Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #241
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
The downside is as a driver on the road I expect a person on a bike to follow the same rules as I do. Or don't be on the road!
Well that's good news.

If you see a bicycle at a stop sign while in your car, they will be stopping if you have the right-of-way, because they still need to yield to whoever has right of way.

The only time this really matters is when there aren't cars around.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #242
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a driver, you wouldn't have to learn new rules for bikes. From the cars' perspective, nothing changes.

If you have the right-of-way, you still have the right-of-way. If the bike has the right-of-way, they can proceed through the intersection without coming to a complete stop, which actually works better for everyone -- drivers and bikers.

Here's a good video I found that explains it pretty well...

As it says, most bikers do this now anyway. Changing the law would just make something that is already done regularly (and safely) fully legal.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #243
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default Ongoing YYCCC (Chu + Farkas) Transgressions Threat

I see Regina is ripping out their bike lanes. I’m waiting for that to happen in Calgary. Because cars are always more important.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/04...-hit-by-a-car/
Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #244
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recommend contacting Farkas via the YYCCC page and telling him to grow up.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #245
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

didn't find a thread about general Calgary news, so thought I'd throw this here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.5189232

For three years now, the City of Calgary and Alberta Health Services have issued warnings to those who want to dip, plunge or splash in the Elbow River, but the source of the fecal contamination remains a mystery.

Nicholas Ashbolt, a professor at the University of Alberta's school of public health says the issue is common in cities, particularly as infrastructure ages, but he is confident in the capabilities of the City of Calgary, which he says is world-class when it comes to water.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #246
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love that the title of this thread is still "Ongoing YYCCC (Chu + Farkas) Transgressions Threat".
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #247
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I love that the title of this thread is still "Ongoing YYCCC (Chu + Farkas) Transgressions Threat".
Is "ongoing" really necessary? Let's talk about that.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #248
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

According to a survey from Think HQ, Mayor Nenshi’s approval rating continues to drop.

The poll found that 39 per cent of respondents approve of Nenshi, with 55 in disapproval.

When it comes to City Council as a whole, the numbers aren’t better. Fewer than one-third or about 32 per cent of those interviewed approve of Council which shows a 16 per cent drop in approval for Council since June 2018.

“Calgarians clearly are not happy with how City Hall is operating today, but most of their ire seems directed at Mayor Nenshi,” said Mark Henry with Think HQ. “You would likely need to go back almost forty years to find a sitting Calgary mayor with approval this low, and the year-over-year drop in his approval is staggering.”

Old 07-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #249
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Woolley proposes pausing the Green Line.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146815483544559616

I think that's a serious misstep
Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #250
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've suspected for awhile that Woolley was in the pocket of business interests based on his voting patterns; this just confirms it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As expected there is very reasonable discourse in the twitter responses.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #252
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The "measure twice, cut once" phrase is nice and all, but haven't they measured about 6 times over at this point?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #253
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The "measure twice, cut once" phrase is nice and all, but haven't they measured about 6 times over at this point?
Yes but if they keep measuring, eventually Nenshi's approval numbers will be low enough that some corporate toady like Bill Smith can get in and just nix it outright, or convert it into some at-grade low-cost monstrosity like our current line.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #254
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I've suspected for awhile that Woolley was in the pocket of business interests based on his voting patterns; this just confirms it.
Woolley is supported by Peter Oliver, head of Beltline Neighborhoods Association. The Green Line has gone massively over-budget, resulting in virtually the entire NC segment (the one with immediate higher ridership and capacity need) cut, and now further cost reductions are needed in the important downtown core.

I don't have any problems with pause to examine whether this orientation to the SE is the best use of the money available, or whether there are options that are better now that we know just how expensive the Green Line will be.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They kinda rushed through the "ok, this is how we are gonna do it" phase and had very little idea how much the full tunnel would cost. I'd argue they still don't know. I don't think it is a terrible idea to re-examine the 16th ave to Inglewood section though, or at least 16th ave to downtown. If they can save $1 billion it's totally worth it. It's like the ordered the Cadillac without seeing the sticker price, and are now thinking maybe a Malibu could do 98% of what we need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #256
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Woolley is supported by Peter Oliver, head of Beltline Neighborhoods Association. The Green Line has gone massively over-budget, resulting in virtually the entire NC segment (the one with immediate higher ridership and capacity need) cut, and now further cost reductions are needed in the important downtown core.

I don't have any problems with pause to examine whether this orientation to the SE is the best use of the money available, or whether there are options that are better now that we know just how expensive the Green Line will be.
Best to send it back for a 4th consultation and review (which as we all know, are free as well) and allow those who would be served by the line to continue to languish.

Oh and we can all just keep enjoying a steadily increasing choke of traffic.

I don't know about you, but it's getting pretty annoying that my commute increases by about 2-3 minutes a year for the last 6 years.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #257
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Best to send it back for a 4th consultation and review (which as we all know, are free as well) and allow those who would be served by the line to continue to languish.

I don't know about you, but it's getting pretty annoying that my commute increases by about 2-3 minutes a year for the last 6 years.
Well, that's the problem. Stage 1 won't help all that many people, even more so if the downtown core is delayed and the SE line ends at 4 St SE.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #258
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Is not a terrible idea to look again at the 16th Ave N to eau claire portion of the line, if significant savings can be had by bridging over the river, instead of tunnelling under, it might be worth the downsides caused by that option. From Eau Claire to 4th Street SE cannot be changed reasonably, I don’t think.

This is already (by far) the most studied project in Calgary history, pausing to study more makes no sense. If the city has more accurate numbers for the costing options, plug them back into the original matrix, and see if the outcome changes. This isn’t something that should cause a pause, it should take admin a month or two or work, at most.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #259
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back to some original plans here:

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...ions_final.pdf

I think option E is a pretty good one. I might suggest elevating it from the bluff to 20th ave instead of underground. Something like the Vancouver skytrian here:

https://goo.gl/maps/u6QBvMqjeXu6vVLs7

where it isn't all that intrusive, and if I had to guess, might even bee cheaper than integrating it at grade on Centre and tunnelling under 16th ave which I suspect has loads of utilities.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #260
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Might as well do it wrong then eh?

Don't like your commute? Move.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat