Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default So QC...what was with those Cowboy jerseys?

Many NHL fans have now seen the infamous Cowboy/Sheriff jerseys that the Mallards once wore, I was curious as to the full story behind them. I've heard a few short comments that they were for a charity or some kind of one-off game but what's the full story on them? Why that particular design at all?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-17-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I may need the help of others to complete the story, but here is the gist of it.

Every year the team here in the QC had a charity auction game, usually held in Feb. or March to raise money for a local charity (Gilda's Club, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Genesis Medical Center, Etc.). It started , I believe, or first year of having hockey, in '95. They would always have a special jersey made up for the event, and after the game, have a local auctioneer come in and auction them off. The players would dance, sing, do skits, etc. One year we had guys bring one of the players trucks out onto the ice during the auction, start up a charcoal grill, and cook burgers, dogs, and eat while they watched the sales. They broke out the coolers and had a few while they cooked. It was great. They would do just about anything to get their bids up. At first, the jersey were throwback style jerseys, then it moved to themed holiday sweaters, (Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's day), but were usually still normal jerseys in the themed colours. Then it started getting bad, and started turning into "printed" style jerseys, (disco, Hawaiian floral), then came the cartoons. That's were the cowboy came from, along with a pirate style jersey, complete with ruffles. I'm sure DS has a complete catalog of the different jerseys we have had over the years. They were all picked by, I think, our GM at the time, Howard Cornfield. We managed to bring in obscene amounts of money for those jerseys every year (I believe 1 year we brought in over $100,000.). Others will probably be able to add to the story.

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wow, so there were even more wacky ones than those sheriff ones?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

COMPLETE specialty jersey history of the Mallards in a couple later posts!

I have pictures of pretty much all of them, but will be busy uploading last night's pictures for awhile. I'll add some pictures of the various auction jerseys this afternoon. Until then, however, here are three pics of the pirate theme jerseys -

Pirate 1
Pirate 2
Pirate 3

Minor league attitude, major league pain

Last edited by Drunk Skunk; 01-18-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
I have pictures of pretty much all of them, but will be busy uploading last night's pictures for awhile. I'll add some pictures of the various auction jerseys this afternoon. Until then, however, here are three pics of the pirate theme jerseys -

Pirate 1
Pirate 2
Pirate 3
yikes, that's almost a Seinfeld episode there
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ah, memories!!!!

The auctions sometimes got absolutely wild. Players stripped to up the bidding and always did their own skits (which some worked on for weeks, including renting costumes!). We have always had a great relationship with our players and it made for a great night for all....especially since the actual jersey itself was kept top secret until the guys hit the ice.

Wait til you see some of the others! I've never bought an auction jersey, but it's an event not to be missed! Wonder if we'll still have them....

I just was looking for a total to back up what Hoody said and found this in a QConline article from last spring....

Quote:
It's a chance to let their hair down and show the fans what they're all about. That's the way the Quad City Mallards' players prepare for the annual jersey auction.

"Every team has a jersey auction, but it's usually standing up there with your suit on and holding up a jersey," Mallards defenseman Steve MacIntyre said. "This is so much more fun and entertaining. The fans love it and the guys love it. This is our chance to show the fans we're more than hockey players. We get to show them what we're about and what we like to do."

The Mallards' organization also passed a milestone early in the auction. When Sean Starke's jersey went for $1,800, it meant the total for the 12 auctionss passed a half-million dollars that the team has donated to charity through its annual event.
Another article also said that there will, indeed, be another jersey auction this spring....
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyOne View Post
Ah, memories!!!!

The auctions sometimes got absolutely wild. Players stripped to up the bidding and always did their own skits (which some worked on for weeks, including renting costumes!). We have always had a great relationship with our players and it made for a great night for all....especially since the actual jersey itself was kept top secret until the guys hit the ice.

Wait til you see some of the others! I've never bought an auction jersey, but it's an event not to be missed! Wonder if we'll still have them....

I just was looking for a total to back up what Hoody said and found this in a QConline article from last spring....

Another article also said that there will, indeed, be another jersey auction this spring....
One of my ex-girlfriends bought Vlad Serov's disco jersey. It's uncomfortable wearing a jersey that cost $2,600.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those pirate jerseys are hilarious and disgusting at the same time.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow that's awesome. What league were the Mallards?
Can you imagine Sutters face if he showed up at the QC Flames had kept that tradition alive without telling him?
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
Can you imagine Sutters face if he showed up at the QC Flames had kept that tradition alive without telling him?
United Hockey League. Formerly the Colonial Hockey League (CoHL). Thunder Bay had some awesome teams in the CoHL!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #11
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I may have over-estimated in my original post. If Sparky's article mentioned that we passed $500,000 in twelve years, I know we didn't do $100,000 in a single year. I apologize for the inflation, but we still had people paying obscene amounts of money for a game-worn sweater, even if it was for charity. Someone mentioned you could get a NHL gamer for less money that some of those ugly Mallard sweaters went for.

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #12
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gayest jerseys ever.

I always wonder when I see things like this, how do the people who make these decisions get into the positions they do to have the power to make them???

Was Mike Milbury in charge there?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

We've had some hideous jerseys. I'll find the warmup jersey pictures too. Here's some other auction shirts

"Touch Of Class" night

Last year's St. Patrick's Day jersey 1 and 2.

Race Night 1, 2, and 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
We are. There is a jersey auction later this season.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

No pics of the Cowboy jersey yet? Here you go, in all its glory:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../cowboy6lr.png

There have been a lot of "unusual" jerseys in hockey, but this baseball one takes the cake... behold, the Price is Right jersey!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/5...cd96af6e_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/...7454bdee_o.jpg

Gotta love the name tag and the "big wheel" sleeve trim
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
No pics of the Cowboy jersey yet? Here you go, in all its glory:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../cowboy6lr.png

There have been a lot of "unusual" jerseys in hockey, but this baseball one takes the cake... behold, the Price is Right jersey!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/5...cd96af6e_o.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/...7454bdee_o.jpg

Gotta love the name tag and the "big wheel" sleeve trim
That pic of the cowboy jerseys is mine.

Last edited by Drunk Skunk; 01-18-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had to pick a fav out of those charity Jerseys... I'd definitely go with Race night
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We've had some hideous jerseys.
We certainly have! I had totally forgotten that the tux jerseys were called "A Touch of Class"!!

Those, the cowboys and the pirates are my least favorites. Just downright horrible. I think the "bad" started with the Hawaiian jerseys and they went down hill from there!! What's really unbelievable is that people actually wore them after they won them!!!

I'm glad the charities get the bucks, but there's no way I'm spending my hard-earned money on those things!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

The valentine jerseys we had quite a few years ago were really sharp, so were the "millenium ducks". I'll see if I can't find pictures of them somewhere

Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #19
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The valentine jerseys we had quite a few years ago were really sharp, so were the "millenium ducks". I'll see if I can't find pictures of them somewhere

Last year they were going to wear Pink jerseys for valentines day and the players voted it down.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Picture heavy post - this is a visual history of most, if not all, of the Quad City specialty jerseys. Some of them are hideous. I'll describe some of them

St. Patrick's Day jerseys from the first year of the Mallards, auctioned

Halloween jersey from the second season, given away in a free drawing(This was a promo jersey for a radio station)

"Throwback" jersey from the second season, auctioned

"Roman" jersey from the third season, auctioned

Valentine's Day "Broken Hearts" jersey from the fourth season, auctioned

"Millennium Mallards" jersey from the fifth season, auctioned(highest single auction jersey ever, Gary Gulash, $7,100)

"Disco Ducks" jersey from the sixth season, auctioned

(MORE TO COME)