Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #321
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I have this Spider Sense that the Flames pick higher than 26.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #322
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be happy if the Flames can land any one of this group of F at 26, pretty much in the order that McKenzie has them ranked here.

19. Lavoie
20. Suzuki
21. Kaliyev
22. Tomasino
24. Poulin
26. Brink

Last edited by RyZ; 06-19-2019 at 07:17 AM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #323
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I have this Spider Sense that the Flames pick higher than 26.
Unless they really want the goalie I don't see the point in this draft of trading up into the teens (seems like not a lot of consensus between 12-30) and trading into the top 10 is cost prohibitive.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #324
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
The thing that isn't mentioned when they say that Knight is the highest ranked goalie since 2010, is that that goalie is Jack Campbell. Campbell is just now getting to the NHL full-time 8 years later and with a different organization.

Campbell and Knight put up almost identical numbers in their draft years.

Knight may turn out, I just think it is way too risky to be taking a goalie in the 1st round let alone to move up to draft a goalie.

Fleury is the only goalie drafted in the 1st round to lead his team to a Cup in the last 10 years.
Other goalies drafted in the first round in that time are Andrei Vasilevsky and Carey Price. While I agree that it is risky drafting goalies in the first round, it is silly to just not do so because there have been picks in the past that have not worked out. If Knight is as good as he is being touted, then he should definitely be picked in the top half of Round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #325
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
i'm a little gun shy with drafting goalies in the first to be honest... Knight may very well be a great goalie but the Flames haven't had any success in developing a guy since Vernon (GS Guigure not withstanding as i think the Ducks did most of that)
Ordinarily I'd be fully against drafting a goalie in the first round... but if Knight is around at 26 and the Flames aren't trading the pick then I wouldn't object to the Flames taking him. No way would I trade up to select him (I'm hesitant enough taking a Goalie in the 1st round period... paying extra to do it is a non-starter).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #326
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pronmans comment on the Flames in his latest mock draft has me a little bit concerned. I'm not sure a defensive Dman is going to please many people if this is indeed the case.

26.Calgary: Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton-WHL
The name I’ve heard with Calgary the most is the big rearguard from the Oil Kings. There’s a part of me that wonders if it’s legit, given how many young defensemen are already in the Flames’ system, but at this point of the draft, there are never firm rumors. I’ve also heard Brayden Tracey mentioned here.
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #327
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Pronmans comment on the Flames in his latest mock draft has me a little bit concerned. I'm not sure a defensive Dman is going to please many people if this is indeed the case.

26.Calgary: Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton-WHL
The name I’ve heard with Calgary the most is the big rearguard from the Oil Kings. There’s a part of me that wonders if it’s legit, given how many young defensemen are already in the Flames’ system, but at this point of the draft, there are never firm rumors. I’ve also heard Brayden Tracey mentioned here.

Robertson sounds like a decent prospect.
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04...outing-report/

A 6-4 dman that skates well:
Robertson has great size at 6-foot-4 and pairs this with excellent mobility. He skates well in both directions and has the pivots to transition from offence to defence quickly and vice versa. Robertson has above-average speed and acceleration. The skating ability is paired with smart positioning and has become the foundation of his two-way game. He could work on his agility to keep up with particularly shifty forwards. Robertson is strong on his skates.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #328
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://youtu.be/rpwdfzGp3Ko?t=997

Craig Button at TSN has Calgary taking the just turned 20 year old Brett Leason
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #329
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess would be Ryan Johnson. Great skating 2 way defenseman. Bob Mackenzie's description sounds like Jay Bouwmeester.

The one I'd like to see, however is Egor Afanasyev.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #330
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Probably will be Leason as he can likely step right into the lineup this fall. And he fills a need on this team. A big one.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #331
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Until we find out that Leason is basically another Hunter Smith who only got his point totals at 20 years old because he was bigger and stronger than everybody else.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #332
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Until we find out that Leason is basically another Hunter Smith who only got his point totals at 20 years old because he was bigger and stronger than everybody else.
Maybe. Thats the risk of any draft. Heck even a 4OA, top ranked North American skater can disappoint. You just never know.

Last edited by Toonage; 06-19-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #333
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
Let's clear it up, Leason just turned 20, this was his 19 year old season. And where Hunter Smith had 49 points in 57 games, Leason had 89 points in 55.

Quote:
Leason’s path to the first round was a rare one. His 16-year-old season was spent entirely in midget. His 17-year-old season saw him eke out 18 points for the Tri-City Americans and him overlooked in the 2017 NHL Draft. His 18-year-old season saw him traded to the Raiders and up his production to 33 points. Based on that trajectory, modest expectations for his 19-year-old season were definitely warranted.

Up until this past campaign, Leason was looked upon by many WHL scouts as a promising player with a lot of good raw tools – a big frame, physical tools and pretty effective puck skills – who simply didn’t have the skating to really use those skills. During the 2018 off-season, he worked on his skating and that unleashed the rest of his game on the WHL. He nearly tripled his previous offensive output.
https://thehockeywriters.com/brett-l...spect-profile/
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #334
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith also primarily benefitted from his physical advantage. Don't see the risk with Leason, you'd probably get a Tanner Pearson type of prospect that is close to ready.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #335
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still though - have to be worried about a guy that was passed over in not one but two drafts.

This is effectively his draft+2 season, a season where you'd expect an NHL player to dominate.

And to be fair to Leason he did dominate - finishing 3rd in the WHL in U-20 scoring:

Glass: 1.82 PPG (2017 - 1st Round - 6th Overall)
Almeida: 1.73 PPG (2018 - 5th Round)
Leason: 1.62 PPG (Undrafted)

He also had a good World Junior and didn't look out of place with other top players his age...But the concern here has to be that this is a guy that teams didn't think enough of to take with any of there picks over the last two years and now a team is going to spend a first on him.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-19-2019 at 09:01 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #336
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Smith also primarily benefitted from his physical advantage. Don't see the risk with Leason, you'd probably get a Tanner Pearson type of prospect that is close to ready.
So a bottom 6 forward then.

The Pearson compareable does not make me want to draft Leason at all. Pearson is an ok hockey player, but he isn't a top 6 player.

I think Leason tops out as a 3rd line guy who can contribute in the top 6 when needed for short periods of time.

Leason and Robertson feel like safe picks, but they lack that high ceiling. I would rather take more of a risk and take a player with a higher ceiling.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #337
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Robertson sounds like a decent prospect.
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04...outing-report/

A 6-4 dman that skates well:
Robertson has great size at 6-foot-4 and pairs this with excellent mobility. He skates well in both directions and has the pivots to transition from offence to defence quickly and vice versa. Robertson has above-average speed and acceleration. The skating ability is paired with smart positioning and has become the foundation of his two-way game. He could work on his agility to keep up with particularly shifty forwards. Robertson is strong on his skates.
Im not saying he's a bad prospect, but I don't think he's the kind of prospect that will get a lot of fans blood pumping if we select him. Probably a bit of a buzz kill for excited fans if that's who the team calls up to the stage at #26.

Last edited by RyZ; 06-19-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #338
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robertson is great. Super, super poised, never out of position. Offensive touch is a bit understated, but he'd be a great complement for some of the guys they already have in their system.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #339
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pearson comparable is probably the closest NHL comparable that you will get.

Getting a 20 Goal, 40 Point guy out of a 26th overall pick is not the worst thing - especially since he is closer to helping this team in it's window.

For me personally I think it all depends who is left at that spot.

If somebody like Suzuki, Poulin, Brink, or Lavoie is still on the board then hopefully they would make that pick.

But if at 26 it's the defensive d-men (Matthew Robertson, Bjornfot) and Leason left on the board then I wouldn't really have an issue with them taking Leason at that spot.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #340
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but the commentary surrounding Leason suggests true progression in his game, as opposed to an older player dominating the dub.
The comparisons to guys like Smith and even Pearson are easy to make but rather pointless, as the primary thing they have in common is being passed over in the draft.
Think of it another way. If teams re-did the drafts 1 year or 2 years after the original draft, there would be a lot of shifts based on progression. This is no different. Progression in the draft +1 and 2 years is crucial. Leason has had incredible progression.

At this point I think the Flames will draft a forward, unless one of the dmen in the teens drops.

So I'm looking at

Forwards: Brink, McMichael, Leason
Dmen: Soderstrom, Seider, Harley, York, Heinola

I think one of those dmen could be there - the most likely being Heinola. But they could easily be gone by then. Bjornfot, Vlasic and a few others will also be there. But not sure they go there.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: