Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #1681
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If we win the SC, I expect Backlund to be a big part of it.
yes, I think generally if a team wins the SC, their second line centre plays a pivotal role in that..
Old 07-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #1682
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Backlund hasn't played like Backlund in the playoffs yet. Small sample size, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe his game isn't built for the tighter playoff hockey.
Outside of periods one and two in game one, I thought he was actually quite good in that Ducks series, short as it was. Personally, I thought Monahan, Bennett, Backlund and Versteeg were the forwards that had strong showings.
The Following User Says Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #1683
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
yes, I think generally if a team wins the SC, their second line centre plays a pivotal role in that..
What I meant from that is that Backlund is the type of player who is essential the deeper you get into the SC playoffs.

BTW, the Hawks won SC's with a rotating list of meh 2nd line centres.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #1684
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
Outside of periods one and two in game one, I thought he was actually quite good in that Ducks series, short as it was. Personally, I thought Monahan, Bennett, Backlund and Versteeg were the forwards that had strong showings.
I believe he has 2 goals in 15 playoff games. Again it's a small sample, and he was okay against Anaheim, but far from the dominant player we saw in the regular season. Perhaps Frolik is a bigger part of his success than I thought and his injury slowed that whole line down.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #1685
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Probably the wrong thread for this but, has there been any mention of when Treliving will begin working on RFA contracts?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #1686
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody see a scenario where Kovalchuk lands with the Habs? Could be a good fit for both, depending on what the Devils want, and if the Kovalchuk is willing to play in Montreal. Last I remember, he only wanted to remain in the NY area a few years back.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #1687
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can trade Backlund, but what you can't do is trade him for a worse player that plays a less important position and makes more money just because he's 3.5 years younger and the handsomer swede.
You take that back right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #1688
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
Probably the wrong thread for this but, has there been any mention of when Treliving will begin working on RFA contracts?
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=162646
Old 07-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #1689
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jagr not signing yet gives me a bit of hope that he will sign cheap with the Flames for 1 year.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #1690
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Jagr not signing yet gives me a bit of hope that he will sign cheap with the Flames for 1 year.
I don't think that he will come cheap anywhere, but the one thing that the Flames can sell him on is opportunity to play first line minutes. I (unfortunately) don't think he will consider Calgary. It will be interesting to see where he does end up though.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #1691
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think that he will come cheap anywhere, but the one thing that the Flames can sell him on is opportunity to play first line minutes. I (unfortunately) don't think he will consider Calgary. It will be interesting to see where he does end up though.
Calgary, for all purposes, may be the best fit for both player and team. Flames are likely looking for a productive RW, a good mentor and reliable high-IQ player to play with Gaudreau and Monahan - and at a cheaper price. Jagr may be looking for top-six minutes with quality linemates and a chance to win. Calgary may be one of the few teams that could use a veteran RW. The whole Patrick Sharp situation on July 1 may indicate this is true.

I think really it comes down to two things - does Calgary want to bring on a 45-year old, and does Jagr want to play in Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #1692
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
What I meant from that is that Backlund is the type of player who is essential the deeper you get into the SC playoffs.

BTW, the Hawks won SC's with a rotating list of meh 2nd line centres.
How dare you characterize Michal Handzus as "meh".

He was an elite, rock god.

The Flames would be well served to move Backlund for futures, and sign Handzus to a team friendly 3 year deal to give us a real shot at winning the cup.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #1693
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Calgary, for all purposes, may be the best fit for both player and team. Flames are likely looking for a productive RW, a good mentor and reliable high-IQ player to play with Gaudreau and Monahan - and at a cheaper price. Jagr may be looking for top-six minutes with quality linemates and a chance to win. Calgary may be one of the few teams that could use a veteran RW. The whole Patrick Sharp situation on July 1 may indicate this is true.

I think really it comes down to two things - does Calgary want to bring on a 45-year old, and does Jagr want to play in Canada.
Jagr does want to play in Canada (or so he said once), but I don't think he wants to play in the west. That is why I don't think Calgary would be much of a consideration. I also don't think that Treliving wants to go in that direction either.

With that being said, the overall fit isn't bad for both sides. If I am Jagr, I want to go to the place that I can do the following 3 things:

1) make as much as possible
2) chance to win
3) top-six - especially top-line minutes - to try and reach 2000 points (he needs 86).

As an unabashed fanboy of Jagr, I would love him here, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #1694
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Jagr does want to play in Canada (or so he said once), but I don't think he wants to play in the west. That is why I don't think Calgary would be much of a consideration. I also don't think that Treliving wants to go in that direction either.

With that being said, the overall fit isn't bad for both sides. If I am Jagr, I want to go to the place that I can do the following 3 things:

1) make as much as possible
2) chance to win
3) top-six - especially top-line minutes - to try and reach 2000 points (he needs 86).

As an unabashed fanboy of Jagr, I would love him here, but I am not holding my breath.
Yes, he did say that many years back. He wants to play for a Canadian market before it is all said and done. That said, if he plays for a Canadian team, I see him with the Habs (as I always have). Would love him in Calgary but as you pointed out I am unsure if he would want to play out West against teams like Chicago, Anaheim, SJ, LA etc.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #1695
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Would love him in Calgary but as you pointed out I am unsure if he would want to play out West against teams like Chicago, Anaheim, SJ, LA etc.
From my understanding, he was also not happy with the travel schedule of the Western Conference during his brief stint in Dallas. If that's the case, add on extra customs, and I don't think any western Canadian teams would be anywhere near his first choice.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #1696
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To add, Jagr could be a good fit playing with the Sedins? I believe they could complement each others game very well. But again, Vancouver is in the West. It will just come down to which team pays him the best to play top 6 minutes I suppose.The west may put too much abuse on his body for him to handle at this stage in his career.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #1697
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see him ending up in Montreal.

Think he has been on the record of saying he wants to play there, and they need a RW as a short term Radulov fill in.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #1698
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Jagr will go where ever the money is the most.

He still needs money.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #1699
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
To add, Jagr could be a good fit playing with the Sedins? I believe they could complement each others game very well. But again, Vancouver is in the West. It will just come down to which team pays him the best to play top 6 minutes I suppose.The west may put too much abuse on his body for him to handle at this stage in his career.
That'd be the slowest line in hockey.

As well the Sedin's cycle game that was their strength has deteriorated.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #1700
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have the second-worst travel schedule in the league this season: https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2017/...super-schedule

If that's an issue for Jagr, he won't be coming here (not that I expect Treliving to offer him a deal anyway).