Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2024, 09:01 PM   #1
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Does the NHL have a scheduling problem?

Feels like every year there are some teams who get the short end of the stick with travel and B2B games and some teams get the benefit of playing tired teams on a b2b more often.

These scheduling perks can greatly benefit some teams. Does the NHL need to tighten up these scheduling advantages and make it more fair for all teams?

Maybe have a maximum and minimum for all teams playing b2b and playing teams on a b2b. Keep it between a certain number for all teams and make that number very close. No team should get a big advantage because of scheduling and IMO NHL needs to do a better job. These points can be the difference between missing and making playoffs.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:04 PM   #2
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

The challenging part is that the schedule-makers also have to align it with arena availability as well as the different travel demands (ie Western Confernece vs Eastern Conference).
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:10 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah....every team in the league is in a multi-use facility i believe.

As such there will always be glitches in schedules like B2B and 5 games in 7 nights type things.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:17 PM   #4
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah....every team in the league is in a multi-use facility i believe.

As such there will always be glitches in schedules like B2B and 5 games in 7 nights type things.
Yeah I understand that but I think the NHL needs to do a better job of making it more fair and even if it means adding an extra week to the schedule.

There is no way New Jersey should have to play 16 games on a b2b while seatte only has to play 7. That's a major advantage for some teams and unfair to other teams.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:18 PM   #5
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some teams may prioritize scheduling more than others. I remember reading that the Canucks ownership group, a team that is considered to have the worst travel in the NHL, tries and makes it a point to work with the NHL for the best options. They refuse to book events at the arena until they can maximize things for the Canucks, and that is a busy arena.

I do think the western Canada teams have it worse. Not a lot of close flights, a lot of cross border travel for divisions and probably the most challenging weather.

You see stupid anomalies though. When teams like Toronto, Montreal, Boston come out west they play Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver almost always. When the Canadian teams head out they sometimes play the NY based teams and another club but you never see NY teams, Boston, Buffalo and Montreal etc. They always haver to go back a few times.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:29 PM   #6
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Yeah I understand that but I think the NHL needs to do a better job of making it more fair and even if it means adding an extra week to the schedule.

There is no way New Jersey should have to play 16 games on a b2b while seatte only has to play 7. That's a major advantage for some teams and unfair to other teams.
Would be hard for the NHL to do a better job if they have to work around New Jersey arena scheduling. Not to mention the opposing team schedule as well.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:34 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember a few years ago reading an article about scheduling in professional sports leagues and how difficult it is because of all of the constraints involved. They couldn't even develop computer programs to do it and not end up having some teams completely boned. A group of human beings had to do it and it was a very difficult and time consuming process to try and come up with something balanced for every team. That was a few years back and maybe things have progressed since then, especially with AI advancements.

Just think of all the constraints involved. You have 41 home games for 32 different teams, some of which have really busy arenas. Then you have to try and line up games for road trips and not just a bunch of one-off trips. Teams can't play more than twice in a row or 4 games in 5 nights. And you have to fit it all in between October and April. Probably more that I can't even think of right now.

It sounds like a nightmare to work out.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:35 PM   #8
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

A major advantage?

It adds up to less than 1 expected point per season in the most extreme example, so, no.

https://www.nhltips.ca/back-to-back-...-betting-tips/
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:55 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I blame the Flames management for not fighting for a more balanced schedule. They are too locked in for tues - thurs and sat and this if costing us 5-10 points in the standings compared to Edmonton.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 09:58 PM   #10
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I blame the Flames management for not fighting for a more balanced schedule. They are too locked in for tues - thurs and sat and this if costing us 5-10 points in the standings compared to Edmonton.
The schedule does not cost any team 10 points at the expense of any other. That's simply dreamland.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 10:05 PM   #11
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find the complaining about schedules the most tiring topic on CP.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:49 AM   #12
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m all for this as long as we never play a Saturday morning game again unless it’s in Philly.

And can we stop playing early games at home because the visiting team has more “pull” on hockey night it Canada and the poor fans can’t stay awake?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:26 PM   #13
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still can't fathom how the league still insist of having teams play on back-to-back days. Extend the regular season for 2 weeks will eliminate such scheduling problems.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:40 PM   #14
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I still can't fathom how the league still insist of having teams play on back-to-back days. Extend the regular season for 2 weeks will eliminate such scheduling problems.
Please no.
The season is way too long/late already.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 02:10 PM   #15
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I find the complaining about schedules the most tiring topic on CP.
Not the top but maybe top 10. I wish I could put threads on ignore.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:43 PM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I blame Bettman.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:13 PM   #17
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I blame Bettman.
Poor Gary

Its all your fault , it's all you fault, you suck GB....boohoo hisssss!!

He is a big part of the issue
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:51 AM   #18
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The crazy part is how teams seemingly would rather play back-to-back games than fill their calendar in October and November. A lot of American teams don't like to have games in those months because attendance is generally less due to NFL and probably some other factors.

Look at New Jersey's schedule in October and November. You can't tell me that they couldn't have squeezed in some more games to reduce the back-to-back situation if they really wanted to:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/schedule/2023-10-02
https://www.nhl.com/devils/schedule/2023-11-02
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:42 AM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing about the schedule I never really noticed until I got into fantasy hockey leagues is that the league schedules the bulk of weekly games on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights by choice leaving Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday where they fit other games in. I assume history has shown those nights as more favorable for attendance?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM   #20
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
One thing about the schedule I never really noticed until I got into fantasy hockey leagues is that the league schedules the bulk of weekly games on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights by choice leaving Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday where they fit other games in. I assume history has shown those nights as more favorable for attendance?
I think it's more an artifact of trying to load up Saturday games. That means fridays and Sundays are automatically light due to les b2b games being less likely, which then loads up Thursday and Monday somewhat, which then means less games on Monday and Wednesday due to less b2b's.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: