Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2024, 08:29 AM   #2901
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody here want to start one for Chu? I mean, I would totally front the cost if somebody did the grunt work of collecting signatures.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 08:48 AM   #2902
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody here want to start one for Chu? I mean, I would totally front the cost if somebody did the grunt work of collecting signatures.
It does seem like it might be easier if the amount of signatures is 50% that voted in ward 4. You would need a hair under 15k. That seems doable in 60 days.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #2903
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be on brand if the petitioners were charged with violating privacy rules with respect to using the information the petitioner signers used. Assuming there wasn’t some other fine print involved.
How would you get charged with that when the person is knowingly and willingly giving their information?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:00 AM   #2904
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
How would you get charged with that when the person is knowingly and willingly giving their information?
If they sell/transfer the information to a 3rd party I’d imagine that would be some form of privacy violation, the hard part is proving that they did it.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:03 AM   #2905
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They are giving the information for the purpose of the recall, not to get berated with messaging about the Freedumb Convoy (not that these idiots will mind).

It's not really any different than a receptionist at a doctor's office using patient contact info (given for the purpose of communication with the clinic) for her MLM. Or perhaps a Health Minister using personal contact info (that is only given for HR purposes) to tearfully admonish doctors who have the audacity to point out his stupidity
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:17 AM   #2906
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Watching seemingly sane people fall for this clear grift is so disheartening. Will sanity prevail or are we fast tracking to become Texas basically lol
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:22 AM   #2907
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting that it looks like there are 6 paid positions that work 50-60 hrs a week. How is this thing funded?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:30 AM   #2908
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
It does seem like it might be easier if the amount of signatures is 50% that voted in ward 4. You would need a hair under 15k. That seems doable in 60 days.
The requirements is 40% of the population of the ward though which is 35k+ signatures. And only eligible voters can sign. I never understood why the requirement is calculated based on the total population and not the voting population.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 AM   #2909
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The requirements is 40% of the population of the ward though which is 35k+ signatures. And only eligible voters can sign. I never understood why the requirement is calculated based on the total population and not the voting population.
It's toothless legislation. They don't want you to actually be able to recall someone. They just want to give you the illusion of being able to.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 AM   #2910
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol, okay then yeah it will never fly.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 AM   #2911
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Interesting that it looks like there are 6 paid positions that work 50-60 hrs a week. How is this thing funded?
They run a private 'health care' company that drops people in wheelchairs off at hotels and lets them fend for themselves...probably.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:33 AM   #2912
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I'd imagine the War Room has made a sizeable contribution, but of course there is no way for us to really find out because our electorate repeatedly validates this blatant corruption.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:35 AM   #2913
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Curious: How many posters in this thread have read the legislation that enables recall petitions and sets out the rules?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:36 AM   #2914
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Because Jason Kenney and the UCP were really unpopular at the time he brought it in and he didn't want to be recalled himself.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:41 AM   #2915
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
Curious: How many posters in this thread have read the legislation that enables recall petitions and sets out the rules?
You made me look, and I found this...

Quote:
Eligibility to canvass for signatures
5(1) An individual may canvass on behalf of an authorized
participant in respect of a recall petition only if
(a) the individual has, for a period of 3 months immediately
before the date of canvassing, been an elector in the
electoral division named in the recall petition, and
(b) the individual meets the prescribed eligibility
requirements, if any.
(2) A person or organization shall not, either directly or indirectly,
(a) accept any inducement or monetary benefit for canvassing
on behalf of an authorized participant, or
(b) provide any inducement or monetary benefit to an
individual who canvasses for the purpose of collecting
signatures for a recall petition.
https://docs.assembly.ab.ca/LADDAR_f...5_bill-052.pdf

Am I reading that wrong, or have they already breached the regulations they wrote themselves? Not that I should be surprised, but, ####, come on.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:44 AM   #2916
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You made me look, and I found this...

https://docs.assembly.ab.ca/LADDAR_f...5_bill-052.pdf

Am I reading that wrong, or have they already breached the regulations they wrote themselves? Not that I should be surprised, but, ####, come on.
IAMNAL but I think the rule is that you can't be paid to canvas but you can likely be paid for other things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:50 AM   #2917
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s laid out a little better here:

https://www.calgary.ca/content/www/e...all.html#step1
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:53 AM   #2918
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
It’s laid out a little better here:

https://www.calgary.ca/content/www/e...all.html#step1
This answers that question of whether they continue to count or shred it if it doesn't meet the threshold.

Quote:
Elections Calgary will verify the petition within 45 days of the date the petition was submitted.

Elections Calgary will first count and verify that signatures total at least 40 per cent of the population in the Ward or Municipality.

Next, Elections Calgary will use a random statistical sampling method with a 95 per cent confidence level to determine the sufficiency of the petition. The verification process includes:

confirmation that each page of the recall petition contains the notice of recall petition,
confirmation that only original signatures have been collected,
a review of each signature line to ensure that the required information was provided (name, physical address, contact information, date, signature), and
confirmation that each signature has an accompanying signature from an adult witness, that to the best of their knowledge the person they are witnessing signing a recall petition is eligible to do so, and that the witness signed the required affidavit.
Incomplete or invalid signatures are screened out and are not included in the final count. If it becomes clear during any part of the verification process the final count will not meet the 40 per cent threshold, no further verification is done.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:58 AM   #2919
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like, in theory, they can't use the info collected for any other purpose. In practice? We know investigations drag on for years with perpetrators getting off scot-free, so there is probably little risk to accidentally photocopying everything.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #2920
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1770433425003929962
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote