Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #81
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Biggest loser to ever lose.
He's not done losing yet me thinks.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #82
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big tech monopoly will eventually be a problem.

Tonight, likely for the benefit of the world, they banned trump from Twitter. Most of the time big tech does not act this way and they have an obligation to look out only for the best interests of their shareholders. But a private company just silenced the president of the United States on the biggest platform for rapidly disseminating information.

That is quite a lot of power to put in the hands of Jack Dosey.

Hopefully they are broken up standard oil style.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #83
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Twitter is playing whack-a-mole with him and his accounts. Too funny. I wonder how long until he starts tweeting from the FLOTUS account?

You'd think that Twitter would be monitoring these accounts a lot closer, but I'm enjoying his futile attempts. He must just be going nuts wherever he is trying to get something on social media. Lol.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #84
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Tonight, likely for the benefit of the world, they banned trump from Twitter. Most of the time big tech does not act this way and they have an obligation to look out only for the best interests of their shareholders. But a private company just silenced the president of the United States on the biggest platform for rapidly disseminating information.

I agree about the monopoly thing eventually but also this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347738335905775622

Literally every single previous president managed to not be silenced before while either not using Twitter at all or using it as a secondary or tertiary outlet.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #85
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I suppose he'll probably stick to the "Washington is No Good" thread.
And Springs1 threads.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #86
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I agree about the monopoly thing eventually but also this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347738335905775622

Literally every single previous president managed to not be silenced before while either not using Twitter at all or using it as a secondary or tertiary outlet.
While true no previous president served in as technology driven world.

Probably the more concerning one is Apple and Google banning Parler via the AppStore. Controlling what people put on their devices based on political ideaology is pretty dangerous monopolistic behaviour.

Today it works in our interests.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #87
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These things will govern themselves in the long run. If one platform gets too restrictive (or isn't restrictive enough), people will go to another platform. If the market is there, it will do well.

It's really no different than other forms of media. TV networks have restrictions on content. You can't go the Cooking Network and try to promote weird conspiracy theories about elections. You can go on FOX News and do it, and apparently there is a market for it. Any website should be free to filter any kind of content they want to distribute, just like TV, radio, print media, etc... Like the other forms of media, if there are various audiences that want their own thing, it will materialize at some point.

For a long time, the World Weekly News was one of the biggest selling publications, but that doesn't mean the New York Times or Boston Herald are biased or harming freedom if they don't let them run stories about the Bat Boy in their papers.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #88
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does nobody think this is just a spineless thing Facebook and Twitter among others, have done? When this guy had power and was creating a ruckus for the longest time, they did nothing because it suited their corporate needs. Now that his power has been removed, they do this? Even Trudeau coming out saying he incited the whole thing (which is true), would never have done that months ago when it was the right thing to call out then.

When will people in a position to do right, actually stick their neck out and do what is right at the right time?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #89
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol. So I wonder what his "big announcement" is going to be. My guess is it'll be the official launch of his new media empire "Trump TV" or some other bulls*** scam.

I know people think he might run again in 2024, but I honestly don't see it happening. He might say he's gonna run just to keep grifting the MAGA cult into sending him more money, but I'm more inclined to believe his niece (Mary Trump) when she says that he would never again put himself in a position where he could lose as badly as he did in this election.

I'm also guessing that after losing both the Presidency and the Senate in such humiliating fashion, the horrifying and shameful shenanigans that took place at the Capital the other day, and Trump trying to pit the GOP against each other, Mitch and the majority of Republicans probably won't want him anywhere near a presidential campaign ever again.

Maybe he runs as an independent though? Who knows. For the sake of the entire planet, I really hope he doesn't.
Screw that. Let him run as an independent! He'll split votes on the republican side.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #90
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
These things will govern themselves in the long run. If one platform gets too restrictive (or isn't restrictive enough), people will go to another platform. If the market is there, it will do well.

It's really no different than other forms of media. TV networks have restrictions on content. You can't go the Cooking Network and try to promote weird conspiracy theories about elections. You can go on FOX News and do it, and apparently there is a market for it. Any website should be free to filter any kind of content they want to distribute, just like TV, radio, print media, etc... Like the other forms of media, if there are various audiences that want their own thing, it will materialize at some point.

For a long time, the World Weekly News was one of the biggest selling publications, but that doesn't mean the New York Times or Boston Herald are biased or harming freedom if they don't let them run stories about the Bat Boy in their papers.
That assumes that Google/Apple don’t have the power to regulate everything. It is no longer possible regardless of googles or apples behaviour to create a new operating system for a phone and get any meaningful market penetration in any reasonable amount of time. The barriers to entry are too high.

Social media competitors are currently either bought or features copied prior to becoming dominant.

ISPs are held a a few centralized people
Revenue through internet ads on the internet is effectively controlled by Google and Amazon.

The FCC broke up cable companies and stopped mergers of media companies to prevent what is currently happening on the internet.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #91
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Hopefully they are broken up standard oil style
Hard to see that happening while Biden owes them big. By the time there is someone in power who could do something about it, they'll have a real good shot at having set the precidents and gotten the legislation they need to be nearly untouchable.

I doubt standard oil would have gotten broken up in today's political climate, big money has a lot more influence now, at the very least they'd have been able to endlessly delay an actual break up.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #92
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
While true no previous president served in as technology driven world.

Probably the more concerning one is Apple and Google banning Parler via the AppStore. Controlling what people put on their devices based on political ideaology is pretty dangerous monopolistic behaviour.

Today it works in our interests.
I’m of two minds with that. One agrees with you but the other says that inciting violence against the country isn’t a political ideology and the Len start getting into the paradox of tolerance territory.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #93
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

The difference is, all of those publications and networks are regulated and legally responsible for what they publish. Social media companies on the other hand argue they're neutral tech platforms when it's convenient (i.e. when they want to avoid any kind of regulation) but that they're publishers when it makes sense to do so (i.e. when they want to be able to have editorial control over what's published on their platforms).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #94
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does breaking up Twitter or Facebook even look like?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #95
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

LOL... The NY Rangers' Tony DeAngelo rage-quit Twitter over this and is currently getting owned worse than the Edmonton Oilers defence.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ran...013126739.html
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #96
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What does breaking up Twitter or Facebook even look like?
Facebook and Twitter would be regulation around the algorithms that create the bubbles. So you could ban the collection and use of data used to serve targeted ads and content. Limit it info that is directly provided by the user to the platform and opposed to collected from everything the user does.

Also prevent them from acquiring other upstart companies. Facebook buying IG probably shouldn’t have been allowed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #97
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're seeking moderation based on violent rhetoric and planning, not based on political ideology. It's not that Parler supports Trump, it's that Parler is being complicit in the planning of attacks on the inauguration.

I mean I don't think we should have an issue if Apple and Google banned ISISFacebook too if their users were organizing attacks without moderation.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #98
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

At any time, Trump could call up any network and get an hour of free airtime.

To go on about Big Tech and concern for democracy is a bit precious right now. I’m only pissed off they didn’t do it 6 weeks ago.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #99
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Easiest is to break out Facebook from Instagram and WhatsApp and whatever all the other things they own now are.

But yeah for Twitter what do you do? Just split it into a bunch of different companies that do the same thing? TwitterA-F, TwitterG-S, TwitterT-Z?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #100
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized that I'm probably getting on the FBI watch list for way too many key words in my last post ha.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: