Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #2001
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This is amazing stuff.

Its the videos that were streamed on parler from the rally to the capitol in real time. Preserved for history.

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #2002
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This is amazing stuff.

Its the videos that were streamed on parler from the rally to the capitol in real time. Preserved for history.

Wow. That is something.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #2003
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
This is amazing stuff.

Check out the 2nd video from 1:27 Near Capitol at about 1:01
An officer behind the barricade grabs a water bottle off the ground and tosses it behind him bagging another officer.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #2004
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I was thinking more along the line of selling 'Indulgences' but you get the idea.
Oh I got it, but indulgences are a one time payout, not a way to get good returns. Not in the age of micro transactions.

The Vatican will need to sell indulgence loot boxes if they want to keep up with the other churches.

Buy them until you get one with the sin you need. Great way to get into the Streaming community.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #2005
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

more unseen footage of the rioters inside congress chambers and storming the entrances

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-...ing-with-cops/
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #2006
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

God what a bunch of idiots. To think that so many of these idiots are going to go to jail for such a poorly executed, useless, disorganized insurrection. Watching that video it’s obvious almost everyone went in with a different agenda. You can tell so many of them didn’t even know what to do with themselves when they got inside, must have been pretty disappointing to realize that you’re entering an empty room, with no power to enact any laws or really do anything except break things and steal some stuff and then go to jail for a really long time. When I see how staggeringly stupid these people an awesome wave of relief washes over me knowing that these people could never truly get their #### together to accomplish anything, really, ever.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #2007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thank god they're incompetent and stupid. This could have been far worse if there had been any planning to it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #2008
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

They did plan it and they succeeded to do what they had planned. This was a total and complete success as far as the Trumpers were concerned. Well, at least until they found out Pence and the rest of the republicans in the senate sold them out. That and they didn’t realize they’d be arrested for their actions.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #2009
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
This is amazing stuff.

Wow. The first ‘inside’ video captures the officer they chased up the stairs from another vantage point. I had read that he redirected them at the top away from the unsecured chamber, and wasn’t sure how exaggerated that was. But this shows that it really was the first thing that happened, and you can see the press member on the other side of the officer (who filmed the clip we’ve all seen).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #2010
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Wow. The first ‘inside’ video captures the officer they chased up the stairs from another vantage point. I had read that he redirected them at the top away from the unsecured chamber, and wasn’t sure how exaggerated that was. But this shows that it really was the first thing that happened, and you can see the press member on the other side of the officer (who filmed the clip we’ve all seen).
What a terrifying situation that would have been. It's fortunate that the people who were forcing him back didn't seem to be among those out for the blood of anyone standing in their way and that the crowd wasn't armed like a group engaged in civil war, because he would have been utterly helpless with that wave of people coming in.

The collection of videos as a whole is just madness. It's like watching an amalgam of every Trump rally ever held being unleashed inside the Capitol. The ignorant, bigoted, entitled and angry elements of American culture coming home to roost in a place where the growth of those segments has been enabled and encouraged through decades of cynical policies and rhetoric. A rabble of the worst sides of American culture, aimed at the heart of democracy by a president who is himself the embodiment of all the worst aspects of American culture.

Had the mob entered the Capitol with the intent to kill everyone in their way, it would have been a blood bath. They were collectively much more restrained and peaceful than they could have been. The US is fortunate to have made it through the 6th so lightly scathed. I hope so very much that the crazies aren't planning the next round to be more like an actual civil war.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #2011
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
They did plan it and they succeeded to do what they had planned. This was a total and complete success as far as the Trumpers were concerned. Well, at least until they found out Pence and the rest of the republicans in the senate sold them out. That and they didn’t realize they’d be arrested for their actions.

So they're idiots, and yes idiots make plans that are usually idiotic.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #2012
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
more unseen footage of the rioters inside congress chambers and storming the entrances

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-...ing-with-cops/
I hope that clown wearing the Grand Poobah's hat is never released from prison.

What. An Idiot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:31 PM   #2013
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This is amazing stuff.

Well this a ugly rabbit hole I shouldn't go down.
But I will, there goes the next 2-3 hours of my life. 3 hours in I'm less than half way, bed time.

(that was a thanks btw)

For anyone who thinks the police just rolled over and let them in, 2:28. They were overwhelmed.

Last edited by #-3; 01-18-2021 at 12:20 AM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:10 AM   #2014
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is amazing stuff.

This playlist with 200+ videos captures a pretty good timeline of the events as well.

Some of the crazier stuff (other than the obvious storming of the building) are the damn nut jobs on planes chanting for USA and Trump. Absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupidity. Imagine being on a plane with a bunch of decked-out MAGAs spewing a bunch of Qanon/kill libruls crap and then a USA/Trump chant breaks out and the staff can't do anything. I'd be thinking the damn plane is going down any second.

Never ceases to amaze me the kids of people that exist in this world. Especially our southern neighbors. People literally are in tears when asked questions asked to explain their devotion to Trump. This is cartoon level stuff. Except it's real life. With tens of millions of followers. Like WTF.

One of my favorite head-shaking videos:

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-18-2021 at 05:13 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:23 AM   #2015
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This playlist with 200+ videos captures a pretty good timeline of the events as well.

Some of the crazier stuff (other than the obvious storming of the building) are the damn nut jobs on planes chanting for USA and Trump. Absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupidity. Imagine being on a plane with a bunch of decked-out MAGAs spewing a bunch of Qanon/kill libruls crap and then a USA/Trump chant breaks out and the staff can't do anything. I'd be thinking the damn plane is going down any second.

Never ceases to amaze me the kids of people that exist in this world. Especially our southern neighbors. People literally are in tears when asked questions asked to explain their devotion to Trump. This is cartoon level stuff. Except it's real life. With tens of millions of followers. Like WTF.

Yikes.

One of the videos in that library showed people walking down the halls of the Capitol, chanting “Treason! Treason! Treason!”.... I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #2016
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #2017
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Thank god they're incompetent and stupid. This could have been far worse if there had been any planning to it.
Castro must be rolling in his grave 'you call that a revolution?, I brought down Batista with a couple of hundred peasants living in the hills for years'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #2018
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Castro must be rolling in his grave 'you call that a revolution?, I brought down Batista with a couple of hundred peasants living in the hills for years'

I don't know why I laughed so hard at that, but it was close to a spit take.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #2019
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
God what a bunch of idiots. To think that so many of these idiots are going to go to jail for such a poorly executed, useless, disorganized insurrection. Watching that video it’s obvious almost everyone went in with a different agenda. You can tell so many of them didn’t even know what to do with themselves when they got inside, must have been pretty disappointing to realize that you’re entering an empty room, with no power to enact any laws or really do anything except break things and steal some stuff and then go to jail for a really long time. When I see how staggeringly stupid these people an awesome wave of relief washes over me knowing that these people could never truly get their #### together to accomplish anything, really, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I think that perspective makes it easy for people to minimize this as a bunch of good old boy doufuses just there for selfies vs any sort of real threat. I started feeling that way for a while until the rest of the news started coming out.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #2020
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I think that perspective makes it easy for people to minimize this as a bunch of good old boy doufuses just there for selfies vs any sort of real threat. I started feeling that way for a while until the rest of the news started coming out.
I'm concerned that the in-group/out-group mentality made even stronger by the emotional response to what happened on the 6th is resulting in the failure to recognize that the problems at the root of this insurrection are American problems, not just the problems of some hillbilly insurrectionists. Many of those people are victims of being conned as well. Why is it that tens of millions of Americans are so susceptible to that?

America needs to grapple with both how to bring the people who believe the lies back into a shared reality and how to address the root causes that made so many millions of Americans vulnerable to manipulation. Dismissing the millions of so-called deplorables won't make them disappear. It is quite possible that the left-right divide worsens out of a desire for vengeance and entrenched perception of individuals on the other side as the enemy. Really though, it's those people who have orchestrated and enabled the con to happen who should be targeted while the victims of the con should be helped back to reality and the systemic weaknesses that made them vulnerable should be addressed to prevent future cons.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: