Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #1741
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I don't have a parler account nor have I ever been on Parler but what's wrong with having been on parler?
Quote:
Parler has a significant user base of Donald Trump supporters, conservatives, conspiracy theorists, and right-wing extremists.[8][9][10][11] Posts on the service often contain far-right content,[16] antisemitism,[23] and conspiracy theories such as QAnon.[27]
SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parler

I've never visited but does not sound like my cup o' tea.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #1742
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Six hours of paralysis: Inside Trump’s failure to act after a mob stormed the Capitol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...vtDDd3mSj74HBc
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #1743
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gross world where people both care and share the homes of potential users of an app. It’s not illegal to be a conservative crack pot.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #1744
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah, given the current climate, sharing something that identifies homes of people with accounts on Parler is not good. I would think quite a few people joined out of curiosity, or joined out of wanting a conservative community or something but weren't themselves extreme or participating in promoting anything dangerous. You simply can't tell why someone joined or what they were doing from this, but people may make assumptions about neighbors, friends, coworkers, businesses etc. based off of this. I hope nobody who joined Parler merely out of curiosity or used it for harmless purposes ends up with their home being vandalized or suffering in some other undeserved way. I never joined, but I was certainly curious to see what was going on in that bubble.
Witch hunt versus slippery slope. There are people who went to Washington in the 6th to demonstrate and were not involved in the actual storming of the building. They were blocks away. Should they be lumped in with everyone? Identifying people on Parler and using it against them is really dangerous.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #1745
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a parler account nor have I ever been on Parler but what's wrong with having been on parler?
Nothing.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #1746
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Note that it's not a map of users, it's a map of EXIF locations of videos uploaded by users; Parler was so poorly designed it did not wipe EXIF data off video uploads.

One would think that those uploading videos (I picture most of these are rants inside a truck cab while wearing Oakley's) puts you in a more engaged userbase but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #1747
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Note that it's not a map of users, it's a map of EXIF locations of videos uploaded by users; Parler was so poorly designed it did not wipe EXIF data off video uploads.

One would think that those uploading videos (I picture most of these are rants inside a truck cab while wearing Oakley's) puts you in a more engaged userbase but who knows.
Makes sense. They only listed 44,000 accounts in the US, and I think the number was well into the millions.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #1748
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parler

I've never visited but does not sound like my cup o' tea.
Not my cup of tea either, but having been on Parler or uploaded content to Parler in itself isn't a condemnation of a person. How someone used it and what they uploaded could justify a condemnation, but that should really be left to law enforcement. I don't feel that making this info public is ethical.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #1749
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

It could be like here. People posting funny gifs.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #1750
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Not my cup of tea either, but having been on Parler or uploaded content to Parler in itself isn't a condemnation of a person. How someone used it and what they uploaded could justify a condemnation, but that should really be left to law enforcement. I don't feel that making this info public is ethical.
Shows how much Parler cares about their users privacy I guess. No real surprise.

These types of privacy issues don't mean much to most people though. It certainly hasn't hurt tiktok's popularity. Or Facebook. Or Instagram.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #1751
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly.... So I'm sure shortly you'll be able to view the video that these individuals uploaded and then determine how they should be treated going forward.

I keep warning my kids that the internet never forgets...

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #1752
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It could be like here. People posting funny gifs.
Not really... uploading a funny gif wouldn't include the exif data of the location you uploaded the gif from.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #1753
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have a Stormfront account nor have I ever been on Stormfront but what's wrong with having been on Stormfront?

Nothing apparently.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #1754
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Shows how much Parler cares about their users privacy I guess. No real surprise.

These types of privacy issues don't mean much to most people though. It certainly hasn't hurt tiktok's popularity. Or Facebook. Or Instagram.

Wasn’t it the companies distancing themselves from Parler including whomever provided security, which ended up exposing this and making it easily hackable?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #1755
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These types of privacy issues don't mean much to most people. It certainly hasn't hurt tiktok's popularity. Or Facebook. Or Instagram.
I don't know a lot about Parler, but my understanding from what little I've seen regarding this was that when they started getting dropped by other tech companies that provided services to them, it included being dropped by the company providing some aspects of security for their login and admin access, which resulted in all of this info becoming easily hacked.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #1756
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Parler meta data in conjunction with the data provided by the cellphone repeater in the Capitol are going to provide a very damning amount of evidence against individuals. The question about why its so bad to have been on Parler is it establishes membership in a group that engaged in a seditious action against the United States of America. Your membership has immediately made you a suspect in the acts that took place on the 6th. Once the data from the repeater is used to determine location of devices and ownership, your Parler history is going to be crucial in putting you in prison should you have made inflammatory statements on the site, then been present in the Capitol building. Your digital fingerprints build the case against you.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #1757
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Twitter vs Parler is much like Trump’s legal ability as President vs. Candidate.

With his executive orders he had some of the most skilled legal minds in the country enact his wishes.

As a candidate, clowns showed up to enact his phony claims of election fraud and we’re laughed away.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/20/o...e=articleShare

Quote:
My job was to tailor the administration’s executive actions to make them lawful — in narrowing them, I could also make them less destructive. I remained committed to trying to uphold my oath even as the president refused to uphold his.

But there was a trade-off: We attorneys diminished the immediate harmful impacts of President Trump’s executive orders — but we also made them more palatable to the courts.

This burst into public view early in the Trump administration in the litigation over the executive order banning travel from several predominantly Muslim countries, which my office approved. The first Muslim ban was rushed out the door. It was sweeping and sloppy; the courts quickly put a halt to it. The successive discriminatory bans benefited from more time and attention from the department’s lawyers, who narrowed them but also made them more technocratic and therefore harder for the courts to block.
Quote:
Unlike the Trump Justice Department, the Trump campaign has relied on second-rate lawyers who lack the skills to maintain the president’s charade. After a recent oral argument from Rudy Giuliani, Judge Matthew Brann (a Republican) wrote that the campaign had offered “strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence.” Even judges appointed by Mr. Trump have refused to throw their lots in with lawyers who can’t master the basic mechanics of lawyering.

After four years of bulldozing through one institution after another on the backs of skilled lawyers, the Trump agenda hit a brick wall.
Much like the Republican Party lawyers vs. the Justice Department... Parler’s security is a joke compared to Twitter.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #1758
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Parler meta data in conjunction with the data provided by the cellphone repeater in the Capitol are going to provide a very damning amount of evidence against individuals. The question about why its so bad to have been on Parler is it establishes membership in a group that engaged in a seditious action against the United States of America. Your membership has immediately made you a suspect in the acts that took place on the 6th. Once the data from the repeater is used to determine location of devices and ownership, your Parler history is going to be crucial in putting you in prison should you have made inflammatory statements on the site, then been present in the Capitol building. Your digital fingerprints build the case against you.
This is ridiculous. Your activity will make you a suspect or it won't. Look how many members are on CP that are basically ghosts. It's the same on any site or social media service. Stop being dramatic.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #1759
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Wasn’t it the companies distancing themselves from Parler including whomever provided security, which ended up exposing this and making it easily hackable?
Umm no...

It was available through their public API. They also named uploaded assets sequentially so the first video was .../dir/video1.xyx and the second uploaded was ../dir/video2.xyx so pretty easy to scrape.

Anything 'deleted' wasn't removed form these asset locations, just hidden from the front end so scraping reveals everything.

It wasn't a hack, it's all available through the API or knowing where to look and form the appropriate URLS.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #1760
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
As an enforcement issue it's great, the concern is the privacy and social side, guilty by association.