Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #81
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #82
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tough break for Pionk. Being a millionaire athlete in your young 20s in a New York is a dream. Being a millionaire athlete in your young 20s in Winnipeg makes you a murder target.

I do feel a bit for Winnipeg. In terms of competitiveness, this is a high water mark, and they are still having trouble attracting players.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #83
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Rick Ralph @RickRalphTSN
Interesting #NHLJets chat on TSN 1050 with @DarrenDreger. Saying Chevy was "boxed in a little bit" and that "Trouba made it abundantly clear that there were specific teams that he would go to." The list? Not 10 or 5 teams "I think it was 1 or 2 to be fair."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given Trouba's history in Winnipeg, I'm not sure I buy his statement 100%. I'm sure his fiancee does have the opportunity in NYC as he says, but I wonder if that was just a happy coincidence for him. It's certainly a better thing to get to say than "I don't want to play in Canada".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Given Trouba's history in Winnipeg, I'm not sure I buy his statement 100%. I'm sure his fiancee does have the opportunity in NYC as he says, but I wonder if that was just a happy coincidence for him. It's certainly a better thing to get to say than "I don't want to play in Canada".
Funny thing is Steven Brunt was on 960 this morning discussing the turnaround for the Raptors after years of players not wanting to play in Canada. Believe it or not he said ESPN of all things was a big deal for players saying they really hate not being able to tune into ESPN at home. I doubt that carries as much weight in the NHL but it does show that even subtle differences between lifestyles can be a big deal to players when they have a choice where to play.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #86
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Funny thing is Steven Brunt was on 960 this morning discussing the turnaround for the Raptors after years of players not wanting to play in Canada. Believe it or not he said ESPN of all things was a big deal for players saying they really hate not being able to tune into ESPN at home. I doubt that carries as much weight in the NHL but it does show that even subtle differences between lifestyles can be a big deal to players when they have a choice where to play.
Hmm, is it that they can't tune in on ESPN, or that their games are never shown on ESPN (ie. raptors never get the big primetime game events on holiday's, etc, for the big national broadcast games).

So the player doesn't get national exposure in the US, not to mention not having their family & friends be able to watch and follow them and their season.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #87
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah some athlete probably mentioned how it sucks comparatively, but when he's signing his multi million dollar contract I don't think ESPN weighs in on his, or anyone's radar. When you can go out and subscribe to an app for just about any sport out there now to follow your favorite team/sport it just seems like a non-issue.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #88
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Rick Ralph @RickRalphTSN
Interesting #NHLJets chat on TSN 1050 with @DarrenDreger. Saying Chevy was "boxed in a little bit" and that "Trouba made it abundantly clear that there were specific teams that he would go to." The list? Not 10 or 5 teams "I think it was 1 or 2 to be fair."
Did he have an NTC? Thats a bit of a jerkface move on Trouba's part.

Coming out and saying you're doing this altruistically to help your spouse while absolutely screwing your employer is somewhat backhanded.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #89
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Did he have an NTC? Thats a bit of a jerkface move on Trouba's part.

Coming out and saying you're doing this altruistically to help your spouse while absolutely screwing your employer is somewhat backhanded.
The jets have known Trouba doesn't want to be there for years.

If they haven't addressed the issue until it has reached it's breaking point, that's their own fault.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #90
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I doubt Neal gets traded. If he does, its likely the end of any high profile UFAs signing with the Calgary Flames. If having a single bad season sees the team dump you, then who the hell would want to sign here when they have control over where they can play? Think about it. If your employer wooed you to uproot your life and family to come to a new city, promising you a long term commitment and big things, then transfers you somewhere else after a single year, would you recommend that company to anyone? Probably not.
I really doubt many players would fault the Flames.

It's not just a bad season. It was an absolute disaster of a season. Neal had trouble earning a spot in the lineup, while playing in a role where our team had our most obvious weakness, while being the third highest paid forward on the team at the start of a multiyear contract. UFA signings literally can't get much worse than that. You don't get paid to move and commit, you get paid to help the team win, and Neal just hasn't held up his end of the deal. Players get that the situation is unbearable for the Flames if this goes on.

As long as the Flames keep saying good things about him, like they have and will,
if the Flames trade him I bet most would think "oh good for Neal, he gets another chance".
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #91
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt Neal gets traded. If he does, its likely the end of any high profile UFAs signing with the Calgary Flames. If having a single bad season sees the team dump you, then who the hell would want to sign here when they have control over where they can play? Think about it. If your employer wooed you to uproot your life and family to come to a new city, promising you a long term commitment and big things, then transfers you somewhere else after a single year, would you recommend that company to anyone? Probably not.
UFA are going to run out of teams to sign with, as what you describe happens frequently.

Players like Neal will generally go where the money is greatest.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #92
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pionk 24 years old 26 point in 72 games 1.9 hits / game leading the Ranger in Ice time, #2 on the team in PK time.

stats wise compares well to a 24-year old (peak) Hamonic.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #93
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Pionk 24 years old 26 point in 72 games 1.9 hits / game leading the Ranger in Ice time, #2 on the team in PK time.

stats wise compares well to a 24-year old (peak) Hamonic.
Sigh ...

Yeah maybe those stats.

But he's ranked last in the NHL for preventing zone entries for all defenseman.

He's a relative -3.15 CF% compared to the Rangers roster, -4.19 SF%, -3.5% xGF%, -3.21 SCF%, and -4.47 HDCF%.

Very bad defensive player even when compared against his teammates.

We're talking about a guy that is basically 45% across the board and a tire fire.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #94
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Still think the return will be underwhelming, a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.
I think you'll be disappointed.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #95
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why does everyone wanna be traded to NYR lol
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #96
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
NYC is an awesome city. MSG is a sports shrine. And they are usually fairly competitive.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #97
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

NYR would be my second choice if I had that option. And it’s not even close.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #98
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
When you have an unlimited supply of money, you need a city with an unlimited supply of things to spend that money on, New York is that place.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #99
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
NYC is an awesome city. MSG is a sports shrine. And they are usually fairly competitive.
It's more than just the city. No one wants to be traded to the NYI. If you were living in a trendy place like Soho, you could get to Barclay's Center quicker than MSG. The franchise itself has a lot of appeal to hockey players.

They've only won one cup since the 1940s though. So it's hard to label them "competitive". The desirability of the team may work against them though. Having quality players constantly wanting to go there and fans always pouring in money may prevent a full scorched Earth rebuild.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #100
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sigh ...

Yeah maybe those stats.

But he's ranked last in the NHL for preventing zone entries for all defenseman.

He's a relative -3.15 CF% compared to the Rangers roster, -4.19 SF%, -3.5% xGF%, -3.21 SCF%, and -4.47 HDCF%.

Very bad defensive player even when compared against his teammates.

We're talking about a guy that is basically 45% across the board and a tire fire.
The only disclaimer I would have for these stats is that Pionk was asked to play way above his head for the Rangers, playing top 4 and against top competition in his first full NHL season. I'm not sure anyone would perform well in that scenario on that team.

He still got his head caved in when playing those minutes, and I don't think he's a top 4 replacement for Trouba, but it remains to be seen if he can actually be better as more of a #5 d-man with easier minutes and more experience.

Still a bad trade though when you trade a guy that you knew could play those tough top pairing minutes and be good at it, for 3 months of Hayes, and a guy that you hope is actually much better than his underlying numbers show.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: