Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #201
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I see a lg b8 65 for 1199. Some reviews talk about motion in sports being a problem. Is that an issue with settings or a fault of OLED that generation?
I have a C9 which is the same panel and sports display fine. Just make sure to turn off TruMotion.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #202
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Holy ****, yeah grab a B8 for $1200. Absolutely.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:16 PM   #203
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news, everyone!

FINALLY in the market for a new TV. Our current youngest is a whopping 12 yrs old so I'm assuming there's been some major advances since I last bought one and not sure what's good and what's not.

Will be using this new one in a fairly large, somewhat bright living room. Probably a good 10' from the couch. Main use will be TV (strong emphasis on hockey), movies and the occasional round of gaming on a switch. Not heavy console users at all.

Is e-arc a thing yet? Would like that I think but regular arc a must. I'd imagine that's pretty common place now.

Looking for something in the 65" range and would like to keep below $2000.

Suggestions?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #204
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Great news, everyone!

FINALLY in the market for a new TV. Our current youngest is a whopping 12 yrs old so I'm assuming there's been some major advances since I last bought one and not sure what's good and what's not.

Will be using this new one in a fairly large, somewhat bright living room. Probably a good 10' from the couch. Main use will be TV (strong emphasis on hockey), movies and the occasional round of gaming on a switch. Not heavy console users at all.

Is e-arc a thing yet? Would like that I think but regular arc a must. I'd imagine that's pretty common place now.

Suggestions?
I recommend the Samsung 8000 series as a good value/quality tv. I just bought a 8000 series 55" and love it. I also have 2 Q60 series tvs, and frankly for the price the 8000 is a better deal.

The 8000 comes with a great bluetooth remote, has built in Airplay 2, and has eARC

a 65" will run you about $1100. https://www.samsung.com/ca/tvs/uhd-t...MaAjScEALw_wcB
Old 08-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #205
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Great news, everyone!

Suggestions?
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...-on-the-market

There is a table towards the bottom that summarizes everything.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #206
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I recommend the Samsung 8000 series as a good value/quality tv. I just bought a 8000 series 55" and love it.
OMG those bezels.....are more like that lack thereof. And sooooo thin. Love it.

My first bigscreen TV is a 46" Samsung (still have it) and man, just about threw my back out trying to pick it up the other day.

It's amazing that TV's have gotten bigger yet lighter at the same time. You used to have to worry about your wall mounting bracket being able to carry the weight.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #207
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reddit /r/HTBuyingGuides: There is NO reason to buy the Samsung TU7000, TU8000, TU8300 or TU8500OC.

No Wide Color Gamut (WCG), no 10-bit panel -- Samsung has gone to 8-bit panels for all but their top end models.
Buy the TCL 6-series, better value.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #208
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good stuff, thanks for the replies.

What is your preferred store to buy from? Costco has usually been my go to but they don't seem to have anything in the TCL series. I've historically been a bit leery of visions but at least you can haggle with them a bit?
Old 08-31-2020, 05:15 PM   #209
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my TCL 6 series through Amazon.

Had it shipped to my PO box in Montana.

You can get it through Amazon.ca now: https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-55R617-CA-...fix=tcl&sr=8-3
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #210
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

75" for 1500 is a really tempting deal. that's a quality set.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #211
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
75" for 1500 is a really tempting deal. that's a quality set.
Yeah, the TCL 6-series is routinely lauded for the excellent value for money. And the fact that it comes with a built-in Roku is a nice plus.

If they made an 85", I'd be all over it. But then again, since the pandemic, my entertainment room has seen almost no use.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:00 PM   #212
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lust over the LG OLED sets, but there is not a day that goes by that I am not happy I got the TCL.

It's absolutely bulletproof, has built in Roku, and if I can't get what I want to watch on Roku, it's hooked up to my Channel master Android box.

There isn't a pile of 4k content out there, but what I have been able to see in 4k has looked fantastic. (sidebar, mildly annoyed the Toronto NHL games aren't in 4k, hoping some of the MLS stuff is).
Old 08-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #213
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just picked up a Hisense Q8G 65". I was debating between that and the TCL 6 series, Hisense won out with slightly faster response times for games and having Android TV built-in over Roku. Visions has them in stock for pickup, which nets you a $50 savings over the Amazon price if you've got a large enough vehicle to take it home with
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #214
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hemi did you make many adjustments to the picture? Or was it good out of the box?
Old 08-31-2020, 10:42 PM   #215
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I lust over the LG OLED sets, but there is not a day that goes by that I am not happy I got the TCL.

It's absolutely bulletproof, has built in Roku, and if I can't get what I want to watch on Roku, it's hooked up to my Channel master Android box.

There isn't a pile of 4k content out there, but what I have been able to see in 4k has looked fantastic. (sidebar, mildly annoyed the Toronto NHL games aren't in 4k, hoping some of the MLS stuff is).
We got a 42 TCL 5 series for our kitchen watcher and it’s really blown me away. Sounds actually is decent that I’m not getting a sound bar. The roku is awesome and the picture is great. Really happy with it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 11:38 PM   #216
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I almost pulled the trigger on the 65" LG OLED, went for the Sony Bravia XBR65A8H instead. I think both sets were amazing and it was very hard to chose.

My last gen Samsung plasma died last Friday. I loved that thing.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:40 PM   #217
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

TCL has the new 5 series out, I’ve ordered the 75 inch. I’ve had the 55 4 series in the past and for a 400 dollar tv that thing was incredible. Can’t wait to see how this new one looks
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #218
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Reddit /r/HTBuyingGuides: There is NO reason to buy the Samsung TU7000, TU8000, TU8300 or TU8500OC.

No Wide Color Gamut (WCG), no 10-bit panel -- Samsung has gone to 8-bit panels for all but their top end models.
Buy the TCL 6-series, better value.
I looked at Vizio M Series and the TCLs (I have a 50" TCL as well) and liked them. Though the lack of Airplay deprecated them in my mind.

But, good comparison.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #219
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just picked this one up.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/lgnanocell/sub/ai_think.jsp

I can't give a review on it yet because I haven't set it up yet.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #220
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Hemi did you make many adjustments to the picture? Or was it good out of the box?
Haven't unpacked it yet, I'll post a short review once it's setup
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: