Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I don’t see 4.5 yet. He was a third pairing defenseman for the most part, and I like the potential of Valimaki.

I could see shorter term, say 2-3 yrs, and maybe 2.5 or 3
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #22
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

5.3 x 7 would be today’s Klefbom deal.

I think he gets 4m x 3.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #23
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post

I think he gets 4m x 3.
Overpayment
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #24
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Colour me surprised if he breaks 35+ points. Great toolbox except his skating is below average. Its tough watching him skate - its very wideman-ish
True, his skating surely doesn't look "effortless".
But he seems to be in the right position more often than not to make the necessary play. You rarely see him be the goat. The skating isn't as detrimental a factor as it appears and hopefully something he can improve.

His hockey sense is top-notch and it's kind of sad that his shot can't be rivaled by any of Flames' right-handers, forwards included.

For me Rasmus has a higher ceiling than Hanifin and Kylington. Yes, I know 'but the skating!'. Well, yes and no, see first paragraph.

I don't think we see him re-sign early, he's an RFA with NO arbitration rights.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #25
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a very interesting question.

At this stage, flames have a pretty defined window till Gaudreau contract comes to an end. I'd keep contracts short, if that keeps the aav down during this time allowing them the cap space to use to upgrade the roster as much as possible.

I think the leafs were smart(ish) on this with the Matthews deal, except that they didn't really get any kind of discount for not buying hus ufa years
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #26
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like a long term deal with Andersson. Let him play for his money.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post

I think he gets 4m x 3.
If he is signing a 3 year bridge there is no point in doing it this summer. No way he has earned $4M yet.

Remember Klefbom was signed by Chia and Andersson by Treliving so you can shave 500k-$1.5M off the cap hit.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #28
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

double post.

Last edited by transplant99; 05-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

He is a guy that has some real snarl in his game which as we all know this club lacks badly.

Im not sure he is a top pairing dman by himself, but he has certainly looked good enough to play there with Gio.

I think you let him play out his ELC and evaluate from there. If there is more there offensively then going forward you know what you have/expect. I don't know if management has that fully figured out yet.

If you do go long term it has to be at a very friendly price.

More than 4 is not that IMO.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #30
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rasmus has a good season, 40+ points and he's looking at a contract close to four million on a deal much less than eight years. Time to reset expectations there. Is he a top defender? No of course not at this point, he just finished his rookie season at the age of 21 but he's a good bet IMO.

Even if you pay him close to 5 million for eight years that's going to be second pair money in the not too distant future.

This is a guy you lock up IMO.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If you're not gonna lock in Andersson now you're gonna do it for years when he's in his thirties and do we really want that?

Lock him in for the long haul. These are the most important years of his career and the ones where he'll be providing the most value.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #32
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roman Josi this guy STAT
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy has impeccable positional awareness so his lack of high end speed is not a concern. Kylington skates as good as any young defenseman I've seen, yet Rasmus has outpaced him as the clear favorite of the two because of all his other skills.

If Andersson's agent is willing to do a longer deal, the Flames should do it. At the very least it becomes a tradeable contract later (like Brodie's)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is a guy that has some real snarl in his game which as we all know this club lacks badly.

Im not sure he is a top pairing dman by himself, but he has certainly looked good enough to play there with Gio.

I think you let him play out his ELC and evaluate from there. If there is more there offensively then going forward you know what you have/expect. I don't know if management has that fully figured out yet.

If you do go long term it has to be at a very friendly price.

More than 4 is not that IMO.
It's a gamble for sure, but with the way that salaries are going, $4M isn't all that rich.

95 defenseman made $4M or more last year, so that's three per team. If you can get him into a 7 year deal for $4M and change AND you believe he's a top four defenseman you probably win in the end.

If he's not ... you lose bigtime.

But I would imagine we will see the whole top four of the league (125 defenseman) making $4M plus by the end of this summer.

That's not elite elite money any more.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's a gamble for sure, but with the way that salaries are going, $4M isn't all that rich.

95 defenseman made $4M or more last year, so that's three per team. If you can get him into a 7 year deal for $4M and change AND you believe he's a top four defenseman you probably win in the end.

If he's not ... you lose bigtime.

But I would imagine we will see the whole top four of the league (125 defenseman) making $4M plus by the end of this summer.

That's not elite elite money any more.
Yeah that breakdown makes some sense.

I guess it comes down to how much of the cap, % wise, you dedicate to F's, D's, and G's. 50, 40, 10? (give or take a point or 2 here and there)

So im assuming that deciding to go with an extension on Andersson comes along with getting Hamonic extended as well. Right now they will have only Gio and Hanifin locked in as vets with Valimaki on his last year of his ELC. Kylington also needs a new deal this summer, but im not sure that will be difficult $$ wise or if he will even be here come camp.

And those ^^ numbers may be influenced by what they decide to do with the G situation, though I cant see them acquiring anyone that would really push them out of the comfort zone elsewhere salary wise.

So in essence and as you pointed out, it really comes down to what they see him doing moving forward. Personally I feel like there is more there particularly on offense, but his skating may limit it all to what we have seen.

4M, again "feels" excessive for what we have seen from him, but it may very well be the new normal for guys who can play a 3/4 slot.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

These contracts are always interesting.

If you call it right and lock down an upper roster player you win big time ... I think the Flames have done that with Hanifin and Lindholm; I think the jury is out on Hanifin for upper roster player, but given his skating they probably don't lose on that contract. Lindholm's big season pretty much means they got that right.

Tkachuk they likely waited too long and will pay for it.

Yet the other side of the coin in extending the player long term and and then he stagnates.

Get a few of these decisions right in succession and you set up a huge window (they're already fortunate on the Gaudreau/Monahan and I guess Giordano contract signing timing).

I think it's somewhat likely that Rasmus Andersson is a top four defenseman or better. Add in his jam and I think it's a good gamble.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm good with $4M if it's for 6 years at least. I think that's hardly any gamble at all.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #38
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Andersson isn't a player you give a long term deal.

Valimaki is though.

We're all very impressed by Rasmus Andersson but if you start giving 4+ year deals to everyone on your roster you lose out on needed flexibility.

He's had 1 season.

IMO guys with borderline footspeed issues don't get term and if that means paying market rate every 2-3 years, so be it, because if/when the wheels fall off, it can be a disaster. It's important to remember that Rasmus is a diamond in the rough because there were serious questions about his dedication to being a pro and doing what was necessary in terms of fitness to get where he needed to be. Is he over those concerns or do they get magnified if he has 6 years of guaranteed money to look forward to.

Are you getting the best Rasmus Andersson when he's on year 2 of a 7 year deal? Tough to answer for a golden retriever sitting at a computer.

Valimaki and Hanifin are your guys with term imo, Andersson is your guy making market rate that you can move if need be for help elsewhere in the lineup and you pray to god Kylington turns into something.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
These contracts are always interesting.

If you call it right and lock down an upper roster player you win big time ... I think the Flames have done that with Hanifin and Lindholm; I think the jury is out on Hanifin for upper roster player, but given his skating they probably don't lose on that contract. Lindholm's big season pretty much means they got that right.

Tkachuk they likely waited too long and will pay for it.

Yet the other side of the coin in extending the player long term and and then he stagnates.

Get a few of these decisions right in succession and you set up a huge window (they're already fortunate on the Gaudreau/Monahan and I guess Giordano contract signing timing).

I think it's somewhat likely that Rasmus Andersson is a top four defenseman or better. Add in his jam and I think it's a good gamble.
It’s not just about guessing right though. Yes that is certainly a factor but it’s also a question of balancing the right amount of cap dollars in any given year.

Say Andersson is signed for $4+ million and turns into a top 4 defenseman in a few years time and you have good value on your hands. You are still paying him over market in the first year or two of that deal and with the Flames cap structure, I don’t see how they absorb that.

You might need guys like Andersson and Bennett playing on cheap short term deals just to get through next two years. This team still wants (and needs) to add talent IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait for Valimaki.

Flames signed until 2021-22

Gaudreau
Monahan
Neal
Backlund
Lindholm
Gio
Hanifin

Out of the 7 long term contracts the players with a physical edge are Hanifin and Neal and Lindholm They had 1.1 1.0 and .7 hits / game in the regular season. These were the guys that stepped up their physical involvement in the playoffs.

Anderssen is another player that requires someone else to do the physical dirty work.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote