Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #81
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default $25-a-day daycare pilot project coming to 18 Alberta early learning child care centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Just a heads up for those with kids turning 5: If you think your childcare expenses are going to be halved when half-day kindergarten starts, think again. After school care from someone who is willing to feed/tutor your kid can be 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of full day.

Agreed. Especially since most kindergartens aren't even a half day, they're more like 2.5-3 hours. So you have to find a daycare that can accommodate pick-up (or drop-off) if there is no onsite care at the school. Obviously they're going to charge a decent amount since you're short on options and they're doing a majority of the daily care.

The system is not set up for two working parents.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #82
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Even with full day Kindergarten, you still pay an additional cost per month to help cover the added costs of the cirriculum, or at least that was the case for us ($320), and you still had before and after school care for that which was $420 if you were at the school(and could get in), or $500 off site. It actually worked out to less money for half day kindergarten, and before and after school care which was $600 per month, and than $390 to buy a bus pass.

From a day care perspective though I get it....you need to staff for peak times in the morning where people drop the kids off. Than they all leave, and you can't just send your staff home. So it's probably more difficult to staff for a 2 hour morning rush, and than 3 hours after school, than full day.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #83
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I don't want to out 1%er Caniehdianman here but I have two kids in daycare at about that cost (as do many of our friends). It is an absolute gong show and as he said, I'm 100% this day care is not aimed at me and my peers and I'm somehow going to end up getting screwed.
Yup, we'll pay for it but not get to benefit from it. It's the Canadian way, and it's getting worse and worse and honestly is one of the reasons I am strongly considering a move to one of our US offices after rejecting it for many years.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 11-16-2016 at 02:17 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #84
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I was in Havasu, it was a normal size operation (4 or 5 rooms?) all staffed by white Middle Ages women.
What did they feed your kids? Mead and boiled rabbit? Probably explains the low cost.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
What did they feed your kids? Mead and boiled rabbit? Probably explains the low cost.
What? Luxury! Vikings would (and have) killed for a meal that Kingly!

Now, if you're making the kids hunt the rabbit and running some sort of slave-kid Mead sweatshop then...okay, yeah.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #86
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
lol

Food is FAR cheaper in the US, even with exchange. Meals were no different than here; cereal, cheese sticks, sandwiches, fruit, juice boxes etc etc.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #87
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
lol

Food is FAR cheaper in the US, even with exchange. Meals were no different than here; cereal, cheese sticks, sandwiches, fruit, juice boxes etc etc.
When were you there? Lake Havasu is an insanely seasonal place. Off-seasons, everything is dirt cheap. Lakefront with 3 course breakfast and free golf for $60/day. During spring break, expect to pay $400 for the same thing.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #88
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Speaking as somebody who has kids that are going to age out of this system by the time it's fully implemented, I have zero problem paying for it. Financially the last 6 years have been a rough time, and I consider our family to be pretty good with our money. If future parents can be alleviated of that headache, I don't mind my taxes going towards it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #89
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any daycare recommendations for infant care (~ 12 months) in the deep SW? I only seem to be able to find pre-school care (2-3yo+)

Seton YMCA is basically a lost cause now.. lol
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #90
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the actual issue here? Are daycare licenses capped/not handed out?

It seems crazy that Calgary has huge unemployment, what seems like massive demand, and tons of downtown open real estate.

Why aren't people renting out a floor in the vacant office buildings and putting day homes downtown? Or did I just give away the best business idea of the year?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #91
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

With all the layoffs in the last couple years, a few of the people I know who operated day homes have had to shut down. 1 spouse is/was out of work so they pulled their kids out of the day home. The subsidized daycares like the YMCA have years waiting lists at this point. I hear the Quarry Park one doesn't even add people to the list anymore because it's so long.

There are so many insurance/security/staffing concerns with starting a daycare that it doesn't surprise me that new ones aren't being opened.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #92
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
With all the layoffs in the last couple years, a few of the people I know who operated day homes have had to shut down. 1 spouse is/was out of work so they pulled their kids out of the day home. The subsidized daycares like the YMCA have years waiting lists at this point. I hear the Quarry Park one doesn't even add people to the list anymore because it's so long.

There are so many insurance/security/staffing concerns with starting a daycare that it doesn't surprise me that new ones aren't being opened.
Yeah. We know someone that had a kid about 7 months ago and lives a couple blocks from the West Hillhurst $25 daycare. She tried to get on a waitlist before the kid was born but was told that they aren't accepting any applications for a waitlist.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #93
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

Do u mean day cares are shutting down or day homes?

Demand for day homes is incredibly high still as far as I last checked.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #94
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Do u mean day cares are shutting down or day homes?

Demand for day homes is incredibly high still as far as I last checked.
Experienced day homes are shutting down and it's likely putting more strain on day cares. Especially the subsidized ones.

Layoffs have one parent home now. Though I'm sure some new day homes open up for the same reason. Subsidizing income. But I'd be wary of leaving my kid with someone who's just doing it to fill time/money. It takes a special personality/temperament to do that job.

Last edited by KTrain; 01-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #95
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
What is the actual issue here? Are daycare licenses capped/not handed out?

It seems crazy that Calgary has huge unemployment, what seems like massive demand, and tons of downtown open real estate.

Why aren't people renting out a floor in the vacant office buildings and putting day homes downtown? Or did I just give away the best business idea of the year?
Fill yer boots.

I can't think of a worse job than being a dayhome operator. And I have a kid. No chance in hell.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #96
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't just put kids in an empty office tower. There are all sorts of rules about required outdoor space and what
-not to be a daycare.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #97
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah. We know someone that had a kid about 7 months ago and lives a couple blocks from the West Hillhurst $25 daycare. She tried to get on a waitlist before the kid was born but was told that they aren't accepting any applications for a waitlist.
That Weat Hilhurst as a first come fisrt serve sudsidized day care is ridiculous. That they didn’t means test the subsidy is so stupid.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #98
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of the issues has always been that the ratio requirements for kids <18 months are much more stringent than for older kids, so spots have always been limited at that age. The minimum wage increase has really hurt a lot of child care centres so they're running on the minimum staff possible, further reducing their capacity to take on kids that young.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #99
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone have any daycare recommendations for infant care (~ 12 months) in the deep SW? I only seem to be able to find pre-school care (2-3yo+)

Seton YMCA is basically a lost cause now.. lol
We had our kids at Somerset Child Care for the last 6 years. Would recommend. They take kids at 12 months.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #100
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That Weat Hilhurst as a first come fisrt serve sudsidized day care is ridiculous. That they didn’t means test the subsidy is so stupid.
I think they are all first come first served.

It is really weird that the government decided to randomly subsidize some peoples daycare spots but it seems that that is what they did.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote