Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #1781
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's hockey baby!!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #1782
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Someone posted an AC style highlight video of 2017/18 Lindholm.

A few things about Lindholm:

1) Great in front of the net. Tipping pucks and getting to lose pucks. Great hands in-tight, and elevates well from in-tight.
2) Seems to have a decent amount of compete in him. Of course in a highlight package, we can't tell how often that compete level is there, but in this package he does seem to compete well.
3) Very good passing ability. That hard pass up to Williams shows a tonne of vision and ability.

4) Goes to the dirty areas. From this package, you can't tell how much he initiates contact, but he goes to the net well and seems unafraid to do so. His net-front presence seems to be noticed often by the announcers, so it is probably something he does regularly.
5) Lindholm's shot is vastly underrated. I wouldn't call it a muffin at all - though once again, this is his highlight package and maybe he is known to deliver muffins right into the breadbasket too often. His wrister seems hard and accurate. He gets it off quick, especially quick in corralling the puck and getting a good shot off.

Things about the Canes in general - regarding systems and how the team seems to work under Peters:
1) Defencemen seem way more involved in the plays.
2) Transition is LIGHT YEARS better than the Flames under Gulutzan.
3) Canes attack the net way more it seems than the Flames did.
4) Quicker passing than the Flames. From different lines. Lots of tic-tac-toe passing.

5) Look at the opposing goalies having to stretch-out to make saves!

Thanks for this find. I didn't notice Hanifin much in these plays, but it sure does shed some light on both Lindholm and how Peters gets his teams to play. Flames are much more talented than the Canes, so it will be interesting to see what Peters does, as well as having Ward tinker with the systems.

After watching this video, I can see how Lindholm could help Gaudreau and Monahan.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #1783
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I didn't notice Hanifin much in these plays
Yeah, I was looking for Hanifin in those highlights but didn't spot him often. Two guys that I saw a lot? Aho and Derek Ryan. They must have been together on a line for a while last season? Anyway, I thought Derek Ryan looked good, too. Hopefully Treliving has his sights set on him.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #1784
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Yeah, I was looking for Hanifin in those highlights but didn't spot him often. Two guys that I saw a lot? Aho and Derek Ryan. They must have been together on a line for a while last season? Anyway, I thought Derek Ryan looked good, too. Hopefully Treliving has his sights set on him.

Lindholm spent some time on a line with Aho and Teravainen, but I think he played primarily with Derek Ryan and Brock McGinn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #1785
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Lindholm spent some time on a line with Aho and Teravainen, but I think he played primarily with Derek Ryan and Brock McGinn.
Lindholm's most common linemates were Aho and Staal.
Followed by Giuseppe and Skinner.
Followed by Aho and Teravainen.
Followed by Ryan and Skinner.
And then McGin and Rask.

Dobber hockey.

Looks like he played mostly ES minutes with top six players and played on the 1st PP unit.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #1786
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to comment on trade until we see what Hanafin and Lindolm sign for as they are RFAs. Was initially hoping we'd have some additional cap space.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #1787
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Tough to comment on trade until we see what Hanafin and Lindolm sign for as they are RFAs. Was initially hoping we'd have some additional cap space.
The Flames back end will be cheaper next year as Hanifin will come in less than the $5.75M that Hamilton is getting. If they move Stone that will free up cap space.

Lindholm will cost more than 2x Ferland though which pushes the cap hit for our new players higher than the 2 roster players we moved out for next year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #1788
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The one thing I noticed in that video is how good Sebastian Aho is.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #1789
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have time to read the entire thread here is a quick summary....

CP initial reaction: Terrible trade. I am done. Who wants my season tickets at below market. Treliving should work at Boston Pizza with his daddy. I think I have a STD from that Moxie's waitress.

CP after drinking some kool-aid: Hamilton has no emotion and rode Gio. Moxies is great and museums are for nerds. Ferland is a 4th liner who got easy tap in goals that anyone could score playing on top line. Fox is stuck up Harvard kid. Hanafin will be better than Hamilton by end of July. Lindholm will score 22 goals on top line, 1 better than 4th line plug Ferland. Flames easily win this trade and should cup parade go on 6th Ave or 5th Ave before rounding onto 9th Ave?

Something like that....
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #1790
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
CP after drinking some kool-aid
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #1791
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Listening to the Duhatschek and Peters interviews on the Fan have me quite excited about what Lindholm and Hanifin can become. Duha is definitely not a hommer. He regularly is down on Calgary. So his enthusiasm for this trade is notable. Also hearing the way Peters intends to deploy the players sounds like it might really mesh with the roster the Flames have.

I still think from a value perspective there is a lot of criticism for the trade, but that is behind us. If these new players can bring the versatility and pop that Peters envisions, it has a chance to be a slam dunk.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #1792
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Pinder is a smart guy and he is going to be a star in Canadian radio and maybe even further one day.

However, he is also way way to invested in both analytics and ignoring what he sees to form opinions, and then his pig-headedness takes over when it is pointed out how wrong he is.

He really doesn't value defensive hockey whatsoever and that was proven in spades when he finally stopped his endless chirping of Engelland after seeing exactly how valuable he was this past season. He had been told repeatedly for a couple years that Engellands contributions werent going to be found in some made up chart, but he refused entirely to listen. He would get very very smarmy about it on top of that.

Once he gets over that kind of stubborness, he will be fine though.
He was at it again this morning. Talking about how the Flames took a half step back on the ice, trotting out a lot of the topics that have been mentioned here (Hamilton was our best defenceman, best pairing, Brodie is bad so he shouldn’t be paired with Gio, Lindholm is worse than Ferland because Ferland will be “motivated” this year, Fox is a top prospect, etc etc). All that said, and yet when Boomer pressed him and said “So you wouldn’t do the trade?” he complained about being walked to a point he wasn’t making, and that he didn’t have enough information about whether or not he’d make the trade.

He’s not only stubborn, but he can’t even stand behind what he says. Brutal take on this trade.

“This trade was terrible! But I’m not saying I wouldn’t make it.” .... sounds reasonable...
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #1793
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will admit I sent a somewhat critical text to 960 this morning pointing several of these points out as well. I dont mind him being opinionated, but I dislike how he forms opinions that he believes superior then all others. He also argues like a a hole.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #1794
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will admit to liking the Gio-Brodie pairing much more than the Gio-Hamilton pairing. Make no mistake, Giordano is the driving force of both if those pairings and I actually believe that playing with Hamilton has actually taken away from Giordano's game. It wasn't that long ago that he was being talked about as a Norris contender while paired with Brodie. I absolutely loved Brodie's game when he was with Giordano but he has not been the same the past two years. Let's see if he can bounce back.

In my mind one of Brodie or Hamilton were going to be traded this off season and it was going to be the one that had the better return. So in the sense of Hamilton being traded I am perfectly fine with it and I really like the return the Flames got. I do, however feel like it is a bit of an overpayment as I feel in a years time that Fox could possibly return a roster player or a high pick. That's my only real beef with the trade.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #1795
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Just wanted to point out that there a lot of similarities in Lindholm's game compared with Jiri Hudler.

Johnny, Mony and Hudler were one of the NHLs best lines, and played very well with each other.

Hudler was also the RW as Lindholm has been slotted in for.

ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #1796
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Someone posted an AC style highlight video of 2017/18 Lindholm.

Great video. IMO I think his video demonstrates that a lot of areas that Lindholm excels in are very similar to Matt Tkachuk. Now Lindholm isn't the pest or agitator that Tkachuk is and not quite as physical or strong. But both players excel at:
-puck protection/being hard on the puck
-plays in tight around the net. both passing and shooting
-screening the goalie
-tips

I think a player that excels at that is needed on Gaudrea-Monahan's RW so I think either Lindholm or Tkachuk would be a great fit. The nice thing about Lindholm is the right shooting factor and also that he's so great defensively. So I've come around to the idea that Lindholm is probably the best fit on that #1 line. I don't think he plays centre unless injuries hit. I think you continue to develop Jankowski at centre and that Lindholm as our only top 6 potential RW with a right shot has to be played at RW when we're healthy.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #1797
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Listening to the Duhatschek and Peters interviews on the Fan have me quite excited about what Lindholm and Hanifin can become. Duha is definitely not a hommer. He regularly is down on Calgary. So his enthusiasm for this trade is notable. Also hearing the way Peters intends to deploy the players sounds like it might really mesh with the roster the Flames have.

I still think from a value perspective there is a lot of criticism for the trade, but that is behind us. If these new players can bring the versatility and pop that Peters envisions, it has a chance to be a slam dunk.

Duha is definitely in a class of his own as a hockey writer. His opinions are always well thought out and interesting.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #1798
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post

Any Coles notes there? Thanks in advance on behalf of us that can listen tot he Fan.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #1799
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree completely with FDW.
I also think the Flames will not come away with a big FA prize, and that's probably good imo.
So Lindholm top line, a guy like Ryan for bottom 6, and pin hopes that a line of Tkachuk-Janko-Bennett can produce, hopefully boosted by Gio/Bodie pairing as often as possible.
Play whoever works best on Backlund's other wing.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #1800
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Great video. IMO I think his video demonstrates that a lot of areas that Lindholm excels in are very similar to Matt Tkachuk. Now Lindholm isn't the pest or agitator that Tkachuk is and not quite as physical or strong. But both players excel at:
-puck protection/being hard on the puck
-plays in tight around the net. both passing and shooting
-screening the goalie
-tips

I think a player that excels at that is needed on Gaudrea-Monahan's RW so I think either Lindholm or Tkachuk would be a great fit. The nice thing about Lindholm is the right shooting factor and also that he's so great defensively. So I've come around to the idea that Lindholm is probably the best fit on that #1 line. I don't think he plays centre unless injuries hit. I think you continue to develop Jankowski at centre and that Lindholm as our only top 6 potential RW with a right shot has to be played at RW when we're healthy.

Thanks for these comments, this kind of puts it into perspective for me. So now we may have the kind of skill on that line that made Gaudrea, Monahan tick! They have not been quite the same without Hudler. I think it is easy to forget how good Gaudrea, Monahan Hudler were at times; They were downright scary and amazing to watch. Would love to see some of that chemistry again!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote