Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #221
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen accounts permad on Twitter for calling JK Rowling a TERF.

The only notable fascist that's been banned from Twitter in the last couple years was Laura Loomer, seems they're just catching up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #222
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s interesting that you keep trying to reframe this as some slippery slope we should all be afraid of and not the very late but correct decision.
Uh, okay. Yay, they made the right decision! Woo-hoo! High-fives and on-point gifs for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Shows a lot about how you see these events and what your priorities are.
I think in terms of universal principles. That's just the way my mind works. It also happens to be the way most of our laws and institutions operate (or are supposed to operate).

Quasi- monopolistic communication platforms banning politicians raises issues of political interference. It's possible to be concerned about those issues while also believing they were justified in using those powers in this instance.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-10-2021 at 10:47 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #223
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Lmao are you joking? Twitter suspended/banned at least 20 accounts I follow(ed) during the riots.

This is definitely a case of selection bias.
I also love how Qanon tripe is what he comes up with as his example of something of value being lost.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #224
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
But how can that possibly be true, I’ve been told social media is silencing conservative voices along cultural war lines!
Seriously, man. My post was two short paragraphs and you still managed to get it totally wrong.

Quote:
But if this is applied selectively and along culture wars lines, it will give credence to the claims of conservatives that the media and tech are conspiring against half of America.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #225
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The pure, untouched naivety of believing that social media platforms have only ever silenced the "right," or that "they could use this against you, too!" qualifies as a remotely critical or new thought, is astounding to me.

Completely evident some people are living in very privileged little bubbles. It's outrageous. But sure, it would be totally unheard of for someone on the left to be suspended for inciting violence against Trump, or even nazis, or hell, even saying someone deserves to be slapped. That's definitely never happened.

It honestly must be nice to have so much privilege that you honestly believe you're the first to face whatever "persecution" you're facing, and that you're some kind of wise prophet when you tell others "this may happen to you!"

Welcome to the world. Nice of you to join it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #226
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-10-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #227
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
nvm
To answer your question before you pulled the chute, though I think you did so because you knew the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Twitter is a wasteland filled with dummies spewing crazy ####, and pretty much all of it goes untouched. They seem to only role up their sleeves and get involved when it comes to fighting the scourge of the right. I dont recall big tech pushing back against all the calls for rioting and violence by the left over the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Don't worry, this power will only ever be used against bad people.

And to the other half, thinking "whenever you cheer on an institution's power to suppress your enemies, stop and consider if those powers could be used against you" counts as an original, critical thought is evidence of a deeply enclosed bubble. You'd have to be in one to not realise that this is a reality most people live. They don't just have to consider it, they see it, all the time, for inciting violence that many degrees lighter than insurrection.

The rules apply to all of us. The hand is quick to slap. Trump and his white supremacist or otherwise violent supporters have been given more rope than anyone could possibly deserve, and it gets taken away, and suddenly it's an issue.

I'll say it again. We're talking about inciting violence here. We're talking about people whose ideology includes nazism and whose intentions include a violent overtaking of democracy. Aren't you supposed to be a liberal? And you can't see the unique qualities of this issue? I mean sure Cliff, if Bernie Sanders says go topple the government and overthrow democracy, please let them come for him to. If you want us to consider whether we as individuals would be ok if someone came after us for being nazis or threatening to kill people? Yes, please, come after us. Do it quickly!

"The right" by the largest degree, remains unphased and untouched by these actions. The right is not wholly guilty and thus are not wholly punished. Justifiably so, why would they be? This is not a restriction of political ideology, it's a restriction of violence and the incitement of violence. How can you possibly sit there and not understand this issue? Figure it out, man. Stop with the philosophical platitudes and ruminations about culture wars and think about an issue critically for once.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 01-10-2021 at 11:09 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #228
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348307942118928389
https://twitter.com/user/status/1348309963555418112

It’s a travesty of Justice the way Twitter is handling this. First they came for the Nazis and I said nothing...
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #229
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The pure, untouched naivety of believing that social media platforms have only ever silenced the "right," or that "they could use this against you, too!" qualifies as a remotely critical or new thought, is astounding to me.

Completely evident some people are living in very privileged little bubbles. It's outrageous. But sure, it would be totally unheard of for someone on the left to be suspended for inciting violence against Trump, or even nazis, or hell, even saying someone deserves to be slapped. That's definitely never happened.

It honestly must be nice to have so much privilege that you honestly believe you're the first to face whatever "persecution" you're facing, and that you're some kind of wise prophet when you tell others "this may happen to you!"

Welcome to the world. Nice of you to join it.
It's funny that people think this, like the left are untouched.

Look at Kim Seiver a writer/reporter type here in Alberta who's written about Alberta politics and some of the lies presented by the UCP, most notably that "Doctors earn *insert percentage here* more than doctors in other provinces"..

He's been banned for quoting the movie field of dreams and someone reported him. I don't know the quote but it's obviously not just the right.

Always acting like victims because of their own actions.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #230
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 01-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #231
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ex-presidents have an exclusive clubhouse in Washington that they're all at liberty to use. Apparently they sometimes hang out at this place. I wonder if they'll be changing the locks.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #232
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifffletcher View Post
quasi- monopolistic communication platforms banning politicians raises issues of political interference. It's possible to be concerned about those issues while also believing they were justified in using those powers in this instance.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1347729973600268288
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #233
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaun rules.

His video on The Bell Curve is a masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #234
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Uh, okay. Yay, they made the right decision! Woo-hoo! High-fives and on-point gifs for everybody.

I think in terms of universal principles. That's just the way my mind works. It also happens to be the way most of our laws and institutions operate (or are supposed to operate).

Quasi- monopolistic communication platforms banning politicians raises issues of political interference. It's possible to be concerned about those issues while also believing they were justified in using those powers in this instance.
I tend to think in the same way (universal principles) and appreciate the point of view on this. It is something we all need to consider.

Having said that, I think we all agree that there are extremes of behaviour that justify these types of actions of censorship and control. So the debate then becomes if you believe Trump and his ilk are the extreme that goes over the line, and not merely the start of the incline of the slippery slope.

For me, his behaviour clears the line of extremism that needs to be taken action against, and so doesn’t really create concern over ‘where does this go from here’. It is only his behaviour over the last 4 years that even makes it debatable, as he has normalized such egregious acts that we have to contemplate how much worse this is than any kind of reasonable range of normal.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #235
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Republicans have no way to communicate now," communicates Republican to millions of viewers on Fox News.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348298092395728896
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #236
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.) said while some GOP members of Congress "share responsibility" for misleading the supporters of President Trump who stormed the U.S. Capitol last week, others feared physical violence if they opposed objections to the 2020 election results.

"They were being lied to. They were being misled," he said of the demonstrators. "Some of my colleagues in Congress, they share responsibility for that. Many of them were fundraising off of this Stop the Steal grift."

But other Republicans, he argued in an interview with the libertarian magazine Reason, "had legitimate concerns about the safety of their families. They felt that that vote would put their families in danger."
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...results-due-to

There are no words.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #237
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am glad for Trump to be silenced, and will be glad if he is impeached again and removed, but I'm also kind of sickened by the political leaders who have changed their songs only after being put in personal danger. The direction of Trump's efforts has all been so transparent for such a long time, and there was plenty of time to take meaningful action before getting to this point a couple of weeks before the end of his term. Many so called leaders are only willing to speak out when the cost of doing so has become extremely low, and those are still people in leadership for years to come.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #238
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I am glad for Trump to be silenced, and will be glad if he is impeached again and removed, but I'm also kind of sickened by the political leaders who have changed their songs only after being put in personal danger. The direction of Trump's efforts has all been so transparent for such a long time, and there was plenty of time to take meaningful action before getting to this point a couple of weeks before the end of his term. Many so called leaders are only willing to speak out when the cost of doing so has become extremely low, and those are still people in leadership for years to come.
Agreed.

It has become all too clear that the only principled stand that many politicians are willing to take is to stand for re-election and that they will do and say just about anything to stay in office.

Most don’t care about the country, their constituents, or even their donors. They just care about themselves.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #239
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Agreed.

It has become all too clear that the only principled stand that many politicians are willing to take is to stand for re-election and that they will do and say just about anything to stay in office.

Most don’t care about the country, their constituents, or even their donors. They just care about themselves.
I agree with you but as things currently stand in the U$ political system, I'm not sure it is remotely possible for the truly principled people to attain office nowadays.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #240
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
"Let's burn down the city to fight injustice. Death to MAGA."

Twitter: " fight the good fight, noble soldiers."

"I think Chrissy Teigan is a pedo, check out all these gross tweets she made."

Twitter: " get this ####ing monster off our platform."
This just isn't true. This is bothsidesism nonsense. Thousands of posters calling for violence on the left were suspended.

The reason it seems to be happening to the right mostly is because.....

They are by faaaar the major player in violence and harrassment
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: