Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #321
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
No, you're not the only one. Loyalty actually meant something back then. In a lot of major spots, you are seeing stars whine when things don't go their way.
It's happened in every generation. With social media and current hockey coverage the public just heard about it more now

Most trade demands never make it to the public
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 AM   #322
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post

I don't know if he'd be the third best centre on the roster. Looks pretty dynamic to me.
Do not want. No goals against the Oilers.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #323
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's hoping for another development in line with this rare delightful start to the season for Flames fans.

Don't know what it is, but Markstrom, full retros, VAN and EDM starting poorly then this seems like the stars aligning for the club. If Tre pulls off both he will have managed the most herculean effort he could manage to get the team to the promised land.

Why settle with half measures at this point. If you can turn Monahan and some combination of futures into a younger elite talent then do it.

We thought our window was open a few times in recent years but I dont think it truly was with the roster holes that lingered.

I think it's open for real now though with this promising new iteration of the club that looks confident and rejuvenated.

So I say let's go for it. Do your worst, Tre!

I'd rather the Jets toil with an unhappy Laine than get to dress PLD against us.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #324
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The host of the podcast @JMarshyBoscoe93 has tried to break Flames news before but I can’t remember if he’s ever gotten anything right...feel like he hasn’t.

Probably just trying to drum up traffic to his podcast
He has.

He got Petrovic correct and I believe he was right on at least one other occasion (Spencer Foo? I can’t remember).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 AM   #325
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Its pretty hard to see any of the other teams involved beating an offer including Laine plus. Hes weird AF but 22 years old and has scored 44 goals in a season and been solid in other years as well.

As much as the flames could build a package for dubois, I just don't see them having that caliber of asset to part with. Monahan, Dube, Mangiapane I've heard kicked around... I love them all but on the trade market I dont see them as anywhere near as valuable as Laine. Hate to be the wet blanket on it and love to be wrong and see them grab him without trading Lindholm or Tkachuk.

That being said roslovic is overrated something fierce and maybe they want quantity?
I think Monahan and Valimaki is what the BJs would want and I think that beats the Laine and Roslovic offer.

Established centre with years of control, potential top pairing defenseman from Finland who I’m sure Jarmo has a good read on. Two good assets in prime positions beats a star winger and sometimes centre anyway. I don’t think the Ohio connection of Roslovic means anything to Jarmo.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #326
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau + Bennett
For
Dubois

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mang
Dubois - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - Backlund - Leivo
Simon - Ryan - Gawdin
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 AM   #327
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Valimaki is close on value to PLD on his own.

Nope.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:26 AM   #328
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious if it ends up being Laine (and what else) for Dubois. Kekalainen must be considering the strong possibility that he will be in the same situation sooner rather than later with Laine. However, if that's the best offer, then that's the best offer, and he should take it.

It is too bad that we won't be privy to what the other final offers were from different teams, especially Calgary. I bet that there would be some packages that many people felt were more 'valuable' or 'made more sense' that Columbus decided not to go with.

The package that I am going to assume that Treliving is offering is Monahan + Bennett. Maybe another small add from either side to further balance the rosters/cap.

With Lindholm working out as a centre thus far (I thought he was mostly 'meh' last year at centre), and Backlund being his usual superhero 2-way self, I think Bennett is a trade-chip this year (which I am not terribly happy about, but what matters more is the return).

Monahan and Ryan together is only a slightly larger cap hit, but it is a less valuable package. Monahan + Mangiapane is too much value, as is Monahan + Dube IMO.

I really think the package offered from the Flames is Monahan + Bennett as the base. But who knows... Treliving might have been trying for a futures deal to maximize this roster's potential (which is what i most want).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:35 AM   #329
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I think Laine would work out poorly in Columbus long term. As enticing as he is to bring in right now.

The thing with Monahan is he has none of those question marks in terms of commitment, will also score a lot of goals, is a center, and will cost 2-3 million less than Laine.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 AM   #330
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Gaudreau + Bennett
For
Dubois

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mang
Dubois - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - Backlund - Leivo
Simon - Ryan - Gawdin
It would be difficult (cause Dubois is initially a sizeable downgrade) but I would. And it's mostly because I think Gaudreau will not re-sign here. Minor reason is it also makes our top lines bigger.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:45 AM   #331
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am wondering why Laine want's out of the Jet's organization so badly? Where did this come from? Let's save the "Everybody want's out of Winnipeg" jokes, I get it but what is really going on?

I don't see this is a financial dispute as I am sure the Jet's would pay fair market value for him. Is it a playing time or line combo? Beef with the coach? I know this talk has been out there for a while but it seems strange that this can't be resolved to everybody's satisfaction and it's coming to this?
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:57 AM   #332
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Jackets have a great young defense with Jones, Werenski, and Gavrikov. I doubt that they're interested in Valimaki.

If Treliving can get PLD for Monahan and a 1st, he should be banging Kekalainen's door down.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 AM   #333
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am wondering why Laine want's out of the Jet's organization so badly? Where did this come from? Let's save the "Everybody want's out of Winnipeg" jokes, I get it but what is really going on?

I don't see this is a financial dispute as I am sure the Jet's would pay fair market value for him. Is it a playing time or line combo? Beef with the coach? I know this talk has been out there for a while but it seems strange that this can't be resolved to everybody's satisfaction and it's coming to this?
https://www.thefourthperiod.com/oct-...ng-for-a-trade

Quote:
However, the Jets have remained engaged in discussions involving Laine and in Thursday night’s “Insider Trading” segment on TSN, Pierre LeBrun reported Laine’s agents believed a trade is best for all parties.

“His agents also made clear that it’s fair to say that given that Laine knows his name has been in trade discussions, and given that his usage in the lineup the last couple of years has been a constant topic of conversation – the fact that he doesn’t get consistent first-line minutes – his agents, Mike Liut and Andy Scott, do confirm that it probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and to the team if Patrik Laine is traded, and that there is clear communication between them and Kevin Cheveldayoff, the GM of the Winnipeg Jets, about this.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 04:09 AM   #334
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I actually think it’s fairly obvious and this will not be popular but there is about a zero percent chance Johnny Gaudreau re-signs in Calgary. Like. None. And there’s a lot of reasons that lead me to that and I don’t feel like it’s a Nostradamus opinion. He’s gone at the end of this contract and there’s no question about it.
It is always amusing when posters try to pass personal feelings as facts. Why would your crystal ball guess not be popular here? 3/4 of the board want to run the guy out of town regardless of how he plays. You know what else should happen? We should make Eric Francis the new President of the Calgary Flames. Make Calgary Great Again could be his slogan while he feeds his giant piles of BS to his faithful followers.

Last edited by dissentowner; 01-23-2021 at 04:15 AM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:16 AM   #335
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whilst the WPG offer sounds good, it does leave CLB with a massive hole at C, unless Grigorenko and Texier both step up to fill the gap. Their #1 C is basically Domi!!
We have all seen what it is like to have lights out wingers but no C to play with, which is why I think the blue jackets aren't jumping all over the WPG offer and looking around to see if there is something better, an offer that involves a C.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #336
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is always amusing when posters try to pass personal feelings as facts. Why would your crystal ball guess not be popular here? 3/4 of the board want to run the guy out of town regardless of how he plays. You know what else should happen? We should make Eric Francis the new President of the Calgary Flames. Make Calgary Great Again could be his slogan while he feeds his giant piles of BS to his faithful followers.
Uhhh....no.

People want him to be great.........as a Flame.

However he hasn't consistently played the way he needs to for almost 2 calendar years now. That includes two really really poor playoff appearances.

So if he can be used to make the team more properly constructed for more playoff success then thats what should 100% happen. That's called cheering for the logo on the front and not the name on the back.

But good rant though, even if entirely made up. Francis President? Faithful followers? 9/10
Old 01-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #337
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jets have to count their lucky stars if their own problems with Laine and Roslovic help them land Dubois. Curious what the final trade would look like, have to imagine there'd be more pieces involved.

still hope the Flames can swoop in, but I'm not holding my breath.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #338
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Some of the proposals in here are absolutely nuts. Spare parts will not acquire PLD and packages centered around Backlund or Hanafin won't either.

IMO it would have to start with Monahan +1st and even that is probably not enough as that 1st will likely be a mid to late round pick in a weak draft.

Monahan + 1st + Kylington could possibly work, though Laine + Roslovic is probably a better offer for the Jackets.

Frankly I will be shocked if we land PLD, teams like Montreal and Winnipeg appear to make more sense.
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #339
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Jets have to count their lucky stars if their own problems with Laine and Roslovic help them land Dubois. Curious what the final trade would look like, have to imagine there'd be more pieces involved.

still hope the Flames can swoop in, but I'm not holding my breath.
My guess if those are the warm bodies involved is that it goes

To WPG: PLD, CBJ 3rd rd 2021, prospect (Cliff Pu maybe?)

To CBJ: Laine, Roslovic
Old 01-23-2021, 07:20 AM   #340
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
Some of the proposals in here are absolutely nuts. Spare parts will not acquire PLD and packages centered around Backlund or Hanafin won't either.

IMO it would have to start with Monahan +1st and even that is probably not enough as that 1st will likely be a mid to late round pick in a weak draft.

Monahan + 1st + Kylington could possibly work, though Laine + Roslovic is probably a better offer for the Jackets.

Frankly I will be shocked if we land PLD, teams like Montreal and Winnipeg appear to make more sense.
Monahan + 1st and Columbus says no BUT Monahan + 1st + KYLINGTON! Columbus says YES! Lol
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote