Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #1881
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mean to jump down your throat Fuzz, I took your comment as "blame unions". If that wasn't your intent and I went off on a tangent for no good reason then I apologize.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #1882
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just pointing out that police officers rarely face real consequences for actions like that because their unions tend to find ways to get them out of it. Which also fits the thread subject. Obviously the CAW(or fill in generic union here) isn't the issue.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #1883
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing the Go Fund Me thread for the Calgary teenager with cancer and then comparing to former Australian Rugby player Israel Folau's Go Fund Me makes me want to leave this planet forever.

Folau was fired from his $5M contract after refusing to remove homophobic Instagram posts and is asking for money to help with a legal appeal.

https://www.gofundme.com/israel-folau-legal-action-fund

If the premise of a millionaire athlete asking for money to defend spreading hate doesn't piss you off on it's own then this gem of a quote will:

Quote:
I have the fight of my life on my hands
Of course his Go Fund Me has raised over $400k in 2 days compared to that poor girl who might hit $150k soon. Words cannot describe how much I despise this man and those who are giving him money instead of putting it towards far more important causes.

Also, you've got to love "Christians" who focus one part of the bible but ignore everything in there about greed and helping the less fortunate.

Screw this planet.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #1884
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still want to live on this planet but holy crap Alabama is one f'ed up place...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lifestyle/...xggAQRk9b5pdEs

Quote:
An Alabama woman whose fetus died after she was shot in a fight has been charged with manslaughter, while the woman accused of shooting her has been freed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #1885
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the story alone, I am inclined to think this is a pretty messed up judgment, but I would like to know what justified the shooting as self-defense? Was this just a fist fight or was the person shot stabbing the shooter?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #1886
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a somewhat lighter side - the guy thought “Alpha House” was a restaurant when he bought his condo.

Quote:
Dhillon acknowledges that Alpha House was in the area before Vetro. But he said he didn’t realize what it was when he moved into his new building in 2008. Alpha House was undergoing a renovation at the time, and he said he thought it was a restaurant.
I don’t feel much sympathy when you are that ignorant of what you are getting into. Do people not look at Google maps when they are looking at places and check out the surrounding business?

Quote:
Board members at Vetro, a condo complex at 15 Ave. and 1 St. S.E., began circulating a petition this week to generate support for relocating Alpha House, which has been in its current location since 1982.
https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2019...-it-moved.html
Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #1887
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t feel much sympathy when you are that ignorant of what you are getting into. Do people not look at Google maps when they are looking at places and check out the surrounding business?
From what I can see, the board isn't managing to generate much sympathy for their cause, but they sure are generating a lot of amusement at their idiocy.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #1888
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dhillon said he isn’t advocating for shutting down Alpha House entirely, but he questions “whether rehabilitation is actually happening there or just enablement.”

“I’m actually thinking about this for the well-being of the people that go there because I don’t see them being rehabilitated,” he said.
Guys did you even read the article? He's not doing this for himself, all he cares about is the people

There was a post on Reddit about this, the poster was so obnoxious, judgmental and condescending that I thought it was a parody but maybe he really was just that big of a tool.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #1889
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
There was a post on Reddit about this, the poster was so obnoxious, judgmental and condescending that I thought it was a parody but maybe he really was just that big of a tool.
But, but...he's a "Primal Life Coach", he must know what he's talking about!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #1890
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
On a somewhat lighter side - the guy thought “Alpha House” was a restaurant when he bought his condo.

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2019...-it-moved.html
As someone who has lived in the area for about 5 years and lived in Vetro previously there is a reason this is popping up this year and it's entirely on the Alpha House.

For most of the last 10 years the condo residents and the Alpha House have reasonably co-existed. This spring has been a massive cluster#### on the neighboring streets.

In the article the Alpha House claims they often have people on the streets outside the building, this is a Trump level lie. This was true in years past but now exceedingly rarely do you see Alpha House staff outside unless summoned outside to deal with an issue.

They're frequently hitting capacity resulting in packs of inebriated people hanging out using the condo buildings nearby both as their person toilets and garbage dumps.

With the developments under way a couple blocks north and the proposed developments to the south and west this is going to be one of the densest residential areas of the city.

37 years ago the location of the Alpha House might have made sense but that doesn't necessarily mean it does now.

If the Alpha house wants to continue to exist in its current location it needs to step up it's game and do more to mitigate it's impact and be a better neighbour, if it can't do that, it needs to be moved to an area it will be less impactful. This spring it is not holding up it's end of the bargain.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #1891
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you heard the NIMBYs guys, best to move Alpha House
...uhh...to...uh...Forest Lawn I guess? Maybe the city should think about establishing a ghetto.

Next up, The Mustard Seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #1892
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well we've heard from psychnet. Nothing of content, just another useless, dbag post.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #1893
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The petition isn't triyng to fund raise to get more support for Alpha House or to get their local councillor to get more funding to get staff or security, they just want it moved. Their pitch sounds like, "we saw this guy one time go into Alpha House one day, and when he came out a couple of hours later he didn't look cured, so it's not working and you should move this facility".

It only looks like they want to give the appearance of caring about the users of Alpha House so that it doesn't look as they're just going NIMBY about it.

I feel kind of sorry, but really this is downtown living. There are noises, weird people, weird smells. IF you're this sensitive, you could have moved anywhere downtown. Make the best of it, film stuff, be like the CrackMacs guys and start a blog of the interesting stuff you see.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #1894
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I lived just down the street from the Alpha house in a condo years ago, and it wasn't a problem then.

But lets be honest, when I bought the condo, the real estate person made sure they gave me directions a certain way and that the viewing was in mid morning. He didn't disclose that the area was a major street prostitution hub.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #1895
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Well we've heard from psychnet. Nothing of content, just another useless, dbag post.
Thank you for this example of what a useful post looks like. I'll be sure to incorporate your notes into my performance review followup and subsequent work habits.

Just a note, do you guys like, talk about me when you go out for beers? That's pretty flattering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #1896
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I lived just down the street from the Alpha house in a condo years ago, and it wasn't a problem then.

But lets be honest, when I bought the condo, the real estate person made sure they gave me directions a certain way and that the viewing was in mid morning. He didn't disclose that the area was a major street prostitution hub.
Lol. I lived in the Carlyle on that street for years, what building where you in?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #1897
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can't remember the name but its the tall tan building where every appartment had a sun room, I think it was on the corner of Center and 15th.

I loved that condo, but the hooker stroll made things difficult, my girlfriend at the time went to get milk without thinking and was propositioned about 5 times one night.

In fact that stroll was featured on one of the major US talk shows because at one point Calgary was considered a major mecca for under aged prostitution. and they had video clips from that area.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #1898
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to live on 14th by the tennis courts near Central Memorial Park. There was a constant stream of cars picking up and dropping off girls across the street from us. I actually used to have a little blog about my daily routine of what I saw from the window, or any odd things that happened on the Ctrain up to Whitehorn.

I have to say, living in the burbs is pretty damn boring.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #1899
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Just a note, do you guys like, talk about me when you go out for beers?
We sure do.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #1900
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Thank you for this example of what a useful post looks like. I'll be sure to incorporate your notes into my performance review followup and subsequent work habits.

Just a note, do you guys like, talk about me when you go out for beers? That's pretty flattering.
You're an abrasive, snipy poster on CP with a lot of drive by posts and I feel like you probably don't see it that way. Just my opinion, but that's why you get the responses you do, not because everyone randomly decides to pick on you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: