to get the TV stream or other teams broadcasters on your phone.
Yeah he's starting to go all Rod Pedersen and that's a bad thing.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #764
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

One of Wills calls went (verbatim) "How do you like me now?!?"

He was caught up in the moment. It was big night for Smith. But given the backstory I get how that could rub people the wrong way.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #765
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

They do....and when they do, people complain they aren't talking about hockey.

Its ridiculous.

As for Wiils, Im not his biggest fan either but people were hating ON HIM for defending Smith...all year. I thought it was a dumb hill to die on as well, but I dont blame him for taking shots back after seeing what some said about him both on here and on twitter. It got way way to personal.

Never mind the absolute dress downs that Pinder tried to lay on him as well...both working for the same station, its was an embarrassing display of petulance by Pinder repeatedly and I wouldn't be surprised if he was disciplined for it.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #766
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
One of Wills calls went (verbatim) "How do you like me now?!?"

He was caught up in the moment. It was big night for Smith. But given the backstory I get how that could rub people the wrong way.
I just don't think a PBP guy should be that invested in a particular player. It's not very professional IMO.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #767
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah he's starting to go all Rod Pedersen and that's a bad thing.
You are very correct!

I just found out they Rod’s Dad was a scout for the Northstars/Stars & he’s tight with Craig Button.

Button mentioned this when he was on with Derek Taylor the new Riders play by play guy, & spoke glowingly of Rod.

This explains some of Rod’s ties to the Flames & the NHL.

Rod the blowhard can stay in Regina.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #768
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think if Wills didn't have the backstory of being so invested in Smith no one would have thought anything of it. But given Wills' recent history I get why it stands out. It seems more personal than it should.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #769
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously?

I am NO fan of Derek Wills, but thought he had a great call last night. I suspect most of the frustration with him stems more from those who were frequently triggered by Mike Smith's poor performances this year, and Wills's defense of him when people were often unfairly critical. When I heard his "How do you like me now?!" call, I smiled because you know it perfectly captured the spirit of what Mike Smith was feeling in the same building with the same fans who were jeering him a month ago. It's an emotional game, and for all his flaws I thought Wills did a great job of capturing that emotion last night.

If he deserves criticism it is for his lame attempt to make the "Ryan Express" moniker stick. Just let it go, Wills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #770
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
who commutes to work from 8 - 830??? the day is half done by then bud!
People who have to get their kids off to school in the mornings.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #771
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Seriously?

I am NO fan of Derek Wills, but thought he had a great call last night. I suspect most of the frustration with him stems more from those who were frequently triggered by Mike Smith's poor performances this year, and Wills's defense of him when people were often unfairly critical. When I heard his "How do you like me now?!" call, I smiled because you know it perfectly captured the spirit of what Mike Smith was feeling in the same building with the same fans who were jeering him a month ago. It's an emotional game, and for all his flaws I thought Wills did a great job of capturing that emotion last night.

If he deserves criticism it is for his lame attempt to make the "Ryan Express" moniker stick. Just let it go, Wills.
I think if the call was in a vacuum you'd be right. But around the mid-way mark of the season when Wills and Pinder were really going at it, that's when Wills started making these comments all the time. Pre-game, in game, and post game - every chance he got he would make a passive aggressive remark either towards Pinder (who was never there to defend himself) or anyone who thought differently than him.

For the record, I was never a Smith hater nor a Rittich fanboy. I liked Wills as a PBP guy until this feud started. I think Pinder makes better talk-radio than what they had before but that's because his job is to give opinion and create controversy to keep people listening. What Wills is doing now is just juvenile. His job is to call the game - not call out people who don't side with him. If every time I turn on the Fan he's there giving his I told ya so's and low-key attacking those that aren't there to defend themselves, then I see him as an amateur and cringey. Next year Smith will likely be gone or on his final one year contract. Wills is creating lots of haters standing up for someone who isn't going to be around much longer. I agreed with his sentiments that the Flames need both goaltenders going to be successful - he just needs to know he was right and not be a dink about it. Just my opinion of course...
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #772
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Its ridiculous.

As for Wiils, Im not his biggest fan either but people were hating ON HIM for defending Smith...all year. I thought it was a dumb hill to die on as well, but I dont blame him for taking shots back after seeing what some said about him both on here and on twitter. It got way way to personal.

Never mind the absolute dress downs that Pinder tried to lay on him as well...both working for the same station, its was an embarrassing display of petulance by Pinder repeatedly and I wouldn't be surprised if he was disciplined for it.
It's definitely hard to please all the people, all the time. I guess I just find it weird that knowing the morning team can't talk Flames for 3 hours straight they decided to take the show the way they do. It's a sports talk station for crying out loud. My guess would be Kirsh knows he's got no one better to do the mornings, so he lets them do what they want. And the morning guys know they're completely out of their element talking anything other than Flames, so they avoid it like the plague. The funny thing is there's so much other sport and sport-related things happening every single day - anyone who puts in even a modicum bit of research could come up with a segment that is interesting. I hear broadcasters talk about sports all the time I couldn't care less about - but they find those interesting bits, guests, and angles to make me not change the channel. I'd love to hear the morning show do that too so I can still get the local talk mixed in with those things, but you can't always get what you want. So for now I don't listen often.

Pinder's job is to create a show where people want to listen. He may have stepped over the line here or there, but I hope he wasn't disciplined. Controversy keeps me sitting in my car in my driveway to hear a professional debate. Pettiness doesn't. Can't say I've heard Pinder be petty (I don't listen all the time tho).
Old 04-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #773
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just don't think a PBP guy should be that invested in a particular player. It's not very professional IMO.
Yes. It’s weird, creepy, pathetic, & dumb.

It makes him come off like an unprofessional loser.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #774
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Yes. It’s weird, creepy, pathetic, & dumb.

It makes him come off like an unprofessional loser.
As opposed to how you’re coming off right now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #775
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Its ridiculous.

Pinder and Wills are in totally different roles, Pinder gets ratings by stating the strong opinions.

No chance was he disciplined for his view imo.

I would bet, the show strongly encourages one of them to have a different view.

Wills however, can not afford to take hard opinion on players as he around them all of the time...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #776
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People who have to get their kids off to school in the mornings.
This would be me too, but I don't know - they've already been on air for a few hours when the largest portion of commute-listening people have already passed. So I'm fine with it.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #777
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not Wills' fault that Peter Maher set the bar that high.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #778
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Derek Wills has strong opinions that he believes in and defends and that's perfectly fine. But he is ultimately a PBP guy and he should probably steer clear from criticizing the fans. His shows and hits are predicated on ratings and biting the hands that feed you seems like a bad idea.

Just hope he doesn't become another Eric Francis. Dude berates the fans on a regular basis. His weekly morning show on fan is basically half an hour of self promotion and half an hour of berating the fans. Very unlikable personality, not sure how he hasn't been run out of town yet. I even remember him complaining that fans didn't read his column because he tells it like it is and everyone else is too scared to do so (paraphrasing).
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #779
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could put up with Wills annoying takes and opinions if he at least called the game well, but I can't even listen to him do that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #780
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Pinder and Wills are in totally different roles, Pinder gets ratings by stating the strong opinions.

No chance was he disciplined for his view imo.

I would bet, the show strongly encourages one of them to have a different view.

Wills however, can not afford to take hard opinion on players as he around them all of the time...
Not for his view point, no, but for the way he treated a co-worker. It really was embarrassing and as I said it became personal between them. Bad look for all involved including the station itself.