Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #341
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, I work in a field where I can make an opinion on how people feel or react because I experience it every day. There is a difference between knowledge and an opinion, maybe you should educate yourself. Things a person in Grade 2 could tell the difference between. And don't bring up anger or insults, you opened that can of worms yourself by your little cheap shot that started all this. Rather than be a man and do the right thing and apologize for that comment you have continued to show the quality of person you are.
No, I don't see it that way at all. I think your posts in this thread speak for themselves, and when you realized how your were coming off you backtracked. I am frightened there are people out there in positions of authority who who think this way which is why I said that. When your reaction to something you don't agree with is to act like a 13 year old and fire off insults, it speaks for itself.

I don't think there's any way we know what frame of mind Wideman was in at that moment, nor do I think the majority of people here would feel any different no matter what sweater he was wearing.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #342
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL wheel of justice turns again.

Would they give Crosby 20 games for something similar? Not a chance.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #343
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
The NHL wheel of justice turns again.

Would they give Crosby 20 games for something similar? Not a chance.
If McDavid did it, Henderson would probably be the one getting suspended.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #344
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-wideman-sus...esman-1.432643

more hardcore Flames fans surprised by the length of the suspension
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #345
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expecting something in the 12-14 game range.

Anyway, if 20 games indicates an intent to injure, what does that say about how useless Wideman is? A pro athlete travelling at speed, he couldn't even succeed in injuring an unsuspecting 47-year-man from behind with a carbon fibre stick.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #346
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
No, I don't see it that way at all. I think your posts in this thread speak for themselves, and when you realized how your were coming off you backtracked. I am frightened there are people out there in positions of authority who who think this way which is why I said that. When your reaction to something you don't agree with is to act like a 13 year old and fire off insults, it speaks for itself.

I don't think there's any way we know what frame of mind Wideman was in at that moment, nor do I think the majority of people here would feel any different no matter what sweater he was wearing.
Again, you are showing your integrity which amounts to about 0. I am done responding to you because this is de-railing the thread and your garbage is really not worth it. Looking at your post history I don't need to point out to other people what everybody already knows about you. Done.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #347
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Funny this matches the Lysack suspension when he tripped a linesman back in 1983.

the only thing that bothers me is that this is the same length of suspension that Todd Bertuzzi got for nearly killing a guy after a malicious and intentional attack after being warned by the NHL about retribution.

To me its probably the right call and punishment because it doesn't match up with the other suspensions that we've seen because its actions against a non player.
Yes, but 7 of those were playoff games and we all now that one playoff game equals 3.825112 regular season games. So, really Bertuzzi was suspended for 39.775784 games.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #348
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Yes, but 7 of those were playoff games and we all now that one playoff game equals 3.825112 regular season games. So, really Bertuzzi was suspended for 39.775784 games.
he also broke a neck and ended a career
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #349
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

independent arbitrator will reduce it IMO...their job is to compare it to past suspensions and incidents. They do not have to answer to an officials union or public pressure
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #350
The Voice of Reason
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It appears the NHL put far more weight into the result of the hit rather than the intent of the hit.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #351
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

From the Sportsnet website....

Old 02-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #352
curmudgeon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This is absolute garbage! Anyone who has played a contact sport and has been hit on the side of their head in a violent manner as Wideman was, would be temporarily stunned, or out on their feet. If you look at the screen grab from the Calgary Sun, it shows Wideman with his eyes rolled back into his head, that in itself shows that he was at the very least stunned, more than likely he was out on his feet. When this happens, instinct kicks in. In my unprofessional opinion, all Wideman saw was a body in front of him, quite possibly he thought it was an opposing player and hit him. In addition, on the same night, Milan Lucic suckerpunched a linesman, and got absolutely nothing. If this is NOT appealed, then it shows once and for all the inconsistency of the NHLs' disciplinary department. A certain newspaper scribe, whose idea of a contact sport is tiddlywinks, should take a basic course in First Aid, then he would see first hand what I am talking about.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #353
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
This is absolute garbage! Anyone who has played a contact sport and has been hit on the side of their head in a violent manner as Wideman was, would be temporarily stunned, or out on their feet. If you look at the screen grab from the Calgary Sun, it shows Wideman with his eyes rolled back into his head, that in itself shows that he was at the very least stunned, more than likely he was out on his feet. When this happens, instinct kicks in. In my unprofessional opinion, all Wideman saw was a body in front of him, quite possibly he thought it was an opposing player and hit him. In addition, on the same night, Milan Lucic suckerpunched a linesman, and got absolutely nothing. If this is NOT appealed, then it shows once and for all the inconsistency of the NHLs' disciplinary department. A certain newspaper scribe, whose idea of a contact sport is tiddlywinks, should take a basic course in First Aid, then he would see first hand what I am talking about.
In other words: " I am not responsible for my actions because of a contact sport"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #354
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
...nor do I think the majority of people here would feel any different no matter what sweater he was wearing.
Didn't this whole back-and-forth start when you called him out for speaking on behalf of what others were thinking?! Aren't you doing the exact same? You guys clearly disagree - let's move on!
The Following User Says Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #355
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It makes zero sense. What could his motive possibly be for running over a linesman?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #356
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
independent arbitrator will reduce it IMO...their job is to compare it to past suspensions and incidents. They do not have to answer to an officials union or public pressure
What suspensions for abuse of an official were not comparible?

I don't know if an arbitrator can change the interpretation by the league that it was intentional.

The league determined it was intentional, and FOR THAT ACTION, gave him an appropriate suspension.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #357
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that is severe punishment but justifiable. It basically sets the precedence that no player can touch an official. It's severe, but I think it's fair. Wideman now has some time to think about contributing more to the team than just lazily slack off on the ice. This gives the Flames a chance play Smid, Engelland, and kids from the farm team.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #358
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Didn't this whole back-and-forth start when you called him out for speaking on behalf of what others were thinking?! Aren't you doing the exact same? You guys clearly disagree - let's move on!
I'm not sure where you get that from... I was saying how people feel (whether it be one way or the other) isn't effected by the Jersey he was wearing. I also said that's what I "think".

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 02-03-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #359
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally fine with the suspension, officials need to be 100% off limits for contact, especially deliberate (even if not intent to injure).
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #360
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Wouldn't be so sure about that.
Closed Thread