GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #242
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Saw Free Solo tonight with friends. My amygdala is splattered everywhere.
Quote:
It's pretty amazing to see how far climbing has progressed. That hob nail boot pendulum looked fun. Free climbing el cap was still unimaginable when I spent summers there in the 90's. And then Lynn Hill came along. Now Honnold is doing 5.13 moves 2500 feet up with no ropes and topping out in 3 and a half hours. I can't think of another athlete in any sport that progressed the state of the art like him. That movie made my finger tips sweat.
I have no idea what's going on.
Flamesguy_SJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #243
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
I have no idea what's going on.

The video below is a bit of a documentary about the documentary I watched called Free Solo which is playing in Calgary now. As an aging former Yosemite climber it's quite a thing to see someone do what the guy in the movie does. My venture up el cap included 150 pounds of gear, seven days and hands that would never be the same again. Honnold had a bag of chalk.

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #244
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The video below is a bit of a documentary about the documentary I watched called Free Solo which is playing in Calgary now. As an aging former Yosemite climber it's quite a thing to see someone do what the guy in the movie does. My venture up el cap included 150 pounds of gear, seven days and hands that would never be the same again. Honnold had a bag of chalk.

I saw Free Solo last night as well and it was amazing. I've never climbed Yosemite, but I am a sport climber/boulderer so watching Honnold do what he does is amazing, yet unsettling. As you said, Honnold not only soloed El Cap but he did it at a blistering pace. Most people take several days to get up that route and he did it in just under 4 hours. I'm about one week removed from ACL reconstruction and I found myself being super inspired by his commitment to get myself back in climbing shape as soon as I can.

It's also interesting that Honnold and Free Solo has transcended climbing culture to regular interest. I'd say that the majority of people in that theatre were not climbers (which is the first time that's ever happened to me watching a climbing film) but everyone was awestruck just the same. The fact that there was limited gear or excessive climbing lingo likely makes it easier for people to focus on the climbing.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I saw A Star is Born last night.

I get why people liked it, especially if they're Lady Gaga fans because it was basically a 2 hour long Lady Gaga commercial.

The writing and acting was excellent but the story is pretty unoriginal and very forced;

(not really a spoiler but a vague and sarcastic synopsis but I'll spoiler-tag it anyways)

Spoiler!

You know when you watch a movie about musicians, they have to perform and they go on stage and you get the highlights and then the story moves on? Yeah no. Not here. You're in a movie theater and they're performing full tracks. Over and over again. A third of that movie is Lady Gaga signing and another chunk is Bradley Cooper singing. So a solid at least half of that movie is people singing, it basically qualifies as a musical.

It was a good movie overall, especially if you're a fan of Bradley Cooper or Lady Gaga and in fairness it was a well done film, but it was nothing exceptional.

The story itself is basically a half-step above Mark Wahlberg's 'Rock Star.'

And if you're a fanboy/fangirl of neither of Cooper nor Gaga and are not an enormous fan of Lady Gaga's singing or you just loathe hearing the same song repeated over and over again like you're Christmas shopping at The Bay, you will get bored quickly.

It does have its emotional moments, but you can generally see them coming from a mile away. I will admit, there was one that got me near the very end, but I wont spoil that.

I'll repeat, overall good movie, I'd say okay. But if you love musicals, repetition, Lady Gaga or Bradley Cooper and arent bothered about a fairly plodding and predictable story then this is the film for you. The one thing I cannot impugn was the acting, there was not one weak character, the acting was solid.

And my final comment, which is Bradley Cooper in 2018's 'A Star is Born' and which is Cullen BoHannon played by Anson Mount in 2011's AMC's 'Hell on Wheels?'

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #246
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course the story is unoriginal, it’s a remake.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, David Lee Roth was the king of Half Dome.

https://www.thoughtco.com/rocker-dav...craper-3972248
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #248
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
It's actually a remake of a remake of a remake:

1937 with Janet Gaynor and Frederic March.
1954 with Judy Garland and James Mason
1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Perhaps 'unoriginal' was the wrong term, but predictable even without knowing the story of the original.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #250
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bohemian Rhapsody was a truly enjoyable movie. One of my favourites of the year.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #251
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
It's also interesting that Honnold and Free Solo has transcended climbing culture to regular interest. I'd say that the majority of people in that theatre were not climbers (which is the first time that's ever happened to me watching a climbing film) but everyone was awestruck just the same. The fact that there was limited gear or excessive climbing lingo likely makes it easier for people to focus on the climbing.
I saw this last week in Banff. Jimmy and his team did a spectacular job capturing Alex. To the average person/non-climber, he is crazy. To the climbers, he is GOD!
Can anyone think of a greater athletic feat?!
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #252
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunter Killer.

Certainly not the quality of The Hunt for Red October. But not bad for a popcorn flick.

it is in tough at the box office right now with so many other big movies, but this one wasn't bad.

i'd give it 6/10

Last edited by killer_carlson; 11-04-2018 at 09:58 PM.
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #253
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally saw A Star is Born on the weekend with my wife.

First off, I was surprised to see it was still a packed theater considering it's been out for a while. Then after we finished, I wasn't surprised at all.

I didn't know it was a remake, but wow. My wife and I were both quite floored with the movie. Very powerful, terrific acting. The tone was set with that very first duet they sang, and it had us both hooked right there.

Regarding Bradley Cooper, I've always liked him in most movies I've watched with him in it, but I was floored with his singing chops.

Regarding Lady Gaga, I've never had much of an opinion of her, other than she has a terrific voice. But she was wonderful in the movie.

Last edited by manwiches; 11-05-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: eng-rish
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #254
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Lady Gaga was pretty good in American Horror Story. Not surprised she did well in A Star is Born.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #255
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched Mandy, it's really good but I'd say it's more of an experience than a film. Just super trippy and out there but its a very good ride. I highly enjoyed it, have it as my 3rd favorite horror film this year (After Heriditary and A Quiet Place).
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #256
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon25

First man, damn that was a good movie. A real classic cinephile treat. Damn well acted, shot, directed, sound direction, script etc. Just good stuff.

The topic seemed honestly very stale and uninteresting to me, but I gave it a chance because of a good MovieBob review and I'm glad I did. I'm not usually a fan of biopic or pics about realistic space travel, but I really liked both aspects in this. The flights seemed really fresh, and for the first time ever I really, really liked watching Ryan Gosling. Claire Foy as Armstrongs wife was equally good, and they really complimented each other to create an atmosphere of quiet depths.

Highly recommended, in theater. This film will lose half of its punch watched at home.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #257
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night. I understand the backlash against how they portrayed Freddie, it's a shame and it made me sad.

However, the performance of Rami Malek was fantastic, and all the musical sequences gave me goosebumps through the whole movie.

I'm glad I went.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #258
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Comments about some movies I've seen recently:

Burning - Probably my favorite film of the year so far, overtaking Paul Schrader's First Reformed. The film was directed by Lee Chang-dong, who you may know as the director of Poetry and Secret Sunshine, and is his first film in eight years. I like how the movie can be viewed like Sluizer's The Vanishing (a protagonist who becomes obsessed about finding out the fate of his girlfriend who disappears without a trace) or like Antonioni's Blow-Up (a paranoid mystery as to whether the protagonist witnessed a murder or is seeing things that aren't really there). Very topical given the recent mass shootings in Kentucky, Pittsburgh and Tallahassee -- which I think is deliberate as Lee does depict the protagonist's growing isolation and make references to Donald Trump. How many of those shooters saw themselves as Nick Carraway-type figures pushing back against the Gatsbys of this world? Very impressive debut performance by Jeon Jong-seo as the eccentric and alluring woman the protagonist becomes obsessed about.

Mid 90s - Exactly the same storyline as This Is England (a film I adore) but replace the neo-Nazis from that film with the cast from Paranoid Park and you will have Mid 90s. I really appreciated how the movie was shot like Slacker because it made the movie feel like it was some lost artifact from the mid 90s. I have a feeling that 10 to 15 years from now, this film will be grouped amongst the best gen-x/slacker films (Slacker, SubUrbia, Kicking and Screaming, Before Sunrise, Clerks, etc.) even though it was made some 20+ years after those other movies.

A Quiet Passion - Finally caught up with this Terence Davies film. Your personal mileage will vary depending on your appreciation of Emily Dickinson's poetry as there is lots of it, usually delivered via voiceovers. Davies' films are usually naturalistic but this felt to me affected and stagy. Also, I had difficulty following the various stages of Dickinson's life as Cynthia Nixon portrayed roughly 35 years of Dickinson's life without any significant change in appearance, which I think gives viewers the feeling of stasis (although I realize that may have been Davies' intention). Still worth watching as Davies offers some of his own speculative theories as to why Dickinson became so reclusive. It's a mystery why Nixon's performance did not get an Oscar nom when you consider last year's nominees.

A Star is Born - Very enjoyable first half, especially the meet-cute and the blossoming of the relationship. The second half not so enjoyable as it plods along following the well-worn rock-star cliche of fame, compromise and addiction. I never saw any of the previous versions but my wife, who loves the Streisand/Kristofferson version, wasn't too impressed either.

Tokyo Idols - A documentary following a teenage singing idol named Rio over about a two-year period as her career is starting to ascend. I knew about creepy Japanese idol culture primarily through AKB48 and how a segment of their fanbase were middle-aged men. But I wasn't aware that there are many hopeful wannabe idols, who seem to exist in some kind of minor leagues or developmental league for future idols, whose fanbase appears to be solely middle-aged men. Some of these wannabe idols depicted in the documentary start as young as 11, and watching them perform in front of a bunch of middle-aged males made me queasy. What makes the documentary so confounding though is that these lonely middle-aged men -- though talking head interviews -- seem to have genuine platonic affection for these girls, and these girls are dependent on these men to support their dreams and nascent careers. I kept waiting for the documentary to show something that clearly crossed a line but I'm assuming the documentarians witnessed nothing untoward or else it would have been included in the film. A fascinating and weird phenomenon.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #259
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Comments about some movies I've seen recently:

Burning - Probably my favorite film of the year so far, overtaking Paul Schrader's First Reformed. The film was directed by Lee Chang-dong, who you may know as the director of Poetry and Secret Sunshine, and is his first film in eight years. I like how the movie can be viewed like Sluizer's The Vanishing (a protagonist who becomes obsessed about finding out the fate of his girlfriend who disappears without a trace) or like Antonioni's Blow-Up (a paranoid mystery as to whether the protagonist witnessed a murder or is seeing things that aren't really there). Very topical given the recent mass shootings in Kentucky, Pittsburgh and Tallahassee -- which I think is deliberate as Lee does depict the protagonist's growing isolation and make references to Donald Trump. How many of those shooters saw themselves as Nick Carraway-type figures pushing back against the Gatsbys of this world? Very impressive debut performance by Jeon Jong-seo as the eccentric and alluring woman the protagonist becomes obsessed about.

Mid 90s - Exactly the same storyline as This Is England (a film I adore) but replace the neo-Nazis from that film with the cast from Paranoid Park and you will have Mid 90s. I really appreciated how the movie was shot like Slacker because it made the movie feel like it was some lost artifact from the mid 90s. I have a feeling that 10 to 15 years from now, this film will be grouped amongst the best gen-x/slacker films (Slacker, SubUrbia, Kicking and Screaming, Before Sunrise, Clerks, etc.) even though it was made some 20+ years after those other movies.
I'm guessing you're not based in Calgary? I can't find a showtime for Burning. I was annoyed when it wasn't coming to CIFF. Now, it's not even listed under the coming soon section for Cineplex.

This Is England directed by Shane Meadows? If so, would you recommend '86, '88, and '90?

Anyone using Letterboxd?
https://letterboxd.com/
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #260
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught Hereditary on the plane yesterday. First half was slow but certainly built up the tension.

Last third or so was excellent and really ratcheted up the fear. But watching it on the plane, I have a feeling the last few minutes were heavily edited and it detracted from the movie overall.

That is a general problem with movies on the plane. You lose some of the filmmaker's intended impact unfortunately.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote