Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #2021
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think this shows the Democrats need to rethink their Presidential candidates. Biden was weak.
Most votes in history...I think they need to rethink election laws
Old 11-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #2022
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I think this election should show every democracy that an upper age limit should be in place. Make it match retirement age.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #2023
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
I think this shows the Democrats need to rethink their Presidential candidates. Biden was weak.
Doubt it.

They could have had Jesus Christ run and I think we'd still see this.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #2024
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Everything showed Biden had the best chance to beat Trump. He won the nomination.

Who do you believe should be there instead that would be a better option?
Old 11-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #2025
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Stressful day knowing that Trump 2020 is still a possibility?
Nah, Biden has this. Frustrating day dealing with ignorant dip####s who know little about America or American politics and making claims that have zero support.

Quote:
I'm enjoying it. People are frothing at the mouth at the thought that Trump could still somehow win despite how awful he is.
Of course you are. #######s traditionally enjoy chaos and discord caused by others and the potential for things to spin out of control. So it only makes sense that someone like yourself would enjoy watching the slow motion destruction of a nation lead by the King of #######s and then enabled by deep seeded racist ideals of rednecks around the country, and apparently in Canada as well.

Quote:
There is more to this election than people voting for Trump because people are racist. Pigeonholing 65 million voters (a number double Canada's own population) to fit this narrative is why we are here contemplating what is wrong with America rather than celebrating a Democratic win.
Except that is exactly the problem here. A good chunk of the nation chose a racist, because he says and does the things they wish they could say and do. This is why so many of Trumps bad behaviors have been manifesting all across the nation over the past four years and are only getting worse. Decency is at risk here, and people like yourself make it a punchline to joke just so you can get your jollies. Pathetic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #2026
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Maybe it doesn't matter what you try to sell if someone won't buy it anyways?

There could be a ton of single issue voters out there that don't care about anything but that one issue that means everything to them.

Could be guns. If they really think the Dems will take their guns away like Trump says, they vote red. If they are pro-life, they're voting red. If they only care about stopping all immigrants at the border they are voting red. If they don't care about the environment and just want to open up everything with no regulations for the sake of jobs, they're voting red. If they only care about having a conservative SCOTUS they are voting red. If they love their health care and think the Dems will take that away from them they're voting red. Just some examples.

A lot of those voters might actually agree with the Dems on a lot of other issues, but if that one issue they are passionate about the most leans red, that's where their vote is going.

And that's not even taking into consideration the conspiracy theories, the endless Trump lies, gerrymandering, the amount of voters that get their political info from places like Facebook and Fox.

That's why I say this isn't on the Dems (well, not entirely), this is on the voters. Unless the Dems start lying, peddling conspiracy theories, take over Facebook, or start moving right on a bunch of issues we're probably going to have more of the same for the foreseeable future. And I'm not saying the Dems can't do anything to sway some votes......they can. But as long as there are voters out there that only care about one issue and that issue is clearly red/right/conservative, it will be tough to dominate the electoral college.
Is it that different for us here in Canada? I didn't vote for the CPC in the first Trudeau election because I staunchly disagreed with the omnibus crime bill. To me that was a make or break issue.

But I still agreed with the CPC on a lot of other things. And disagreed with the Liberals on a lot of things as well.

The bigger issue is that people are constantly trying to label voters into groups, and that clearly is being rejected here. How many times have we seen the whole 'Trump supporters are all racists' being thrown around here on CP? Is that the perception? Or actual reality?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1324004582360522752
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #2027
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Even if that lawsuit goes anywhere (I doubt it will), with Biden already ahead in Michigan, how does that even help Trump? I get wanting to stop ballot counting in places where Biden is losing but could conceivably come back (PA, GA, NC), but not in places where Biden is ahead. What's the strategy here?
Create chaos. Where there is chaos, there is opportunity.

If he can't win by conventional means, he is going to try unconventional means. We are talking about a state with a large number of militia types that just had a recent plot to overthrow their state government in coup.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #2028
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I think this election should show every democracy that an upper age limit should be in place. Make it match retirement age.
62 for running for president so you are done by 70 and 64 for Senators.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #2029
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah, but that won't happen any time soon, so work within the system that exists.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #2030
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you believe the Democrats are that inept that they didn't know the election laws?

Got to win before you can change them.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #2031
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He will end this vote count with the most presidential votes in the history of the country.

It’s not the Dems. It’s the fundamental composition of the US electorate and the vast discrepancy in education and information consumption between demographies.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 11-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #2032
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is it that different for us here in Canada? I didn't vote for the CPC in the first Trudeau election because I staunchly disagreed with the omnibus crime bill. To me that was a make or break issue.

But I still agreed with the CPC on a lot of other things. And disagreed with the Liberals on a lot of things as well.

The bigger issue is that people are constantly trying to label voters into groups, and that clearly is being rejected here. How many times have we seen the whole 'Trump supporters are all racists' being thrown around here on CP? Is that the perception? Or actual reality?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1324004582360522752
I don’t disagree with your sentiment just exit polls this year need to be looked at very closely to ensure they were calibrated against mail in voter rate.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #2033
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
An individual Trump supporter may or may not be a racist themselves, but by voting for Trump, they've made it clear that overt racism from their chosen candidate isn't a deal-breaker...and that's just as bad, IMO.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #2034
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but that won't happen any time soon, so work within the system that exists.
So who would have done better than Biden? Seems like the actual contenders would have surely lost

Obama could have done better but he can't run...Bernie would have got destroyed
Old 11-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #2035
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Ah, le olde "if only Democrats were Republicans, the Republicans would vote for them" argument.
Is calling your opponent a racist supported by racists an integral part of being a democrat? I don't think so.

There are two paths for the Democrats to move to the left. The first is to move more towards the "fighting for the working class" model, which involves embracing Bernie Sanders' economic vision and talking endlessly about class and income inequality, and attempting to convince people that you will help them improve their lives at the expense of a wealthy oligarchical class. The second is the "New York Times readership" model, which involves talking endlessly about race and gender and intersectionality, and attempting to convince people that your opponents are evil and you are pure and moral.

I think they need to do considerably more of the first one.
Quote:
Yeah, but this isn't going to happen when you have a narrow win and, it appears, no control over the senate. If a Biden landslide had actually materialized, this might have been in the cards. It won't be now. He'll be able to make foreign policy moves and will have to push all his political chips into the middle on health care issues and the coronavirus response.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #2036
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Well, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a Trump voter.
Or it could be a Republican voter who despises certain left ideology who only has 2 ways he can vote.

That's the problem with a 2 party system like the dysfunctional system in the US.

It's red or blue, black or white, us versus them, there is no in between. And some people will tolerate Trump simply because the other side's ideologies don't match their own. Whether it's guns, climate change, welfare, public healthcare, etc, there are some very contentious policies. Republicans have captured a good chunk of working class vote (something that has long been seen as a Democrat vote) for a reason.

You can be pro all of these, but against gun reform, and you will still vote republican. We can debate all we want about how stupid these people are but they still have a vote, and if there's 65 million plus of them, you can't simply just pretend they don't exist.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #2037
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AP Has also called Wisconsin for Biden.

Fox still hasn't, despite generally being first. Not sure if that's because of the likelihood of a recount. EDIT: Okay, nevermind, Fox just called Wisconsin for Biden.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #2038
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So who would have done better than Biden? Seems like the actual contenders would have surely lost

Obama could have done better but he can't run...Bernie would have got destroyed
Based on what? The super accurate polls?
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #2039
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Doubt it.

They could have had Jesus Christ run and I think we'd still see this.
Couldn't disagree more.

A candidate running on feed the hungry and heal the sick with a Mexican name?

Trump would run away with that election.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #2040
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we should wait until all the votes are counted...Biden could run the table on what is left