Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #541
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I dont know. It's easy to be on one side now that it's done, but I wouldve given up Valimaki+ for Stone at that contract anyday.
But that contract would not be the same in Calgary.

Because of tax differences, it would have been over 11 million per to be equal to the Vegas deal...never mind losing two 1 sts and 2 players.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #542
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Elite playoff performer. The guy is built for playoff hockey and would literally be having a great game tonight if he had zero points (has a hat trick and 4 points). This is the type of player that puts a strong playoff team over the top.

Would not be at all surprised to see Vegas right back in the finals with a much different team than last year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #543
jayswin

Exp:

Last year they were skilled misfits playing above their level to show everyone they were wrong to expose them to expansion. This year they've built a legit Stanley Cup contender.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #544
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Water under the bridge. The Flames have to make do with what they have. I think they can do it.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #545
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Water under the bridge. The Flames have to make do with what they have. I think they can do it.
Sure, but this is a thread about Mark Stone and he's looking to be starting a playoff MVP caliber post season. It's incredible and worth talking about.

No need to try to suppress discussion with "move on" style comments.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #546
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
But that contract would not be the same in Calgary.

Because of tax differences, it would have been over 11 million per to be equal to the Vegas deal...never mind losing two 1 sts and 2 players.
Plus as mentioned before, it’s not just the tax difference.. For him to choose Calgary when he was about to be a UFA, we certainly would have had to pay more than Vegas. Especially since Vegas has become one of the more desirable places for players to choose and play now.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #547
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mark Stone (8yrs, $9.5mil AAV) to Vegas for Erik Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2020 2nd

Vegas has an abundance of prospects. The flames farm is thin and Valimaki is the only blue chip prospect. Asking Treliving to ship him for a guy who may not of signed is a bit ridiculous. Vegas got extremely lucky that a player like that was available and they had the prospect depth and cap space to make it work. We don’t even know if the Sens would have chosen a Valimaki offer over Brannstrom and Vegas probably would have won a bidding war. It sucks to see him go to a divisional rival but it just wasn’t a fit like it was for Vegas. Credit to Vegas, they used the expansion draft perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #548
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

there were reports prior to the trade that Vegas was a destination that Stone was going to if he hit UFA status...

BT put in an honest attempt to get Stone, but wasn't able to meet the price Ottawa wanted.

Great game by Stone, and shows why he was highly coveted... but there's nothing to say that VGK wouldn't have upped their offer either if Calgary did come around to including Valimaki.

And there's nothing to suggest that they wouldn't have chosen Brannstrom over Valimaki either if they had their choice between the two.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #549
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Vegas has an abundance of prospects. The flames farm is thin and Valimaki is the only blue chip prospect. Asking Treliving to ship him for a guy who may not of signed is a bit ridiculous. Vegas got extremely lucky that a player like that was available and they had the prospect depth and cap space to make it work. We don’t even know if the Sens would have chosen a Valimaki offer over Brannstrom and Vegas probably would have won a bidding war. It sucks to see him go to a divisional rival but it just wasn’t a fit like it was for Vegas.

Well as the timeline apparently went, the Flames weren't trading the rumoured package unless they spoke to the agent and could agree to a deal upon trade, as Vegas did.

So there was never going to be a scenario where we traded Valimaki and hoped Stone signed with us at some point before summer, possibly losing him for nothing. Just as Vegas wasn't giving their package without a deal in place.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #550
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mark Stone (8yrs, $9.5mil AAV) to Vegas for Erik Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2020 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well as the timeline apparently went, the Flames weren't trading the rumoured package unless they spoke to the agent and could agree to a deal upon trade, as Vegas did.

So there was never going to be a scenario where we traded Valimaki and hoped Stone signed with us at some point before summer.

The trade just wasn’t going to happen for the flames, wonder what superstar the Sens are going to trade over to the pacific next. Hopefully the flames can grab him

Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #551
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
there were reports prior to the trade that Vegas was a destination that Stone was going to if he hit UFA status...

BT put in an honest attempt to get Stone, but wasn't able to meet the price Ottawa wanted.

Great game by Stone, and shows why he was highly coveted... but there's nothing to say that VGK wouldn't have upped their offer either if Calgary did come around to including Valimaki.

And there's nothing to suggest that they wouldn't have chosen Brannstrom over Valimaki either if they had their choice between the two.
Yeah, it's very possible we could have given them everything they asked for, plus been willing to give $11mil to Stone and still seen them go with Vegas' offer. Absolutely.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #552
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
The trade just wasn’t going to happen for the flames, wonder what superstar the Sens are going to trade over to the pacific next. Hopefully the flames can grab him

I don't think it was going to happen either, I was just correcting your point about trading Valimaki for an unsigned Stone. Brad would never have had that on the table and every insider and Brad basically confirmed this.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #553
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks great but I’m going to hold off on handing Stone the Conn Smythe just yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #554
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

We gonna bump this every time he has a good game? probably

Flames should have traded for Eberle and Duchene too with how the first few games have gone
Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #555
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He looks great but I’m going to hold off on handing Stone the Conn Smythe just yet.
If you're talking about me (I think I'm the only one who mentioned it) I tried to be as clear as possible that I could easily see him taking it IF Vegas reaches the finals.

I wasn't suggesting I already believe he will put the team on his back, get to the finals and win the Conn Smythe. Nature of internet discussion I guess but I tried to be really clear.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #556
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it's very possible we could have given them everything they asked for, plus been willing to give $11mil to Stone and still seen them go with Vegas' offer. Absolutely.
i like Stone and was hoping he would land in Calgary...

to be honest, once his contract was announced and the rumor of Valimaki and Andersson came to light, i was ok with missing out...

Vegas 'pushed in their chips' and its paying off for them so far
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #557
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
We gonna bump this every time he has a good game? probably

Flames should have traded for Eberle and Duchene too with how the first few games have gone
It's been bumped once in the playoffs. I really struggle to understand why you are the way you are on CP? It's infuriating. Like do you just try to be abrasive like this?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #558
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i like Stone and was hoping he would land in Calgary...

to be honest, once his contract was announced and the rumor of Valimaki and Andersson came to light, i was ok with missing out...

Vegas 'pushed in their chips' and its paying off for them so far
Yeah, it would have been a tough pill to swallow if we didn't win a cup in the next couple of years, because we certainly would have lost a good player down the road to fit him in.

Either way we have a contender. He would have made us a stronger contender now but maybe we'll be stronger in three years for having a more balanced cap structure.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #559
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's been bumped once in the playoffs. I really struggle to understand why you are the way you are on CP? It's infuriating. Like do you just try to be abrasive like this?
You've made about 10 posts in two separate threads tonight about Vegas likely going to the finals and Stone probably being MVP

Its putting the cart before the horse just a little bit IMO...no need to take it personally
Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #560
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You've made about 10 posts in two separate threads tonight about Vegas likely going to the finals and Stone probably being MVP

Its putting the cart before the horse just a little bit IMO...no need to take it personally
I really like MacKinnon too, but at least I suppressed that one.