Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think gets to meet Lucile first?
Glenn 66 47.14%
Rosita 0 0%
Daryl 10 7.14%
Michonne 2 1.43%
Abe 31 22.14%
Maggie 4 2.86%
Rick 2 1.43%
Sasha 2 1.43%
Aaron 7 5.00%
Carl 1 0.71%
Eugene 14 10.00%
Somebody else 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #2081
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yea, that was pretty uneventful, and not a promising start to the season. Watching Maggie slowly turn into the new Negan was kinda cool though.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there are way more commercials during this show than any other series on TV? It honestly feels like we get 30 minutes of show and 30 minutes of commercials. Even fast forwarding through them on PVR is irritating.
That is AMC. The most bloated network for commercials. It really breaks up a show's momentum as you're watching it.

I always delay watching any AMC show at least 30 minutes so I can fast-forward through the BS.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #2082
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya the commercials. I can't take it so I just PVR it and watch it later. I'm in the sunk cost fallacy mode. I've invested so much time in this series I have to watch it to the end even though it sucks now.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #2083
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So..... boring!
Did they actually just have 20 minutes of grieving people over a character we've known for 5 minutes?

I get that it's supposed to set up the fracturing of the leadership but holy man, I'm sure you could accomplish that without lulling us to sleep for half an episode.
I disagree with this point... This is my interpretation: the kid that died wasn't someone we were supposed to care about. He was a plot device. The story was meant to kickstart the plot surrounding Gregory being a scheming prick and using the kid's parents to hurt Maggie. The story was never about the kid. It was about Gregory the whole time.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #2084
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I disagree with this point... This is my interpretation: the kid that died wasn't someone we were supposed to care about. He was a plot device. The story was meant to kickstart the plot surrounding Gregory being a scheming prick and using the kid's parents to hurt Maggie. The story was never about the kid. It was about Gregory the whole time.
I agree. I don’t need a hundred kills to appreciate an episode.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #2085
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
which is fine but the whole Gregory scheming plot was dealt with within 25 minutes. It would have been better if they drew it out a little longer.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #2086
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

no mention yet of Brett Butler? She's really aged since the last time I saw her on screen. Wonder if she's still a pain in the ass to work with.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #2087
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
no mention yet of Brett Butler? She's really aged since the last time I saw her on screen. Wonder if she's still a pain in the ass to work with.
She was on a couple episodes of the leftovers in the last few years and seeing how much she had aged was surprising then. I hadn't seen her since the Grace Under Fire days; hard to believe its been 20 years since that show ended.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #2088
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Ya the commercials. I can't take it so I just PVR it and watch it later. I'm in the sunk cost fallacy mode. I've invested so much time in this series I have to watch it to the end even though it sucks now.
Same boat as me now. I'm thinking when Rick Grimes leaves maybe its time I leave as well.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #2089
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This show has become what it was about. Dead and soulless and walking aimlessly searching for a purpose.

Last week I went back and watched the first two seasons......so much better.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #2090
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
This show has become what it was about. Dead and soulless and walking aimlessly searching for a purpose.

Last week I went back and watched the first two seasons......so much better.
Ughh...season 2 is by far the worst season, and the only season I can't get through.

This show was at it's peak around season 5. This was the point where they had reached a peak in terms of character development and the deaths all seamed very meaningful.

The first episode of this season actually seemed back on the right track for me. The success of the season will depend on how interesting the villains they introduce are. Without Rick though, I can see why a lot of people are likely to tune off.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #2091
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this season is showing some real potential at the moment.

People have been clamoring for something different and we already know that this season sees the end of Rick and Maggie and I'm expecting that to be quite the blowup and then we're going to be moving forward with a different leadership and we'll see what happens there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #2092
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Ughh...season 2 is by far the worst season, and the only season I can't get through.
I actually really like season 2. I binged the first three seasons once they were on Netflix though, so maybe that's why I didn't mind it as much. I can see how watching those episodes week to week with the ridiculous levels of AMC commercials would be irritating though. I really liked the characters the farm introduced, and Shane's decline. I loved the farm as a setting, and I thought most of the episodes were really fun and well done. The episode where the farm gets overrun is one of my favourite of the series.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #2093
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap. I knew she was in the episode but I still didn't even recognize her at all.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #2094
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Same boat as me now. I'm thinking when Rick Grimes leaves maybe its time I leave as well.
I don't come in this thread anymore unless it's out of curiosity to check on the opinions of the show maybe looking for a glimmer of a reason to start watching again but I will say after finally letting go of the show it felt like had lifted a burden off my shoulders as I no longer have to commit time to force myself to watch something I really wasn't enjoying any longer. Credit to the show for creating enough of a grip to sap probably a good year or two more than it deserved out of me but if you are thinking about quitting I would advise just to do it for a month and see how it goes. You can always go back if you change your mind but I expect most people that quit never go back.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #2095
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So why are most of the Saviors still at the Sanctuary? Everybody needs food, and around the Hilltop there is land. If nothing grows there because it is an old factory, why live there?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #2096
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So why are most of the Saviors still at the Sanctuary? Everybody needs food, and around the Hilltop there is land. If nothing grows there because it is an old factory, why live there?
That's especially true, as a lot of the Saviours were captive slaves. I can understand everyone wanting to keep the old soldiers and enforcers separate, but most of the people at the Sanctuary were families who were extorted into living there.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #2097
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This season is going to have a long drawn out theme of how political systems are created, and the conflict that arises from having different politics. While it might be interesting to explore how societies form their rules and laws, especially with different perspectives on how to do things, I think it's going to be a lot of talking and little action. That's fine, but debating the finer points of equality in societies and the rules of law are going to be a little bit pedantic for a show like this. I'm not really looking forward to it.

Also, some weird character changes already: Maggie is mean and harsh all of a sudden? Ok then. Ezekiel is madly in love with Carol and wants to marry her? That was quick. Both of those things feel a little forced to me. Darryl possibly being disloyal to Rick doesn't make a lick of sense to me. That man is basically his family.

Oh, and big shock, Gregory is an evil backstabbing prick yet again. At least this time they dealt with it appropriately.

I dunno, we'll see where this season goes, but I wasn't encouraged by the opener.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #2098
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That was quick.
Keep in mind that somewhere between 6-15 months has passed since last season. Maggie went from being pregnant to having a baby who is crawling. Judith went from single words to full sentences.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #2099
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Keep in mind that somewhere between 6-15 months has passed since last season. Maggie went from being pregnant to having a baby who is crawling. Judith went from single words to full sentences.
And Ezekiel has been crushing on Carol pretty much since Day 1, and Maggie has had a long time to stew on Rick not killing Negan, the man who bashed her husband's head in with a bat.

Plenty of time to be bitter about that.

Add to that the former Saviours living at Hilltop that shes responsible for as well as Rick basically forcing Hilltop to feed the Saviours as well as the constant bickering and backstabbing of Gregory and I think theres plenty of plausible reasons to see her demeanor shift considerably.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #2100
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Sure, but it's jarring for the audience to just present these things the way they did. It just felt a bit forced to me.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote