Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #7361
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Ekblad or Laine please!
Or?

Sweet black Jesus no, that would be absolutely awful.

Gaudreau for Laine.
Hanifin for Nylander.

Just say no to Laine.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #7362
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I think that Hanifin and Gaudreau have more value sent in separate deals, but if one team is willing to part with a targeted player, then I think that you have to listen. New Jersey is one of the few teams with the assets and need for the two of them, so they are a good target. I wouldn't just go for picks as the centrepiece though. And as much as I like Ty Smith, with Gio/Valimaki/Mackie I'm not sure if a third NHL ready rookie is a good idea on the left side.

7th overall, 20th overall (it would be an easier sell if you leave them one!), Kyle Palmeiri (rumoured to be on the block), and one of Nolan Foote or Janne Kuokkanen (I would want one of their best prospects not named Hughes). I think that it's important to the team to indicate that you are not throwing the season away, and bringing in a premiere right wing, even if it ends up a rental, will accomplish that.

Still might not be enough. Gaudreau alone might get everyone minus Palmeiri, and I wouldn't trade Hanifin for Palmeiri straight up. Maybe make it both prospects?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #7363
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Bob Mckenzie's final rankings say,

7th C Marco Rossi
18th C Seth Jarvis
19th LW Rodion Amirov
20th LW Lukas Reichel
I would be stunned to see Jarvis fall that far and see Reichel go that high. I think Jarvis goes top-10 or just outside and Reichel goes around 30th.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #7364
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would be stunned to see Jarvis fall that far and see Reichel go that high. I think Jarvis goes top-10 or just outside and Reichel goes around 30th.
Bobs list is the grail list. But, usually after 15 it goes askew.

I love the #19 spot! ID BE OVER THE MOON IF THE flames took Amirov.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #7365
TheSkinner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I couldn’t sleep so I figured I’d try to put theSkinners stamp on the flames (without even getting Jeff Skinner)...

Colorado could probably use a reliable 3C and they have cap space. Ryan to Colorado for a 4th/3rd

St. Louis would be silly not to re-sign Pietrangelo. They currently have Faulk and Parayko signed as RHD and Dunn is an RFA. Nobody wants that Faulk contract so maybe they need some incentive to move Parayko to sign AP? Gaudreau, 2nd to St. Louis for Schwartz, Parayko, 1st(or Klim Kostim). They have a big strong team that could protect Gaudreau and he might thrive there. I like Schwartz and Parayko and although we lose the best player in the deal I think it makes the Flames better. Schwartz is a from SK and Parayko is from AB so maybe there is a better chance of re-signing both of them once their contracts are up

Seguin is having a rough playoff… but I’d rather have him than Taylor Hall. Dallas is an old team. If they don’t win this year they can’t realistically expect 37 yo Pavelski and 32 yo Benn to do this again next year? (Go Bolts!). Monahan, 1st to Dallas for Seguin, 3rd. This trade is probably one that Dallas doesn’t make, CalgaryPuck will S**t on and Seguin would veto with his NMC… But my whole premise needs a Number 1 centre coming to Calgary since I just traded our most dynamic forward. Don’t like giving up the first but Seguin is the better player… Caphit sucks. (Honestly if I thought Florida would trade Barkov for Monahan and a first I’d do that but I’m sure that Florida would never do that).

The flames need more RHS and hitters that can skate with Bennett (sorry Lucic) 2nd to Columbus for Josh Anderson

We’ve lost that last 2 years in the playoffs with great goaltending from unlikely sources… I wouldn’t trade any assets for a goalie given what’s available. I’d sign Holtby 3M x 2 yrs or something like that. He’s only 30. Has been great in the past and will be motivated.

I also see teams in the playoffs (Tampa) that have Luke Schenn, Jan Rutta, Zach Bogosian on defence and I think the flames (Treliving) spends way too much effort on bottom pairing defencemen. Let the kids just play. Same goes for 4th lines.

Ryan to Colorado for a 4th/3rd
Gaudreau, 2nd to St. Louis for Schwartz, Parayko, 1st(or Klim Kostim)
Monahan, 1st to Dallas for Seguin, 3rd
2nd to Columbus for Josh Anderson
sign Holtby 3M x 2 yrs

So that leaves us with a lineup as follows:

Schwartz(5.35) Seguin(9.85) Mangiapane (2.25)
Tkachuk(7) Backlund(5.35) Lindholm(4.85)
Dube(.78) Bennett (2.55) Anderson(2.5)
Lucic(5.25) Gawdin(.9) Reider(.9)
Froese(.8)

Giordano(6.75) Parayko(5.5)
Hanafin (4.95) Andersson(4.55)
Valimaki(.9) Kylington(1.25)
Mackey(.925)

Holtby (3.5)
Rittich(2.75)

79.675M

Looks like at least a second round exit to me
Old 09-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #7366
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Monahan trade. WOOF. I can deal with almost all of those ideas but man alive. Why Seguin? That cap hit, yikes.

Also, Mangiapane is not a top line RW as much as people want him to be. One year of decent play isn't enough in my estimation.

I have absolutely zero desire to see the Flames just toss more picks away like candy in another failed attempt to buy a cup.
My Fandom rides on the Flames making draft picks this year. Seriously.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #7367
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The most appealing return for me is a high pick/s in this draft, given the crop of centers available.

I think prying a top 5 pick from someone for one of our current core guys is our best shot at picking up a good 1C for the next decade and retooling the most effectively with one big move.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 01:09 AM   #7368
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That Monahan trade. WOOF. I can deal with almost all of those ideas but man alive. Why Seguin? That cap hit, yikes.

Also, Mangiapane is not a top line RW as much as people want him to be. One year of decent play isn't enough in my estimation.

I have absolutely zero desire to see the Flames just toss more picks away like candy in another failed attempt to buy a cup.
I could see trading for Seguin but they are definitely adding not us to that trade.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:39 AM   #7369
TheSkinner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I could see trading for Seguin but they are definitely adding not us to that trade.
They probably don’t have a huge incentive to trade him in that scenario then. Don’t have a cap issue until maybe next year. Which likely means its a bad trade on the flames behalf but I already kinda knew that.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:44 AM   #7370
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Yes, this year of all years, the Flames must make all their picks.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #7371
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty big fan of signing Markstrom if he gets to UFA.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #7372
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still surprised that more people aren't against signing Markstrom:
-Wrong side of 30
-A poor career 91.1%
-Has only once been higher than 91.5% (other than 7 games in 2011)
-Has been injured lately
-Is likely to be overpaid. Cap space is like gold.
-Will likely get too much term, especially for his age
-Talbot put up better numbers than Markstrom this year. Plus his career stats are much better. Plus he's a lot cheaper.
-The 2021 free agency has several good goalies
-Sounds like there is a bidding war
-The Flames aren't contenders anyways and shouldn't be giving big contracts to older players
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #7373
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The most appealing return for me is a high pick/s in this draft, given the crop of centers available.

I think prying a top 5 pick from someone for one of our current core guys is our best shot at picking up a good 1C for the next decade and retooling the most effectively with one big move.

Can't see any team trading a top 5 pick. With uncertainty of cap for the next few years , not to mention internal budget, ELC's are going to be worth their weight in gold to many teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #7374
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t see any team trading a top 8 pick.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #7375
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seguin sounds nice if he could bounce back and be an elite top line guy but his team is in the Stanley Cup finals right now and he's a ghost. I'm not very confident in a bounce back for him. Add the contract and ya I think you stay away.

I honestly like the idea of trading Monahan and Gaudreau for deals centered around top picks. Yes there is risk but if you hit you could find two stars to build around for a decade. Its a gamble but personally I'd rather gamble than play conservative and see us get two lesser players and some throw in pieces and just watch this team fizzle out until its time for another rebuild. Who knows if trades like that are even on the table but if this draft is deep there should be some strong players available in the late 1/3, early 2/3 of the first round. Getting a top prospect like a Cozens would be nice but I feel teams are more likely to hold onto those guys over picks.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #7376
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
-Wrong side of 30
-A poor career 91.1%
-Has been injured lately
-Talbot put up better numbers than Markstrom this year. Plus his career stats are much better. Plus he's a lot cheaper.
-The Flames aren't contenders anyways and shouldn't be giving big contracts to older players
Valid points, but:
- Can’t wait until 2021. Ownership has to be impatient and wants results now Need to make noise
- he’s been injured due to workload. He will be ok with less starts
- cap space matters, but so fo assets. We can’t keep trading picks
- he’s a better goalie than Talbot. Stole games for Canucks. More so than our goalies

Last edited by The Original FFIV; 09-22-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #7377
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Valid points, but:
- Can’t wait until 2021. Ownership has to be impatient and waves results now Need to make noise
- he’s been injured due to workload. He will be ok with less starts
- cap space matters, but so fo assets. We can’t keep trading picks
- he’s a better goalie than Talbot. Stole games for Canucks. More so than our goalies
WRT 2021 UFAs, in addition, that list will be a lot shorter by the time 2021 rolls around. Plus, just because a player is UFA doesn’t mean they come here. Someone can outbid or may be they just don’t want to.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #7378
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Valid points, but:
- Can’t wait until 2021. Ownership has to be impatient and wants results now
This one rings true but has never made sense to me. N. Murray Edwards other investments in our province have like 40+ year return horizons, or infinite (here's looking at you Sturgeon Upgrader/Refinery) yet he seemingly has no patience when it comes to the flames.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #7379
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody knows what the owners think, except the owners. Pointless speculation.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #7380
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
-Wrong side of 30
-A poor career 91.1%
-Has been injured lately
I feel like I have to say this every damn day

30 for a goaltender is not old.
Closed Thread