Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #61
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hyundai has really been Germanified over the last 15 years.

The Chief designer at Hyundai for the last five years was a guy named Luc Donckerwolke, and he oversaw the design of the Lamborghini Murciélago (among others).

Peter Schreyer, who designed the original Audi TT, the New Beetle when it was relaunched, brought the Kia Stinger to life, as well as the Soul and original Genesis sedan.

The current president of Hyundai is Albert Biermann, who ran the M division at BMW for a few decades, including the golden age of the M5. He was hired to create the N performance line of Hyundai, and now runs the whole show.

They’re worth a long look, for sure.

(Disclaimer: I work for Hyundai)
Hyundai's N division is real neat. They should introduce an AWD, manual, version.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #62
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Less than $5,000 is my definition - car runs great and hasn't given any problems but has hail damage and is hardly ever driven. No point keeping a second car around to just pay insurance on and never drive so might as well try to monetize it.
Throw it on here as well in the Buy and Sell.

I bought my kid's car from jroc, great to deal with.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #63
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The universe keeps telling me I need to by a G70
i bought mine last July. love it, great car.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #64
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hyundai's rise is enjoyable to watch, especially as someone who grew up with thousands of Quebec-plated Hyundai Ponys littering the roadsides.

Doug Demuro just bought a Kia Stinger:

His video was the first that seemed to grab people's attention, and one of the main reasons I bought one. I love it and every second I drive it is enjoyable, plus I got a pretty killer deal on it.

As for Chrysler, I've been pretty lucky - having driven a couple since the 1990s (1984 Omni, 1989 Dynasty, 1990s Caravan, 2008 Avenger) and never really had problems. The Omni was a tank and I almost wish I still had it, that thing was indestructible, but the clutch pedal took Herculean force to push it in.

Last edited by billybob123; 06-11-2020 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Fix Youtube link
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #65
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hyundai's N division is real neat. They should introduce an AWD, manual, version.
They should make the Veloster N as an AWD, I agree - it only comes in a manual for the time being.

There’s meant to be a Kona N arriving sometime in the foreseeable future, and that will have AWD (though no stick).

Nobody buys manuals anymore. I worked for Audi for five years, and when I started there, we had manuals in the A4/S4, A5/S5/RS5 and they even offered 6spd gearboxes on the A5 Sportback and Allroad - nobody bought them.

Or rather, people bought the five units we had, and nobody else asked About it or was willing to wait for one.

Drivers have only themselves to blame for the death of manuals.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #66
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's the general consensus on where and how to sell a low value used car these days? Just throw it up on Autotrader and Kijiji and ignore the low ballers?
Facebook Marketplace is also an option. If you’re selling a decent vehicle and it’s sub $5k it won’t take long. There’s always people looking for commuters or something for their kids.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #67
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi there, I have a nice white Jaguar convertible and dumb me chewed up a wheel rim on an angry curb.

If it can’t be repaired am thinking of going with some after market rims.

Any advice as to where to look here in town for a nice selection of upscale rims?

Thanks.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #68
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Dodge has 96 month financing, and Chrysler credit allows for 175% loan to value ratio. They’ve created their own inescapable cycle with their truck buyers. They’ve also historically flooded the market with their trucks drastically hurting their re sale value. They’ve really built brand loyalty by creating finance scenarios which their customers cant get out of by purchasing a GMC or Ford. So they convince theirs owners to “dig up” by simply financing another truck three years later “for a little more money, but full warranty”. It’s really sad, they draw customers back because to move out of a Ram to a GM or Ford generally means a huge payment jump (max 84 months) or they are unable to finance with anyone else do to their massive inequity their high for most other brand credit is capped at 125% loan to value.

On the SUV side, it’s the same with the Dodge Journey. New SUV for $200/ month, over 8 years. So many uneducated car buyers fall into this trap, and they to get caught in the same cycle as the truck buyers.

Dodge buyers tend to worry all about payment vs value, cost of ownership and future value.
Those numbers for Dodge are horrific. I know that a lot of people in Calgary have/had well paying jobs but I always wondered how people were affording all of these $80,000 and $90,000 trucks. I never understood the appeal of spending so much for a truck that is used for commuting 90% of the time when there are so many good cars available for significantly cheaper.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Those numbers for Dodge are horrific. I know that a lot of people in Calgary have/had well paying jobs but I always wondered how people were affording all of these $80,000 and $90,000 trucks. I never understood the appeal of spending so much for a truck that is used for commuting 90% of the time when there are so many good cars available for significantly cheaper.
There's a lot of small town Alberta and Sask people in this city that grew up driving a pickup truck and can't kick the habit. I always laugh at the guys that say they need a truck to haul things around and when you look at their beds they are in pristine condition from hauling nothing more than the odd large TV and hockey equipment.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #70
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's a lot of small town Alberta and Sask people in this city that grew up driving a pickup truck and can't kick the habit. I always laugh at the guys that say they need a truck to haul things around and when you look at their beds they are in pristine condition from hauling nothing more than the odd large TV and hockey equipment.
It's exactly the same as all these people running around in gas guzzling SUVs that will never tow anything and never go off road. Like, you don't need a friggin Yukon to drive to Banff, you tit.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #71
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Less than $5,000 is my definition - car runs great and hasn't given any problems but has hail damage and is hardly ever driven. No point keeping a second car around to just pay insurance on and never drive so might as well try to monetize it.
Here's what I do every time I sell a car (or anything really) on Kijiji.

1. Remove all your junk and give it a solid cleaning. Doesn't have to be show-car clean, but make it as nice as possible as you can in one afternoon. It's crazy how many people just leave all their junk in their car. If you added mods on the car, remove them if you can. Most people want clean, original cars.

2. Gather up as much service history on the car as you can, list the main points in your ad, and have them ready in a folder to show. Most people won't read your stack of papers, they just like to see a service history as it shows good ownership.

3. Take decent (no need for professional) photos, in good light. All 4 exterior sides, and relevant interior shots to show condition. Engine shot. Odometer shot. Extra tires/rims shot. Shoot it outside, not in your garage. I like late afternoon/early evening light as it's a bit softer/warmer.

4. Spend the time and write an ad with proper English/grammar. Remember, the buyer is not just judging the car...they are judging you. An ad is a reflection of who you are and how you took care of the car.

5. This one I think is key....disclose the stuff that's wrong with the car. It has multiple benefits. 1) It makes you a decent human. 2) It removes surprises, so you attract people who are ok with those deficiencies, and filters out those who aren't (to me this is hugely important, as I don't want to waste my time). 3) It removes a bargaining element for people to haggle over. Some people go looking for issues to use to lower the price (I know I do!)...remove a good chunk of their ammo.

6. Price it about 10-15% above what you want to sell it for. Gives people some room to haggle, to make themselves feel good. And if they don't haggle, bonus for you.

None of this is particularly revolutionary, but you'd be surprised how much your ad can stand out if you just do a little bit more than typical. Most people are lazy, and it costs them time and money in the long run. Every time I've sold a car, I've rarely ever had to show it to more than 2-3 people. Last week, the 3-series I bought for $4800 two years ago, I sold for $6000 with 24 hours. There's a similar car, priced for less, that's been on Kijiji for 2 months now because the ad is terrible.

Last edited by Table 5; 06-12-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #72
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Here's what I do every time I sell a car (or anything really) on Kijiji.

1. Remove all your junk and give it a solid cleaning. Doesn't have to be show-car clean, but make it as nice as possible as you can in one afternoon. It's crazy how many people just leave all their junk in their car. If you added mods on the car, remove them if you can. Most people want clean, original cars.

2. Gather up as much service history on the car as you can, list the main points in your ad, and have them ready in a folder to show. Most people won't read your stack of papers, they just like to see a service history as it shows good ownership.

3. Take decent (no need for professional) photos, in good light. All 4 sides, Relevant interior shots. Engine shot. Odometer shot. Extra tires/rims shot. Shoot it outside, not in your garage. I like late afternoon/early evening light as it's a bit softer/warmer.

4. Spend the time and write an ad with proper English/grammar. Remember, the buyer is not just judging the car...they are judging you. An ad is a reflection of who you are and how you took care of the car.

5. This one I think is key....disclose the stuff that's wrong with the car. It has multiple benefits. 1) It makes you a decent human. 2) It removes surprises, so you attract people who are ok with those deficiencies, and filters out those who aren't (to me this is hugely important, as I don't want to waste my time). 3) It removes a bargaining element for people to haggle over. Some people go looking for issues to use to lower the price (I know I do!)...remove a good chunk of their ammo.

6. Price it about 10-15% above what you want to sell it for. Gives people some room to haggle, to make themselves feel good. And if they don't haggle, bonus for you.

None of this is particularly revolutionary, but you'd be surprised how much your ad can stand out if you just do a little bit more than typical. Most people are lazy, and it costs them time and money in the long run. Every time I've sold a car, I've rarely every had to show it to more than 2-3 people. Last week, the 3-series I bought for $4800 two years ago, I sold for $6000 with 24 hours. There's a similarly car, priced for less, that's been on Kijiji for 2 months now, because the ad is terrible.
This is advice all directly applies to Tinder too!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #73
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
This is advice all directly applies to Tinder too!

1. Remove all your junk and give it a solid cleaning.

Are you going more in a Ken doll or Hostel direction here?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #74
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for the replies - common sense but helpful nonetheless. So...anyone want to buy an amazing used car?

Going once, going twice....
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:54 AM   #75
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hyundai has really been Germanified over the last 15 years.

The Chief designer at Hyundai for the last five years was a guy named Luc Donckerwolke, and he oversaw the design of the Lamborghini Murciélago (among others).

Peter Schreyer, who designed the original Audi TT, the New Beetle when it was relaunched, brought the Kia Stinger to life, as well as the Soul and original Genesis sedan.

The current president of Hyundai is Albert Biermann, who ran the M division at BMW for a few decades, including the golden age of the M5. He was hired to create the N performance line of Hyundai, and now runs the whole show.

They’re worth a long look, for sure.

(Disclaimer: I work for Hyundai)
DO I speak to you about a deal?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #76
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They should make the Veloster N as an AWD, I agree - it only comes in a manual for the time being.

There’s meant to be a Kona N arriving sometime in the foreseeable future, and that will have AWD (though no stick).

Nobody buys manuals anymore. I worked for Audi for five years, and when I started there, we had manuals in the A4/S4, A5/S5/RS5 and they even offered 6spd gearboxes on the A5 Sportback and Allroad - nobody bought them.

Or rather, people bought the five units we had, and nobody else asked About it or was willing to wait for one.

Drivers have only themselves to blame for the death of manuals.
Indeed. Eff those people. I’m doing my part.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #77
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
DO I speak to you about a deal?
I’m your Huckleberry.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't park your minivan near anything in case it spontaneously catches fire. That's the kind of Chrysler engineering I've come to expect.

https://jalopnik.com/chrysler-says-n...-or-1844017865
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #79
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
DashCams. Recently purchased and installed Thinkware f200.

I’ve toyed with the app some, but’s it’s buggy. Anyone else gotta Thinkware with wifi? How do you find it ?
Try this one more time.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #80
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those of you with an F150...any issues or thoughts on the moon roof? Just finishing up an order and can’t decide if I should add it or not. Online it seems like a fair amount of people have had issues, but of course complaints will always be skewed. Most of the vehicles we’ve owned have had sunroofs and we’ve never had an issue.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote