Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine
 
GreenLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Sector 2814
Exp:
Default Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread

Thought I would make our own thread so we can discuss the movie freely and i believe it deserves its own thread.

I thought Marvel nailed it. I thought this movie was highly entertaining with a mash up of buddy cop meets sci-fi meets Top Gun (Goose!!)

I thought Jackson was great as Fury, a more up beat younger version with the anti aging tech looking amazing. The background behind the eye was clutch as well.

Coulson gets some big screen love. Ronin with an awkward yet still "ahh cool they mingled another MCU element" cameo. The teseract getting some more screen time. That other guy who's Ronin's henchman in GOTG.. All of it just worked well together.

I especially loved the way they handled the strong female role model. I think this was done much better than Wonder Woman. There was a great build up, while maybe a bit predictable, with an amazing payoff. This movie was meant to target a younger female demographic and I believe that was spot on, but it was still entertaining for the adult male.

Brie Larson was a bit inconsistent is maybe my only beak, she was super confident cocky in some parts, but then able to be easily manipulated and bullied in others. And with all the timeline jumping around and flashbacks it did make it a TAD hard to follow where exactly her character development was at.. but I still think overall they did a good job.

I would rate this at a solid 7/10.

The after credits scene was also well done and doesn't really give us much more about endgame besides we can expect Marvel to show up fairly early..

But now the question arises, has the MCU made their Superman? Is she all powerful and unbeatable? They've always blurred the lines of abilities and levels of power among heroes, with a lot of inconsistencies you kind of shrug off due to everything else being very well done. But does Captain Marvel give them that Superman effect of, why not just have her one shot the baddie?
__________________
"In brightest day, in blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Nadal Fan
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Nadal Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

I don't see much similarity between Wonder Woman and Cap Marvel, besides both being women. Wonder Woman was a WW1 epic about a God and Cap Marvel is a space opera. Wonder Woman is like Thor and Cap Marvel is like Green Lantern, and for me comparing those films the women come out on top for both match-ups.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
CMPunk
aka Spike
 
CMPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Darkest Corners of My Mind
Exp:
Default

I quite enjoyed it. Wasn't my favorite but it had good moments. The soundtrack was great and the tribute to Stan lee at the start was a nice touch.


I'd give it 7/10
__________________
CP Rent-A-Goalie
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Exp:
Default

I enjoyed it too. Wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I enjoyed Jackson and especially Mendelsohn. Thought the script was kinda weak and the direction was pretty bland, and Larson kind of struggled with what she was given, but it was a fun ride overall -- and I'm really excited to see what Larson can do with a better team around her. She's such a talented actress and this role has a ton of potential.

I'd give it a 6/10 or maybe a 7 on a good day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
TO will never trade Kadri.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Yamer
Franchise Player
 
Yamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

All I know is that I am super pumped to see her in Endgame against Thanos.

It's too bad we don't get more of her character before that, however. She was just really hitting her stride in the final battle and kind of understanding how powerful she really is.

Bring on Endgame.
__________________
"It's a great day for hockey."
-'Badger' Bob Johnson (1931-1991)

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

I give it an 8/10.

I thought the special effects were stunning
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
direwolf
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Went to see it on Friday, and I enjoyed it as well. I'd give it 7/10. Great chemistry between Sam Jackson and Brie Larson.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

I enjoyed it quite a bit. But can't deny that if you take away the connection to the MCU, it would be a very forgettable stand alone movie.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

I like that this doubled as a Nick Fury Origin story without that being the focus of the plot. You got all the great Fury stuff in there without the Solo style forced movie. A much better way to fill in the gaps of your well known character.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player
 
Finger Cookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Exp:
Default

So the end credits scene I took to be taking place after Infinity War, due to Fury's prominently empty chair. But with the Tesseract vomited up, I guess not? The mid credit scene also seems to be fairly shortly after the end of Infinity War, but then Endgame seems to take place a while after? Guess I'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel. Not everything landed for me, but most of it did. Mostly I'm just glad she's in the MCU now and we can move forward with her being a presence in Endgame and onwards.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Rhettzky
Franchise Player
 
Rhettzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Section 222
Exp:
Default

I really enjoyed it. Interesting characters and a solid story overall. It was great to see Fury's beginnings (and the de-aging was actually really well done), Coulson as a rookie, and Danvers figuring out her powers. The action scene's were done well and looked great in IMAX. If I had to rank it, it would sit around Dr. Strange and Ant-man with a 7 to 8 out of 10. Overall it was just a really fun and nostalgic origin story.

My only gripe... Going into it I read a non-spoilery review about how this should have been two seperate films and at the time I didn't see how that could be possible. But after watching it I would say my biggest gripe was that I wanted to learn more about her origin story. It felt really crammed in and I guess in a way this had elements of a Danvers origin story, the plane crash and what had happened in the 6 years in between, the Fury/Coulson origins, the skrull and kree conflict, and then Captain Marvel figuring out her true power. There was just a lot going on and for a character like Thor, for instance, this arc would have been over 3 movies (Origin, Character building, Finds his true power), not that I didn't enjoy it as there was little to no filler.

Also...

Spoiler!
__________________
Go Flames Go!!
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhettzky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
Inglewood Jack
First Line Centre
 
Inglewood Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Exp:
Default

I keep hearing about how uber OP Danvers is, and that Thanos is in big trouble, but why? from what we've been shown, her powers are flight, energy projection, super strength and super durability. so basically Iron Man with the volume turned up to 12.

the various members of the avengers team have bits and pieces of that power set, maybe not quite at the same level. but what good is that against a foe that can reshape the fabric of space and time on a universal scale? it's like fighting a tank with a 2 foot long tree branch and failing, and then whipping out a tree branch that's 4 feet long.

edit: also, CM's power is derived from a plane engine, which in turn is derived from a fraction of the tesseract's power. so she's using like a tiny piece of 3rd hand power from just a single stone, which now belongs to Thanos plus 5 other stones. so I'm assuming his defeat can't possibly happen while that glove is on his hand.

Last edited by Inglewood Jack; 03-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Yamer
Franchise Player
 
Yamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So the end credits scene I took to be taking place after Infinity War, due to Fury's prominently empty chair. But with the Tesseract vomited up, I guess not? The mid credit scene also seems to be fairly shortly after the end of Infinity War, but then Endgame seems to take place a while after? Guess I'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
I think the mid-credits is shortly after Infinity War. Maybe a couple days. End-credits was just a funny tag on, but if it matters at all I think it would have been shortly after the end of CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
My only gripe... Going into it I read a non-spoilery review about how this should have been two seperate films and at the time I didn't see how that could be possible. But after watching it I would say my biggest gripe was that I wanted to learn more about her origin story. It felt really crammed in...
My exact feelings. This character deserved a bit more pre-Endgame, but I get why they inserted this directly before: the introduction of the most powerful Avenger immediately before the biggest fight for the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I keep hearing about how uber OP Danvers is, and that Thanos is in big trouble, but why? from what we've been shown, her powers are flight, energy projection, super strength and super durability. so basically Iron Man with the volume turned up to 12.

the various members of the avengers team have bits and pieces of that power set, maybe not quite at the same level. but what good is that against a foe that can reshape the fabric of space and time on a universal scale? it's like fighting a tank with a 2 foot long tree branch and failing, and then whipping out a tree branch that's 4 feet long.

edit: also, CM's power is derived from a plane engine, which in turn is derived from a fraction of the tesseract's power. so she's using like a tiny piece of 3rd hand power from just a single stone, which now belongs to Thanos plus 5 other stones. so I'm assuming his defeat can't possibly happen while that glove is on his hand.
Well, the glove looked like it shattered after "the snap", so Thanos may not be able to harness all of the stones' power.

And to me Captain Marvel has been presented as Marvel's version of Superman, which would make her substantially more powerful than Iron Man and any other character in the MCU, including Thanos.

I'm not super familiar with the comics and on what level Titans are as beings, but Thanos was defeatable without the glove, as evidenced by Thor piercing his chest.

The really interesting part was Ronin's comment about "coming back for the weapon", meaning CM. Thanos would know of her and accounted for her abilities, so I'm guessing he has a plan to harness her for his own gain.
__________________
"It's a great day for hockey."
-'Badger' Bob Johnson (1931-1991)

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 03-11-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player
 
Finger Cookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Exp:
Default

I don't think it's worth trying to rank these abilities or scale them. Vision and Scarlet Witch in the MCU were both Infinity Stone powered entities. Vision had an actual stone and was handled easily by the Dark Order. Scarlet Witch was indirectly powered by a stone and held off Thanos while he was wielding 5 of the 6 stones.

These abilities and conflicts work against each other in ways that serve the story. Not according to a scale.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I don't think it's worth trying to rank these abilities or scale them. Vision and Scarlet Witch in the MCU were both Infinity Stone powered entities. Vision had an actual stone and was handled easily by the Dark Order. Scarlet Witch was indirectly powered by a stone and held off Thanos while he was wielding 5 of the 6 stones.

These abilities and conflicts work against each other in ways that serve the story. Not according to a scale.
Pretty much. I mean, honestly, if the stones have the power the erase existence, it doesn't matter how powerful a character is, Thanos would really just turn them to dust.

I know this is an Avengers series and the villain has to lose, but it's too bad. Thanos is my favourite super villain whom I wish would have ultimately won at the end. But that's not going to happen. There's going to be some sort of plot device to take him down in the end, even if you have to suspend belief for it (I know, I talk about suspending belief about a comic book universe lol).
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Inglewood Jack
First Line Centre
 
Inglewood Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I don't think it's worth trying to rank these abilities or scale them.

These abilities and conflicts work against each other in ways that serve the story. Not according to a scale.
if you've spent any time reading vs. battle forums, you'd know that literally NOTHING is more important than being able to objectively rank the power sets of fictional characters across multiple universes, and being able to call out anyone who disagrees as a deluded fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
There's going to be some sort of plot device to take him down in the end, even if you have to suspend belief for it (I know, I talk about suspending belief about a comic book universe lol).
never let anyone use the excuse of "it's just a comic book / space wizard / zombies and dragons story!" in order to brush away weak storytelling. of course everyone knows it's fiction so suspending belief that these things actually exist goes without saying.

it's internal consistency that the audience is really after. if you didn't care about that because it's a comic book movie and anything should be possible, then you wouldn't care if the conclusion involved Happy Hogan discovering he's actually the son of Galactus and using his powers to restore life in the universe with one hand, while karate chopping Thanos' pruney head off with the other.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
These abilities and conflicts work against each other in ways that serve the story. Not according to a scale.
Yup. "Powered by the plot".
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #18
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player
 
Finger Cookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if you've spent any time reading vs. battle forums, you'd know that literally NOTHING is more important than being able to objectively rank the power sets of fictional characters across multiple universes, and being able to call out anyone who disagrees as a deluded fanboy.
That kind of nightmarish discourse is exactly why I have spent exactly no time on such forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
it's internal consistency that the audience is really after. if you didn't care about that because it's a comic book movie and anything should be possible, then you wouldn't care if the conclusion involved Happy Hogan discovering he's actually the son of Galactus and using his powers to restore life in the universe with one hand, while karate chopping Thanos' pruney head off with the other.
Yeah, something at least approaching internal consistency would be great. I've generally enjoyed the infinity stone macguffin quests so far, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the against all odds scheme in Endgame as well. The writers have done a good job so far, I have faith something great will be delivered.

It'll be nice to have something else to focus on going forward after Thanos and the stones have been lurking in the background for almost the entirety of the MCU so far.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

I enjoyed it, but think Wonder Woman was a much, much better movie.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

I enjoyed it, would rank it at a 7/10. I think the big things for me was that it seemed to start pretty slow, and only slowly get up to speed.

Also, the 'cute' surprise (Flerken) I knew about, as I've read some of Capt Marvel's stuff, and as a long time comic fan, the "OMG, the Kree and the Skrull aren't a black/white good/evil analog"...wasn't a surprise.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016