Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #261
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe hammering us so hard this game will come back to bite the Avs.

Last vibes I got from a game like this in terms of making me question our core was Pittsburgh in october.
Maybe. Quite a different mindset when u know u have a whole season to go, or two games.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #262
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Ryan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Monahan-Czarnik
Hathaway-Janko-Mangiapane

In that order. I can’t wait to hear about how Monahan is playing injured again, second year in a row
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #263
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames came out pretty flat and were embarrassed in the first period. They had an opportunity in the second to send a message - and they came out possibly worse. So, after being embarrassed completely for two periods they had a third period to set the tone, to respond... to show what they are made of.

They were pathetic.

The Flames have sent a message to the Avs tonight. Just not the message we were hoping for.

If they can’t respond in game 4... serious questions about the make up of this team need to be asked.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #264
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Stop with GOT spoilers! Haven’t watched yet!
SPOILER:
flamesforthecup2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesforthecup2017 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #265
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You really have nothing better to do than troll tonight?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #266
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Not many. Also who would have picked both the Eastern and Western regular season leaders to be both knocked out in five games or less in the first round of the playoffs, and just out of curiosity when was the last time that happened?
I think 1986

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #267
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforthecup2017 View Post
lights out? they scored 6 goals OMG

the flames will never win a cup with this team till they get a decent goalie

maybe instead of signing useless players like neal they go after someone who can stop a puck
Let's review the goals

Two perfect 5v3 Snipes (off undeserved PPs)
A backdoor tapin rebound off a AAA save that isn't even a shot if the backchecker does his job
A perfect tip right in front of him
His Dman abandoning his positioning and leaving a trailer wide ####ing open in the mid slot
An odd man rush chasing a 3 goal deficit where the backchecker just needed to hustle a little to conpletely erase the chance

You take away those five absolutely unacceptable situations on the skaters' part and you have Smith getting beat by a perfect tip.

Don't care if Price or Hasek is in net, this game is on everyone except for Smith and Bennett.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #268
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Random musings...

- Sam Bennett is taking more steps in his development. He is more of a leader on the ice than Sean Monahan. Time to get this kid back to centre, and really work with him on developing his offensive game and gaining offensive confidence.

- Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are failing this team. They aren’t dictating anything.

- Mikael Backlund is facing his first true “elite” level challenge. A 7 game series against an elite player, and he is getting absolutely decimated.

- TJ Brodie is being exposed

- I’m really happy for Mike Smith. I’ve never been a fan of his as a Flame, but to see a dude struggle for significant amounts of time only to show up when it matters the most is why I watch sports. That level of drama/excitement is truly enjoyable to witness.

- This is gut-check time for a lot of players on this team. They’ve already cut their teeth on the playoffs, Game 4 is the game where they need to take control and step up.

- I’m genuinely surprised by Matthew Tkachuk. He needs to do a better job on every inch of the ice.

- I’m a huge James Neal fan, but his foot speed is being exposed. I’ll cheer for him until he isn’t here anymore, but now is the time for him to step up.

- Mark Jankowski should not be a centre.

- Andrew Mangiapane is a gem.

- I am really intrigued to watch Game 4. We are going to learn a lot about this team in Game 4.
Well thought out post. Extra thanks!
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #269
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You really have nothing better to do than troll tonight?
first off, this is the only thing that helps me cope with losses

second off, its a monday night man
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #270
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I respect your posts, but I don't know if I agree with the whole not built for playoffs thing. I believe we've hit a buzz saw of a team with an amazing speed set. I don't think dressing a set of tough guys that can't keep up is the answer at all.

I've said it before. I believe that the problem is coming down to two things. Leadership and Experience.

I think that this team is pretty young and their playoff inexperience is catching up and causing them to panic when things aren't going their way.

I believe that the leaders have to do a stronger job of stepping up.

I felt that the team played ok in game one. They lost confidence in game two, and that confidence dropped through the floor tonight.

You have to be confident to drive an offensive play, we saw Johnny guessing a lot tonight, and that's unusual, we have a blue line that's backing off and that's confidence.

About the only guy that I saw confidence from besides Smith is Bennett, and Smith might be shattered after tonight.

The Flames have a big hill to climb. Sometimes in the playoffs simple is the best way and the Avs are playing that simple game very well. The Flames are trying to do too much and frankly being too cute.

I like the idea of finding a way to insert some speed into the lineup

I hate Brodie's game right now, like really hate it, and have hated it for a while.
Majority of this may be true, however the Avs are not more experienced than the Flames when it comes to the post season.

I certainly hope and want the flames to step up and find their game. But it’s been lacking since the all star game, which was always my concern. As well, the skeptic in me just doesn’t see Johnny and Monny as playoff warriors, the intensity and defensive acumen/two way play just isn’t there on any consistent basis at all. At times non existent. Combine that with lack of confidence as you stated and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Agreed on the pretty plays. Start making the simple plays, drive the offensive pressure and make things happen. If a turnover does occur, skate like a madman, focus on the puck carrier who you lost it to or cover the open man. I saw both guys(Gaudreau and Monahan) make lackadaisical efforts on all of this.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #271
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforthecup2017 View Post
first off, this is the only thing that helps me cope with losses

second off, its a monday night man
come on now, we are able to check your posting history...
Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #272
flamesforthecup2017
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:

nope
Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #273
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, literally only posts in Vancouver threads (complaining about the Flames and complimenting the Canucks) until tonight's loss.

Last edited by AC; 04-16-2019 at 12:14 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #274
Kokos
Draft Pick

My thoughts from today (Ranting):

Why is Brodie on the right side? In the offensive zone he can barely keep the puck in and if he does he just dumping it back in with a soft backhand. Maybe a RH D like Stone would be better? Blast from the point?

Bennett should center Johnny and Elias, Benny would create more room for Johnny and add some speed to that line.

Play Dube and see what happens, one of our fastest players and knows how to play on a big stage.

Our boys need to get angry, has anyone seen Monahan try and throw a hit? Its cringe worthy, Jankowski is 6'5 and plays like hes scared to hurt someone.
Kokos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kokos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #275
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have no objections if Mr. Frolik was in the press box next game.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 AM   #276
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hammer.
Less talk want action

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #277
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

@deluxe - isn't letting me reply...

Just say you disagree and why. Don't give me that 'oh lord' condescending crap. You know full well that I don't imply to throw all those guys on the ice against Colorado's top line. Of course you know this, but hey, might as well try and make it seem like you are a smart guy, right?

Seriously, too many posters just post condescending crap where it seems more important to make a poster look stupid than to actually discuss the topic at hand. I barely post any longer or read even a quarter of the threads that I used to since I just find it annoying to keep reading crap like this back and forth between posters. But who cares. I must be a snowflake.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #278
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokos View Post
My thoughts from today (Ranting):

Why is Brodie on the right side? In the offensive zone he can barely keep the puck in and if he does he just dumping it back in with a soft backhand. Maybe a RH D like Stone would be better? Blast from the point?

Bennett should center Johnny and Elias, Benny would create more room for Johnny and add some speed to that line.

Play Dube and see what happens, one of our fastest players and knows how to play on a big stage.

Our boys need to get angry, has anyone seen Monahan try and throw a hit? Its cringe worthy, Jankowski is 6'5 and plays like hes scared to hurt someone.
Monahan had 36 hits all year, with Janko not far behind at 30 albeit with much less ice time. That is just not in their DNA. Put it in perspective, Lindholm had 82.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #279
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I would have no objections if Mr. Frolik was in the press box next game.
Out of all the donkeys in flames silks tonight u go with the year long sheep vote? For shame.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poison For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #280
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Since March 15h Lindholm has zero goals. 3 points. 2 goals since Feb 14th.

That is a lot of wasted minutes for a guy on the top line.

Reminds me of Backlund at the end of last season.

Gaudreau is not dictating the pace of play. When he is "on" he is often able to slow the game down because of his ability to distribute the puck like a magician. Not at the moment.

Monahan is a mystery. I do not get him. I don't understand what makes him tick. I've never seen a player like him, with his ability to shoot, to be so unnoticeable for extended periods. His ability to find openings and get his incredible shot off quickly in tight space is what makes him effective. He is not doing that right now.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: