Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #1121
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

My MIL is on her 4th Murano. She just keeps on getting a new one every time her lease is up. I've had a chance to drive all of them. They are comfortable and roomy, the drivetrain is smooth and quiet, the build quality seems decent, and neither of them have had any reliability issues. On the other hand, steering feel is non-existent, the rearward visibility is bad, and the exterior styling gets worse with every generation.

They are solid options for people who have very little interest in driving (so most of the population). For the rest of us, it's a soul numbing appliance.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #1122
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to rent cars often so I'm quite familiar with rental brands like Nissan, Ford, Chev etc. Nothing screams cheap, especially the interior, like Nissan. In some cases I would actually prefer an early 2000s vehicle (any other make) than a new Nissan.

I prefer Honda/Toyota and I would take a Ford/Chev over any Nissan 100% of the time.

Yet I still see them quite often, maybe people just don't know the difference if they dont shop around?

I actually laughed out loud when I read the "luxury" comment above. Maybe she just isn't familiar with any other competing brand....
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #1123
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I used to rent cars often so I'm quite familiar with rental brands like Nissan, Ford, Chev etc. Nothing screams cheap, especially the interior, like Nissan. In some cases I would actually prefer an early 2000s vehicle (any other make) than a new Nissan.

I prefer Honda/Toyota and I would take a Ford/Chev over any Nissan 100% of the time.

Yet I still see them quite often, maybe people just don't know the difference if they dont shop around?

I actually laughed out loud when I read the "luxury" comment above. Maybe she just isn't familiar with any other competing brand....
I always ask for a different brand from a rental company when they offer a Nissan. I would much rather have a Hyundai if I'm getting into a cheap rental.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #1124
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Do the current gen Nissans still have the god awful orange backlit display for HVAC and dash lights?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #1125
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I always ask for a different brand from a rental company when they offer a Nissan. I would much rather have a Hyundai if I'm getting into a cheap rental.
A Hyundai in any iteration is probably amongst your best 'mainstream' rental options this day and age.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #1126
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
A Hyundai in any iteration is probably amongst your best 'mainstream' rental options this day and age.
Maybe in Canada. In the US it certainly feels like Nissan is the brand of rental fleets.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #1127
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Ugh the used small truck market sucks. So few options.

Someone convince me that I shouldn’t go for a Ford Ranger, because they basically tick every box I need except for my no Ford’s policy.

(I have a Sierra 1500, and haul material and brush often enough that I want a truck bed. Have looked at Japanese KEA trucks and El Camino types....)
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #1128
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The small pickup market is truly terrible.

If you can wait a few months, Ford is coming out with an all new Ranger for the 2022 model year.

The current model is really, really old despite just being reintroduced in North America.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #1129
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Someone convince me that I shouldn’t go for a Ford Ranger, because they basically tick every box I need except for my no Ford’s policy.

(I have a Sierra 1500, and haul material and brush often enough that I want a truck bed. Have looked at Japanese KEA trucks and El Camino types....)
How old? Would an Explorer Sport Trac have a big enough box? I think the look of those have held up extremely well considering they haven't made them since 2010.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #1130
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

If you can wait a few months, Ford is coming out with an all new Ranger for the 2022 model year.

The current model is really, really old.
Old but there are quite a few out there with 50,000-80,000 kms for under $17k. Which is ideal for me (I’m actually looking more $14k and under, so I’d be out on a 2022).
Old 01-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #1131
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old but there are quite a few out there with 50,000-80,000 kms for under $17k. Which is ideal for me (I’m actually looking more $14k and under, so I’d be out on a 2022).
Then it's probably your best bet. I can't suggest a Tacoma given their prices right now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #1132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered a utility trailer?

I love my S-10, but they stopped making them in 2004. The Frontier design is old AF, but it is the right size, and not to pricey.

The old Ranger's really don't drive all that well. They are what they are...some engines also have an issue where they crater themselves when a top bearing goes, oil pressure drops and blamo, so watch out for that. My buddy lost his that way. I'm not sure if it ever got fixed, I think his was a 2008.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #1133
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Then it's probably your best bet. I can't suggest a Tacoma given their prices right now.
Do these people think they are made out of gold or what?

They also had recall issues for rusted frames. Which is both bad, and means some have newer frames than the production date. Either way, I’m out on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How old? Would an Explorer Sport Trac have a big enough box? I think the look of those have held up extremely well considering they haven't made them since 2010.
Thanks for the suggestion... and I don’t want to be too mean here on your opinion. But I’d rather find an old Aztek.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #1134
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ford is also coming out with the Ford Maverick for 2022, that's supposed to be smaller than the Ranger. It will be unibody though (based on the Bronco Sport)... so I assume something of a Honda Ridgeline competitor.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1135
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you considered a utility trailer?

I love my S-10, but they stopped making them in 2004. The Frontier design is old AF, but it is the right size, and not to pricey.

The old Ranger's really don't drive all that well. They are what they are...some engines also have an issue where they crater themselves when a top bearing goes, oil pressure drops and blamo, so watch out for that. My buddy lost his that way. I'm not sure if it ever got fixed, I think his was a 2008.
The problem with the trailer is I don’t have the space. Barely have room for the Sierra as it is. Thanks for the suggestion and additional details though. I’ll probably just keep my truck forever... that’s how these searches always end for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #1136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'm content with waiting until someone finally makes something small and decent again, or the rust wins out. The other thing I've considered is a van, and just chucking stuff back there when I need to haul things. The Ford Transit Connect wouldn't be terrible, but it's a touch small, ultra utilitarian inside, more expensive than it should be, and kinda gutless. And a Ford.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #1137
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At which point the prices for the old ranger should tank, and you can then buy one and send it to Hennessey for a Velociraptor conversion. Win!

http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehi...9-ford-ranger/
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #1138
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^what does the velociraptor conversion cost, didnt see it in the video
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #1139
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Keep the Sierra?

Guy with older truck = respect.
Guy with new truck = just another fool.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #1140
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
^what does the velociraptor conversion cost, didnt see it in the video
About $85k US
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote