Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #21
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Turns out that maybe the QC wasn't the problem...
The problem is obviously manly women. Maybe QC had too many and ran the team out of town?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
I never understood why the Flames moved their farm team into Canucks Territory other than they were getting a sweet deal from the town.

Why can't the farm team be based out of Calgary just like the Marlies play in Toronto?

Isn't there a new hockey facility being built at Canada Olympic Park?

Couldn't they play at the Saddledome or the Corral?
It would saturate the market. We already have the Hitmen.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should've been placed in Saskatchewan. Between Regina and Saskatoon so they could fight over who's team it is.

Shoud've called it Regkatoon (reject-town)
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should make a trade. The Blades to Abbotsford and the Heat to Saskatoon.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I never understood why the Flames moved their farm team into Canucks Territory other than they were getting a sweet deal from the town.

Why can't the farm team be based out of Calgary just like the Marlies play in Toronto?

It will never happen, because we have a WHL team with an NHL team.
Look at Edmonton, they had an AHL team during the lockout but promptly moved when the NHL came back.

In other words, the hockey market is too saturated to have another hockey club in the city.
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg69 View Post
Look at Edmonton, they had an AHL team during the lockout but promptly moved when the NHL came back.
I don't think the AHL team ever actually left.

Last edited by kermitology; 03-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kermitology For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #27
flamesaresmokin
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I don't know what kind of business model they're running but I don't disagree with them. The Calgary Flames should be filling the bills if their farm is short not the city, it is a private business isn't it?

Hockey should be taking a backseat to more important government spending like police, etc.

Frankly, I don't mind the Dome and if the Flames or the Oilers want to build new arenas than do it out of your pocket, they make enough money.
Exactly. The last thing I want is my tax dollars going to helping a bunch of owners who clearly only care about their own bottom line. Right now our focus should be on improving health, education,city roadways, lrt line and the airport tunnel. Not helping a private business make more money then it already does.

If taxpayers were to subsidize their building what are the chances they would offer citizens 15-20% decreases in ticket prices for the next decade in return? Its practically the same thing they are asking us to do.

Its funny when the flames were losing money every year they didn't hesitate to publicize their losses but now when they are rolling in dough we don't hear a peep out of how much they are in the black each year and I can hardly wait for the threats of moving the team again if we don't chip in.
flamesaresmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

The new COP rink will only seat 3000, so even if they sold out every single night, they'd still be getting less fans than they need to be sustainable.

I'd doubt the 'Dome would be able to host the Flames and Hitmen, plus all the concerts, PLUS another hockey team with a full winter schedule.

That just leaves the Corral. Have you been in there recently? I play hockey there sometimes, and for beer league hockey games it serves it's purpose, but the place is a dump, and would be pretty embarassing for a proffessional hockey team to play in.

Not to mention, the Calgary hockey market would be pretty saturated at the point. The Flames will always get the lions share of hockey fans, but if you're trying to split hockey fans that are willing to watch hockey below the NHL level (which already isn't a lot, see: Hitmen), then both teams (Hitmen and Heat) are going to suffer. You'd see the Hitmen's attendance drop, and you'd also see the Heat not get the fanbase they should when they arrive.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #29
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Calgary hockey market is already plenty saturated.
NHL Flames
WHL Hitmen
AJHL Canucks
AJHL Royals
CIS Dinos
ACAC Mount Royal
ACAC SAIT
AJHL Okotoks
etc etc etc

Each of these teams has their market, but the Calgary AJHL teams draw flies.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesaresmokin View Post
The last thing I want is my tax dollars going to helping a bunch of owners who clearly only care about their own bottom line. Right now our focus should be on ... the airport tunnel. Not helping a private business make more money then it already does.
The people who are complaining the most about the cancellation of the airport tunnel are the owners of the hotels on the south and east side of the airport (Port O'Call, Sandman, Sheraton, etc.) who will see their business drop without that easy access to the airport.

The tunnel, if built, will only benefit a very small percentage of Calgary's residents who will have a slightly shorter route to the airport and Deerfoot (with the tunnel, they'll be able to use Airport Trail to get to the Deerfoot; without it, they'll have to continue to use either Country Hills or McKnight).

I dare say that many more Calgarians would benefit from and make use of a new arena than will ever use the airport tunnel.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The funny thing about helping a business flourish is that a business does funny things like employ people who pay municiple and provincial taxes, they consume the services of other businesses who also pay local and provincial (and federal) tax.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #32
BringTheKnightsBack
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Turns out that maybe the QC wasn't the problem...
Your podunk town couldn't support the AHL. Get over it. Go blog about how Davenport is so awesome because it has some crappy old building they're trying to restore. Woo hoo!
BringTheKnightsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #33
QCHockeyFan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheKnightsBack View Post
Your podunk town couldn't support the AHL. Get over it. Go blog about how Davenport is so awesome because it has some crappy old building they're trying to restore. Woo hoo!

Guess what, yours couldn't either! Hahahahaha

I don't agree with QuadCityImages hockey related posts that make him appear very bitter, but at least he's taking part in other areas of CP in a positive way. Get a life and make a positive post for once. You've made 18 posts in 2 years and all are you crying about the Flames screwing Omaha in one way or another. Loser.
QCHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QCHockeyFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #34
BringTheKnightsBack
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCHockeyFan View Post
Guess what, yours couldn't either!
That's because we were too busy supporting UNO and the USHL which are still big draws here. When you Quad City folk can barely support more than just some crappy UHL team that nobody has ever heard of then you can lecture us Omaha fans about not supporting hockey.
BringTheKnightsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
the Calgary AJHL teams draw flies.
personally, i'd point the finger at ticket prices. $12 to go see tier 2 junior hockey, gimme a break!

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #36
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
personally, i'd point the finger at ticket prices. $12 to go see tier 2 junior hockey, gimme a break!

Yeah, it's pretty high for that level.

Hitmen playoff tickets = $12

AJHL tickets = $12

Decisions, decisions....
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

BCHL tix are 12 bucks here too.

Jr. B sits at 7 for Beaver Valley, 8 for everyone else.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #38
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheKnightsBack View Post
That's because we were too busy supporting UNO and the USHL which are still big draws here. When you Quad City folk can barely support more than just some crappy UHL team that nobody has ever heard of then you can lecture us Omaha fans about not supporting hockey.
Sweet, Your area would rather watch USHL (I have watched hundreds of Roughrider games and it's a good product) and College Hockey over the 2nd best league in the world.

One thing you're forgetting is that Calgary owned half the team and couldn't get it to work. QC was privately owned.... They also had one of the best teams in the league while they were in Omaha and you still couldn't support the team. While in QC they were flirting all year at the .500 mark with a nice 9 game loosing streak one year.

Now why don't you stay in your pudunk town and have fun watching the cornhuskers or lancers.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #39
18flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who pays for junior b when you can get a front row seat for free by being the backup goalie.
18flames is offline   Reply With Quote