Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #1841
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
These people will never be happy about anything. Their entire perspective is based on grievance.
Stealing this thought from something I heard on Colbert, but it seems like Republicans have this idea that the side that is the most angry about losing an election should be the winners.

All the talk about 74+ million voting for Trump and rally sizes while discussing the actual election results just speaks to that. They truly believe that if a minority of voters wants something more than a majority who are less committed, then the minority should win.

That 74+ million number does scare me though. Even if you assume only 2/3rds are hardcore Trump supporters and not just stubborn party voters, that is still a lot of crazies in that country. A lot of dictatorships around the world have been formed with less support than that.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #1842
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Stealing this thought from something I heard on Colbert, but it seems like Republicans have this idea that the side that is the most angry about losing an election should be the winners.

All the talk about 74+ million voting for Trump and rally sizes while discussing the actual election results just speaks to that. They truly believe that if a minority of voters wants something more than a majority who are less committed, then the minority should win.

That 74+ million number does scare me though. Even if you assume only 2/3rds are hardcore Trump supporters and not just stubborn party voters, that is still a lot of crazies in that country. A lot of dictatorships around the world have been formed with less support than that.
That's a bad take. What they are saying is that nearly half the country voted for the guy, so unless you think that half the country is a bunch of racist insurrectionists, you're completely out to lunch and calling them racist irredeemable deplorables isn't getting you anywhere.

I think it's probably closer to 30% hardcore trumpers and 70% anyone but the Dems.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #1843
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
These people will never be happy about anything. Their entire perspective is based on grievance.
They've been completely brainwashed with propaganda. And all of these people should be held accountable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349732479440048135
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #1844
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw on NBC News just now that 2 more police officers based out of Virgina have been arrested for participating in the storming of the Capitol. Not surprised to see law enforcement involved but it's still disappointing.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #1845
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
That's a bad take. What they are saying is that nearly half the country voted for the guy, so unless you think that half the country is a bunch of racist insurrectionists, you're completely out to lunch and calling them racist irredeemable deplorables isn't getting you anywhere.

I think it's probably closer to 30% hardcore trumpers and 70% anyone but the Dems.
Based on the House speeches yesterday, I think the number is much higher assuming that the representatives are a cross-section of the voters.

There are probably a lot Trump supporters that tone it down in their day-to-day lives, but would support overthrowing the government to keep him. They might not be rally attending, sign carrying supporters, but ardent enough to support the cause if things got that close.

I also never said half the country were a bunch of racist insurrectionists, but perhaps 2/3rd of Trump voters may be. That would be about 50 million people, or roughly 15% of the population.

If you had 10 random Americans in a room, what do you think the chances are that more than 1 of them believes the election was stolen and that Trump should force himself to hold on to power? I don't think the idea is as fringe as people hope it is.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-14-2021 at 12:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #1846
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still trembling right now. I went to one of the local big box hardware stores over lunch to pick up a couple things for a project I'm working on. I wore my Sig Sauer hoodie because its a little cool out today, not thinking much of it. I got my stuff and was walking through the parking lot when I heard someone say, "nice shirt." I said thank you, acknowledging the rather large bubba loading up his truck. He said that he had just bought a few Sigs so I asked him what he got, being interested in another Sig owner. He gave me his list, telling me he dropped $8K to buy the stuff, "before the communists took over and we had to start killing Democrats." I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. I just stared at him, then got in my vehicle and drove away in stunned silence. This country is getting ready to burn down. I'm seriously still shaking.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 01-14-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #1847
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FBI put up a site for tracking all charges related to the riots.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/investig...olence-capitol
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #1848
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may help explain the Capitol debacle.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tter-far-right

"Police in the United States are three times more likely to use force against leftwing protesters than rightwing protesters, according to new data from a non-profit that monitors political violence around the world."
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #1849
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm still trembling right now. I went to one of the local big box hardware stores over lunch to pick up a couple things for a project I'm working on. I wore my Sig Sauer hoodie because its a little cool out today, not thinking much of it. I got my stuff and was walking through the parking lot when I heard someone say, "nice shirt." I said thank you, acknowledging the rather large bubba loading up his truck. He said that he had just bought a few Sigs so I asked him what he got, being interested in another Sig owner. He gave me his list, telling me he dropped $8K to buy the stuff, "before the communists took over and we had to start killing Democrats." I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. I just stared at him, then got in my vehicle and drove away in stunned silence. This country is getting ready to burn down. I'm seriously still shaking.
People are saying this in Rural Northern Alberta too. Reasonable (I thought) friends of mine.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #1850
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I feel ya man.

Frontline had a segment on Alex Jones/Infowars last night and went back to see now just how it all started but also why it started.

Really good piece for sure but the way the whole Jones/Stone/Trump triumvirate lined up and moreso, when they lined up was fascinating stuff and almost couldnt have been better timing.

It explains a LOT of what you experienced today and how we got to this point.

I have admitted to myself in the last year or so that i had no idea how deep this stuff had gotten and certainly had no idea of the scope of how many actually got turned. Having lived down there for over 10 years i figured i had a pretty good grasp of the general feelings but was never figuring how fast things could change. I was so wrong about those two things.

Its almost feeling that something ELSE has to happen (bigger, more jarring, whatever) before the small segment of violent and bigger segment of sabre rattlers among Trump mafia realize what it is they are "fighting" for.

It really is asinine but here we are.

Stay safe old friend.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #1851
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
People are saying this in Rural Northern Alberta too. Reasonable (I thought) friends of mine.
The way that Albertan's project American politics into their lives is shocking.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #1852
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Confederate flag guy turned himself in.

He is not from Calgary.....home is Delaware.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #1853
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This may help explain the Capitol debacle.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tter-far-right

"Police in the United States are three times more likely to use force against leftwing protesters than rightwing protesters, according to new data from a non-profit that monitors political violence around the world."
Yeah, anyone still trotting out the old "the left needs to compromise and start the healing" bull#### should not be taken seriously.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #1854
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if this leads to more checkstops on the routes into DC this weekend.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349830897940492297

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #1855
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
FBI put up a site for tracking all charges related to the riots.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/investig...olence-capitol
You can go through and read the affidavits and statement of facts, complete with the pictures and video evidence on each accused.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #1856
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
You can go through and read the affidavits and statement of facts, complete with the pictures and video evidence on each accused.
Even their social media posts. Great link.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #1857
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

USA Olympic Gold medal swimmer among them.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1354311/download
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #1859
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
USA Olympic Gold medal swimmer among them.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1354311/download

I was expecting Ryan Lochte, but a guy named Klete is just as fitting.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #1860
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I was expecting Ryan Lochte, but a guy named Klete is just as fitting.
Yeah I saw Klete and my first thought was "thats not how you spell Lichtenstein!"

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: