Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #81
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You said last 5 years and then posted stats for half a season.

Is there a reason for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just highlighting their records in the months since those posts were made. This season certainly hasn’t done anything to strengthen the dumb take that the difference between them is “elite” vs “just good.” At worst, they’re similar, but I think Varlamov has the edge.

You should be able to get Varlamov for less and sign him for cheaper. He’s a better bet, so I take him over Bob in that situation 10/10 times.

Do I want either right now with Rittich emerging? Probably not.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #82
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
He’s probably upset because they offered Panarin free whiskey for life if he re-signed and didn’t make the same offer to him.
Vodka.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #83
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You should be able to get Varlamov for less and sign him for cheaper. He’s a better bet, so I take him over Bob in that situation 10/10 times.
I think you are courting disaster. There is something about being on the same ice with the Flames that just sucks away all of Varlamov's talent and then he can't stop a beach ball.

He could be the worst goalie blow-up in franchise history if the Flaming C voodoo theory is correct...
Old 01-11-2019, 03:45 AM   #84
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Monahan, Gaudreau (and Bouma) say hi.
I get what you are saying. They were disciplined by the team for extra-curricular activities, but they were already on the team. The Flames has no choice but to work it out. Plus they were young.

I don’t know what Bobrovsky did, but the situation does make me apprehensive about adding him to the mix, at least without more information.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #85
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You said last 5 years and then posted stats for half a season.

Is there a reason for that.

Ya he conviently forgets 2 Vezina trophies and 2 1st team all star nods
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #86
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My impression of Bobrovsky is that he alternates Vezina years and crappy years.

My impression of Varlamov is that he had one amazing year and then has been injured/bad since then.

I'm too lazy to check to see if the stats bear these opinions out. LOL
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #87
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Just highlighting their records in the months since those posts were made. This season certainly hasn’t done anything to strengthen the dumb take that the difference between them is “elite” vs “just good.” At worst, they’re similar, but I think Varlamov has the edge.

Do I want either right now with Rittich emerging? Probably not.

If you can get Varmy for less and sign him cheaper, how can he have the edge in playing?

Over the past number of years, BoBo has a big edge in his stats.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #88
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now there are reports that Bob has been asked to stay away from the rink/team until further notics. Getting ugly real fast.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #89
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Now there are reports that Bob has been asked to stay away from the rink/team until further notics. Getting ugly real fast.
If this is true , then they have to trade him now. It would be a big distraction if they brought him back "until further notice". This probably also would lower his trade value.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/arch...happy-all-year

Quote:
“I don’t think there is a future. I think the future is he’ll play somewhere else next year,” predicted Friedman. “I think what happened was… one thing I reported in the past is last summer Jarmo Kekalainen, the GM, asked to meet with both Panarin and Bobrovsky in Spain. Everybody lives overseas, and I think they were supposed to meet in Spain. Panarin showed up and Bobrovsky didn’t.

“Bobrovsky apparently has never gotten over some things that were said after the playoff loss last year, and he didn’t show up for the meeting. So everything started off on a bad foot this year. And it has continued.
Quote:
“He’s also got a no-trade clause. He protects everything. I believe there was a point this year where he gave them a small list of teams he would consider going to, but either that still isn’t there or it went away; but now I think there’s even questioning would agree to go anywhere. And it’s a tough trade to make right now anyway.
Quote:
And there was no guarantee you could even trade Bobrovsky. I’ve heard - I can’t say 100 percent if it’s true, but I believe it - I’ve heard that there were teams that asked last summer about Bobrovsky, and he basically said, ‘I’m not going anywhere.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #91
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Why are people saying he is crazy? Are they getting him mixed up with Bryzgalov?

Yep! I did.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #92
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shannon said he refused to return to the bench from the dressing room after being pulled in the game against TB. When the trainer went to get him, he was already showered and dressed. I guess that's the incident that led to the "suspension".

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #93
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If you can get Varmy for less and sign him cheaper, how can he have the edge in playing?

Over the past number of years, BoBo has a big edge in his stats.

When you factor in team play, quality of shots, their SV% in certain situations, etc, Bob appears to be the beneficiary of having played on good, defensively capable teams. If you just look at the stats out of context, sure, Bob has an edge, but that’s basically the worst way to look at defensive stats, especially goaltender stats.

A player’s salary has only moderate correlation to their ability. You can go around the league and find dozens of examples of this. Identifying good players in bad situations can be a huge win, and picking up bad players from good teams is a huge mistake. Not saying Bob is bad, at all, but that you can get better value out of Varlamov.

Just look at Lindholm, Skinner, W. Karlson, Lehner, etc. Great value. The players didn’t change, but their situations improved and they improved.

On the other side: Bobby Ryan, Scott Darling, Troy Brouwer, Milan Lucic, etc. Going from a contender to something very much not showed the warts. Same players, worse situations.

The key is not to just pay the highest for whoever has the highest stats. You’ve got to measure those stats against their situations, and try to identify the best player from that context. That’s how you acquire high value guys without rocking your cap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #94
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So basically CBJ have to fire the GM to fix this.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #95
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Ya he conviently forgets 2 Vezina trophies and 2 1st team all star nods
I feel like a few of you are convieniently ignoring his point. Just to get digs in.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #96
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not particularly interested in either BoBo or Varmy , and Pepsi makes valid general points about players values, but I think he is way off base in that Bobo has been a horse that has played huge minutes and leading his team into the playoffs, while Varmy has played less and been injured often.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
So basically CBJ have to fire the GM to fix this.
Why would the Jackets fire their GM when the problem will be gone this summer anyhow?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #98
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, none of this is making me want the Flames to sign Bobrovsky.

Wow, what an unprofessional baby.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #99
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Varlamov, by year
Did rebound to 0.920 last year but absolutely do not want at all. Horrible decline. The bounce back to 0.920 may be the anolomy
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #100
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not particularly interested in either BoBo or Varmy , and Pepsi makes valid general points about players values, but I think he is way off base in that Bobo has been a horse that has played huge minutes and leading his team into the playoffs, while Varmy has played less and been injured often.
Sure, injuries are a factor. But over the last 5 years (including this season) Bob has only played 33 more games than Varlamov (248 vs 215). The difference between isn’t all that large. Over that time, just looking at basic SV%, Bob has an edge of .919 vs .915.

My argument is that looking at the situations they’ve played in over that stretch (including some of the factors I’ve previously mentioned, defensive situations, special teams, etc), Bob has benefitted from playing on a better, more defensively capable team. So much so, that if a team is choosing between the two, paying Bob a dime more than Varlamov would be a mistake.

The reason I brought this up months ago was the idea that Bob would require assets and 8+ million per. That’s a mistake. You can get Varlamov for less, and he gives you an equal or better chance to win.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: