Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Facebook privacy concerns

Has anyone else had some problems with Facebook's privacy changes last week? Here's some background:

Facebook's Great Betrayal

It's a bit disturbing that there were some aspects of privacy that are no longer there, as now "friends of friends" can request to add you. Some other things are gone, like the ability to hide your friend list:

The Facebook Privacy Settings You've Lost Forever

What are people's thoughts on this? Oh, and if you haven't done so already, it's best to go back into your privacy settings and manually change them, as Facebook has you wider open than you were before.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Facebook is getting ridiculous really, really fast. I'm sure this "update" will cause them to lose more users than they'll gain.
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This recent update was pretty much a ploy by them to force everyone who doesn't really read their screen to open up their privacy settings.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even remember the last time I updated anything on my facebook. Last time I was on I went through my "friends" list and deleted something like 300 people who I rarely talk to or went to high school with and just don't really care. I actually have no use for it and have been close to deleting it a few times but there are a few family members down in the states and around the world I like to stay in contact with, see pictures, etc.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibtin Tex View Post
Facebook is getting ridiculous really, really fast. I'm sure this "update" will cause them to lose more users than they'll gain.
I'm pretty sure that this update will have absolutely no impact on the amount of users on the website. People will whine, create a few user groups, but no legitimate alternative exists right now, so nothing will happen. Facebook will probably put back in a lost issue/add sometime to adress a concern to give user's a feeling like they're being listened to, then everyone will be happy again.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Has anyone else had some problems with Facebook's privacy changes last week? Here's some background:

Facebook's Great Betrayal

It's a bit disturbing that there were some aspects of privacy that are no longer there, as now "friends of friends" can request to add you. Some other things are gone, like the ability to hide your friend list:

The Facebook Privacy Settings You've Lost Forever

What are people's thoughts on this? Oh, and if you haven't done so already, it's best to go back into your privacy settings and manually change them, as Facebook has you wider open than you were before.
I'm confused about who can request to add you. It is either "friends of friends" or "everybody". Why bother being on the site if nobody can request to add you? So you have to deny or ignore a couple of requests, I say big deal.

I can't figure out how they've done it, but I have a couple of people who are able to block their friends list from being seen, and that is since the change.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To hide your friends list: click profile, click the pencil icon on the Friends section and uncheck the Show Friend List to Everyone item. I believe that applications still have access to the list but at least it won't show up for other users.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm confused about who can request to add you. It is either "friends of friends" or "everybody". Why bother being on the site if nobody can request to add you? So you have to deny or ignore a couple of requests, I say big deal.

I can't figure out how they've done it, but I have a couple of people who are able to block their friends list from being seen, and that is since the change.
on your profile page, you can click the pen to edit that box to show how many friends can be seen. This is a setting that affects friends/non friends so if you set it to 0 then no friends will be seen by anyone.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cleavage?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking about deleting my facebook account... but then how would I keep in touch with my "friends" from elementary that I haven't seen since then?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I hate it with a passion. I keep just to keep my presence...

Tags
cleavage , facebook , zuckerberg sucks