Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #41
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Australia is generally nice but having lived in both places, on the whole, I much prefer Canada. I found the cold much easier to handle than the heat, although that may have been my lifetime of acclimatizing to it. But the two biggest issues I had with Australia were:

1) The cost of living is extremely high, especially in the major cities, and;

2) The people were generally pretty nice but there always seemed to be an undercurrent of anger, violence, racism and sexism.

That said, Melbourne was my favorite city in Oz and I'd happily go back to visit.
Housing prices are a killer in Sydney and Melbourne.

Like $1.3 million now for a "knock down and rebuild house" from what I'm told.

Its pretty lucky to be able to live in Canada.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #42
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as Calgarians love to complain about the roads here, traffic is a dream compared to just about any large city I've been to.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #43
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
We'll go up 3 ranks when we put in more bike lanes, more "art", and bring all the residential roads down to 20km/h because 30 is too fast, let alone 50.
And why won't Silly Hall stay off your lawn... And that durned Nenshi... Rabble... Rabble rabble... [shakes fist]
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
As much as Calgarians love to complain about the roads here, traffic is a dream compared to just about any large city I've been to.
I complained about Calgary traffic a lot when I was younger. Then I did a road trip to Vegas in my mid-20's and got to experience real American traffic for the first time, didn't complain nearly as much when I got home. Few years after that I did my first trip to Asia, and experienced what traffic was like in Bangkok and Manila. After that I'm pretty damn thankful for the comparably amazing traffic we have here
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #45
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So true! A traffic jam is what, 20-30 mins at most not counting blizzards?

Also i really like our Quadrant system. Not many other major cities use that around the world do they? That way we can marginalize all the people who live in NE easily... j/k! haha
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #46
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see Calgary at 5 and Sydney falling out of the top 10. Sydney is a beautiful city with so much going on however it is ridiculously expensive and you need to be cashed up to fully enjoy the lifestyle and even consider buying a property. At least Calgary is accessible on a modest income.

Australia and Canada always seem to be represented on these lists and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Australia has the advantage of amazing weather and a relaxed attitude which makes life very easy while Canada is much more progressive with lower racism, sexism and homophobia.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #47
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like rankings are based on "stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure". Nothing based on affordability obviously as Melbourne and Vancouver are among the top but have outrageous home prices.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #48
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calgary would be much nicer if you didn't have to wear a down coat 8 months of the year and there was some moisture in the air. The growing season is just way too short for it to be 'nice' here. Guaranteed that people who come and go say nice things about the mountains, the scenery and the general vibe in this city, but are thankful they don't live fulltime in this climate.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #49
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Australia and Canada always seem to be represented on these lists and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Australia has the advantage of amazing weather and a relaxed attitude which makes life very easy while Canada is much more progressive with lower racism, sexism and homophobia.
New Zealand has the best attributes of both countries IMHO.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #50
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Calgary would be much nicer if you didn't have to wear a down coat 8 months of the year and there was some moisture in the air. The growing season is just way too short for it to be 'nice' here. Guaranteed that people who come and go say nice things about the mountains, the scenery and the general vibe in this city, but are thankful they don't live fulltime in this climate.
Yeah, similar to Vancouver except it's overcast, with minimal sunlight and rain for 8 months. Personally though, I'd prefer Calgary with way more sunlight but admittedly much colder, over Vancouver's climate. If you're the type that likes or needs sunlight, not the ideal place to live despite very moderate and comfortable temperatures year-round.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #51
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awww, you lost your bucket of happy.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #52
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Interesting to see Calgary at 5 and Sydney falling out of the top 10. Sydney is a beautiful city with so much going on however it is ridiculously expensive and you need to be cashed up to fully enjoy the lifestyle and even consider buying a property. At least Calgary is accessible on a modest income.

You doing your part to change things on the homophobia front and postal vote FireGilbert?

Also Sydney weather is terrible #SEQLD
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #53
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Except any other large city has drivers that actually know how to drive and aren't arrogant Dodge Ram owners
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #54
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Except any other large city has drivers that actually know how to drive and aren't arrogant Dodge Ram owners
Haha don't be so sure about that!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #55
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Haha don't be so sure about that!
The Dodge Ram part is truth, truth, and nothing but the truth.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand this attitude. We have maybe 20 days where a heavy coat is required. If wearing a light jacket is the definition of Bad weather than San Francisco might have two months you don't need a coat.

I think the measure really should be days where you feel like you have to stay inside. By that measure Calgary might have 20 where as a San Francisco would have 0.

Say highs above 35 or below -15. (No cheating with wind chill or hummidex)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #57
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I agree on the moisture part. The majority of the time, Calgary is an ugly brown colour.

I don't agree on the weather part though. I have yet to live anywhere that is comfortable year round. I doubt there is any place where that exists, frankly. Sure it gets cold in Calgary some days.... But try to do 35 degrees or higher with high humidity for an entire summer with no relief in sight until late September. That is seriously painful. Actually, in my opinion, Calgary has fantastic weather. Other than the 10 to 20 days per year where the temperature dips below - 20 degrees, it's usually extremely comfortable if you dress appropriately.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #58
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't understand this attitude. We have maybe 20 days where a heavy coat is required. If wearing a light jacket is the definition of Bad weather than San Francisco might have two months you don't need a coat.

I think the measure really should be days where you feel like you have to stay inside. By that measure Calgary might have 20 where as a San Francisco would have 0.

Say highs above 35 or below -15. (No cheating with wind chill or hummidex)
For me it isn't about the winter. It is about the non-existent spring we have. Our springtime is just the worst.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #59
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
For me it isn't about the winter. It is about the non-existent spring we have. Our springtime is just the worst.
This!

Spring is pretty hilarious in Calgary.
Snow and average day time high below 5 degrees in March. More of the same in April. More of the same for the first two weeks of May, then boom! Everything thaws in one day, everything turns green in a week, daytime high above 20 degrees all the way until the end of September.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #60
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's really only two seasons in Calgary, winter and warm brown.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , canada , yyc