Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #41
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That's a trip, they couldn't predict Chinooks before?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #42
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not according to my Grade 2 Canada Social Studies textbook as remembered by me.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only negative of Chinooks seems to be with people that suffer migraines. Studies have been inconclusive if there's really a correlation between headaches and Chinooks but I know some people that claim crippling headaches during a Chinook.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #44
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some years we barely even have winter. '09-10 I rode my bike to school or work everyday and there were only a handful of mornings below -15 or afternoons below -5. Almost everyday had a high above 0.
Some winters are brutal though, like '13-14 where I was about ready to move. But even the worst winters have one or two thaws.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #45
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No it doesn't. The weather is terrible but that said it's not like Winnipeg or Edmonton are any better. It's kind of amazing how much nicer the weather is a few hours south like Lethbridge or Medicine Hat. The lone bright spots are that we typically get less snow than most major northern cities in Canada and the US and a fair bit of sun.

I really like Calgary. It really is a great city as it's clean, it's modern, it's safe, etc but I kind of get tired of the weather apologist as it's a damn cold city. I think you can still love the city and not like the weather as every city has their negatives and in Calgary it just happens to be the weather. Nothing to be ashamed of as no city is perfect.
I spent 5 years in Edmonton in between 18 years in Calgary and 5 years in California ... I disagree with everything you said here
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #46
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
^^^ Or, some people actually do LIKE the weather?

The snow opens up a whole subset of activities that some people can't have, and fly from all over the world to experience. If there are people who would pay thousands of dollars for a few days here, don't you think it's possible that some people actually like the winter?

My point is more that it's over blown. To say it sucks or is terrible, or a reason to avoid the city is not true IMO. It's not like this is some town in the middle of the tundra, or a city surrounded by desert.

If people can move here from Saudi Arabia, and have few complaints about the weather, then I think anyone can make it work with little trouble.
I happen to also simply prefer winter. Not so much the cold (I'm perfect anywhere between 15 and -15, and warmer or colder and I complain), but the more snow, the better. I simply enjoy it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #47
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im mixed on the city. The mountains, drumheller, waterton...all great. The quality of jobs...great. the weather...it gets a bit too cold in the dead of wjnter and apeing never comes fast enough.

I also cant shake the feeling that the culture was better pre 2005. The oil money attracted a lot of D's.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #48
justafan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I love Calgary because I feel like it was my 'growing up' time. I wasn't born here. I moved here as a teenager. My parents were orginally from Saskatchewan. Moved a bit, I was born Northern Ontario. I felt like I was home when I came here, still a teenager. I had my family here. My husband is from a 'pioneer' family. I just think I am home.
justafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Born in Lethbridge, raised in Calgary. Always took for granted how great Calgary was until I moved back to Lethbridge for school. That's when I realized how good it was there. Plan on living there my whole life. Family and friends are all there. I really have no reason to leave.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I spent 5 years in Edmonton in between 18 years in Calgary and 5 years in California ... I disagree with everything you said here
So you disagree Calgary is a great city? You disagree that it's clean, modern, safe, etc? You disagree that the weather is better in Lethbridge and Medicine Hat? Also what does California have to do with anything I said?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #51
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was born/raised just outside of Calgary and just love the city.

Having moved to Vancouver a year ago, I can't wait to move back. Both cities have lots of pros and cons (better than most cities, for sure) but Calgary is so much more livable and aligned to my lifestyle.

Literally counting the days until my return. 58 to go.....

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I was born/raised just outside of Calgary and just love the city.

Having moved to Vancouver a year ago, I can't wait to move back. Both cities have lots of pros and cons (better than most cities, for sure) but Calgary is so much more livable and aligned to my lifestyle.

Literally counting the days until my return. 58 to go.....
Vancouver is a weird one for me. I just don't get it. It's scenic and the weather is pleasant. It's probably also the only city in Canada where Starbucks outnumber Tim Hortons which could be a pro or con depending on your coffee tastes. There's just something about it though that leaves me cold and while sheer amount of hiptsters and pretentious people are a turnoff it's not that as there's just something about it. I've been to a lot of places where I think to myself "I could live here" but Vancouver simply isn't one of those places. I was there again for some holidays this summer and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I visit I just can't warm up to the place. As weird as it sounds I think I would rather live in Edmonton.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #53
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If we actually had a spring like the rest of North America then I think Calgary would be the perfect city. I don't mind winter, I enjoy snowboarding and hockey, but having to wait until May or even June to enjoy patio weather sucks
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #54
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've been to a lot of places where I think to myself "I could live here" but Vancouver simply isn't one of those places. I was there again for some holidays this summer and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I visit I just can't warm up to the place. As weird as it sounds I think I would rather live in Edmonton.
I felt the same about Vancouver too. I can't see myself living there even though I go there every now and there for vacations. Vancouver is very un-Canadian like to me. You can go out in a sweater and there no snow on the ground in January there so I have a hard time seeing Vancouver as a typical Canadian city.

Having said that, no, I wouldn't live in Edmonton instead of Vancouver.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #55
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone else notice that our winters don't suck as much lately as they did in the 90s?

I remember when I was growing up, winter would be on in full force by Halloween. I never used to go trick or treating without my winter parka, and that would ruin my costume most of the time. A ninja turtle with a giant parka on is just not a good look. Similarly, the outdoor rinks would be fully functional from October until the end of April.

Now, most of the time, I can go out with just a sweater or hoody on in late October and we're lucky if we get outdoor hockey for 6 weeks from January to mid February.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the cold at all. As an avid skier, I hope for as much snow as possible. The only things that really annoy me about the cold weather is that

a) I don't have garage, so scrapping windows before leaving for work sucks
b) Having to work in the core, so I have to fight alongside other drivers trying to get in. Totally my own choice, but I wish so bad my office was outside the core where I could park in front of the building.

If I had a garage and could drive directly to work outside the core, I wouldn't mind winter one single bit.

Super cold days also give me an excuse to work from home and I like that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you are selective-momorying. I remember using my skateboard a few years to trick or treat to save time. I also remember being buried in snow and having to call for a ride home.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #58
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was born and raised in a small central Canadian town called Toronto. Decided I didn't want to raise a family there, so next week will mark 12 years in Calgary. My only regret is not coming sooner. Love the climate, the mountains, the things to do, the Stampede, all of it. This is a great city.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #59
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Anyone else notice that our winters don't suck as much lately as they did in the 90s?
Cue the music:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb Lund
the weather's been funny thirty years or so
the winters got warm, not as much snow
hear the big cats comin cuz there's nowhere left to go

you gotta look out for bear when you're fishing on lee's creek
they'll come round the bend and theyl'l make your knees weak
there's grizzlies where there was no grizzly bears before
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If we actually had a spring like the rest of North America then I think Calgary would be the perfect city. I don't mind winter, I enjoy snowboarding and hockey, but having to wait until May or even June to enjoy patio weather sucks
We finally got a real spring this year for the first time in ages! I agree in that I would probably warm up to Calgary's weather more if we didn't have to wait until June for spring like weather as the lack of spring puts the burden on summer being the only warm weather months.

Tags
calgary , canada , great cities