Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #41
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Bravo, that was well done! Great way to finally wrap up this fantastic series.

Did ya notice Garret Dillahunt (Francis Wolcott/Jack McCall) made a cameo? He was the drunk in the mob who said "I hope you die in the street, like my dad did".
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HalifaxDrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #42
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you need to watch the series to know what's going on?
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Do you need to watch the series to know what's going on?
Yes. It's a grand finale to the series. I don't think you'd understand most of what's going on without having seen the series.

On the bright side, if you've never seen the series, you now have that to look forward to.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #44
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nicely done! Deadwood 2.0 coming with telephone lines and ipads

Thought they went pretty far in making the speech poetic, even moreso than in the series. I'll likely rewatch it

Last edited by calumniate; 06-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #45
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed seeing more Deadwood, although I could watch some of the characters forever, and I am sad to see the end.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering what they had to work with I think we got the best that they could give. A single 110 minute film was never going to do full justice to such an incredibly intricate series, but I feel frustratingly satisfied. I say that because I will ALWAYS want more of these characters, the setting, and delightfully baroque language. To me, Deadwood is the pinnacle of television.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

After how careful Milch and Company were to staying true to historical chronology, as best they could, it was a bit jarring to see Charlie Utter murdered. The real Utter left Deadwood, and there is no verifiable records of where he ended up other than evidence he was in Panama around 1913. However, it was the right choice for the plot of the film, as there were few characters as universally accepted and respected as Charlie. Probably the only other character revered in the same vein was Ellsworth, and his fate echoed into the film as well.

It was tough to see some characters had changed so much, but it all stayed true to what likely would have been each their paths after the conclusion of the series. Dan was more refined, Johnny appeared to establish himself as a key component of the Gem, and Doc Cochrane was mysteriously cured of Tuberculosis (but still the damn doc!). Joannie had taken over the Bella Union, although she seemed to be living a self-fulfilling prophecy in her misery and lack of direction, and there was barely a passing mention of Tolliver.

Bullock had softened and settled into a loving family life with Martha, Sol and Trixie were seamlessly brought back to life (you would swear Paula Malcomson hadn't left the role for 13 years). Alma levied her power to avenge Ellsworth and the camp in the only way she could, and Jane found some semblance of agency and redemption by returning to save both Joannie and Bullock. Even Wu was there to switch roles and counsel Swigen for once.

Hearst got his comeuppance. Humiliated, powerless, with a beating just short of death (which was suggested by Bullock about Commissioner Jarry in the second season).

Also, Garrett Dillahunt appeared in a cameo for his third role in the show, and somehow Con Stapleton wound up as the minister.

And then there's Swearengen. The life he lived ultimately killed him. Yet, as ruthless and domineering as he had been he still had those most important to him with him in the end. However, this time there was no longer the guise of Al Swearengen. It was just Al, dying and needing comfort, accepting his softness and vulnerability. It was gut wrenching to see him like this, but it was a fitting end to the character. I'm still a bit of an emotional wreck picturing him on his deathbed.

In the end, it was the perfect combination of fan service, nostalgia, refreshing resurrection, and completion. I'm so thankful we finally got the bow we deserved for this beautiful package.

Frustratingly satisfying.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #47
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too wanted to watch it in one sitting so finally had the chance last night
I would say it was perfect
Hearst may be the best villain in the history of tv
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #48
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They did the show proud. Movie was true in story, theme and tone to the original. Glad they got to wrap it up the way they did. Deadwood is an underrated show in the HBO catalogue
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #49
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this was fun and I enjoyed it, but it felt like it was missing a final act, didn't it? I know that's somewhat ironic given how the show ended, but there was a bunch of unresolved stuff.

The main one is obvious... how has Hearst been defeated? There's still no evidence to convict him, because his men killed the only witness. So what changed? It was just weird, he shows up to the party with the two other lawmen to arrest Trixie, Bullock says "nope, I'm a arrest you instead", and the two lawmen basically shrug their shoulders and let him, and that's the resolution to the film's conflict? Pretty unsatisfying.

Another obvious issue is that they left the whole Alma / Bullock / Martha drama kind of hanging in the air as Martha sees them batting their eyes at each other and then leaves the party and is then seen ushering their children off while Hearst is being beaten by the mob. So... what about that? No resolution to that thread either?

There were a few other things like that. It'd be nice if they actually tied the movie up like... a movie. The only thing I have to compare this to in terms of a film coming long after the cancellation of a TV show is Serenity, and I felt like everything else aside, it did a much better job of tying the bow on the series.

Still very glad they made it and that we got to see it, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #50
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So this was fun and I enjoyed it, but it felt like it was missing a final act, didn't it? I know that's somewhat ironic given how the show ended, but there was a bunch of unresolved stuff.

The main one is obvious... how has Hearst been defeated? There's still no evidence to convict him, because his men killed the only witness. So what changed? It was just weird, he shows up to the party with the two other lawmen to arrest Trixie, Bullock says "nope, I'm a arrest you instead", and the two lawmen basically shrug their shoulders and let him, and that's the resolution to the film's conflict? Pretty unsatisfying.

Another obvious issue is that they left the whole Alma / Bullock / Martha drama kind of hanging in the air as Martha sees them batting their eyes at each other and then leaves the party and is then seen ushering their children off while Hearst is being beaten by the mob. So... what about that? No resolution to that thread either?

There were a few other things like that. It'd be nice if they actually tied the movie up like... a movie. The only thing I have to compare this to in terms of a film coming long after the cancellation of a TV show is Serenity, and I felt like everything else aside, it did a much better job of tying the bow on the series.

Still very glad they made it and that we got to see it, though.
They tried to shoehorn everything into 110 minutes. They ran out of road to really tie up the stories, and I agree with all your points. Still, I'm thankful we got anything in an attempt to create some resolution. I was nerding out so hard on the first watch that nothing really mattered.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #51
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just grateful we got to see them all one more time. That was a thank you to the fans and a love letter to the cast and crew.

A few loose threads aside, it was pretty much perfect.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big bump as I finally finished the series and the film. Have to say this is one of my favorite TV shows ever, maybe only second to Mad Men. Can’t believe it took me this long to get to it.

As for the film, beautiful is the word that comes to mind. I like the way not everything was wrapped in a pretty bow and no doubt the victory over Hearst was more symbolic. But as a finale, I’d say it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. Actually probably the very best.

Hearst is an incredible villain, as someone else said, one of the best ever on TV.
I want to grow up to be Seth Bullock.
Al and Don Draper are two of the most interesting characters ever conceived. Incredibly written and acted.
And I might be in love with Alma.

What a show.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: