Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #1121
RW99
First Line Centre
 
RW99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 225 313 317 Heritage Classic G
Exp:
Default

Does anyone know what happened to Salt & Pepper on MacLeod? Doors locked and the website is down? It did it happen awhile ago and I'm just finding out?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #1122
Esoteric
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Esoteric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Salt & Pepper on MacLeod? Doors locked and the website is down? It did it happen awhile ago and I'm just finding out?
Website's down, Facebook is down, not appearing on Google Maps - I think they're out of business for good. Must have been over the summer some time, last review I see is Mid-June.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #1123
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

If anyone is into food trucks, definitely check out Shahba Shawarma if you see it. I tried them yesterday and the food was incredible. I had a chicken shawarma with garlic sauce. Their story is a really great one too:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4219168/s...y-fresh-start/

I also tried Zilford's Fried Chicken last week. Also really good, although I found that their seasoning rubs tend to be a little too sweet, or they're using course sugar that just doesn't dissolve enough. Overall it was really good though.

I'm in Eau Claire Tower so it's really great having 3-4 to chose from everyday!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #1124
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Salt & Pepper on MacLeod? Doors locked and the website is down? It did it happen awhile ago and I'm just finding out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Website's down, Facebook is down, not appearing on Google Maps - I think they're out of business for good. Must have been over the summer some time, last review I see is Mid-June.
They had locations in Bowness and Cochrane too. I haven't been past either one in awhile. Too bad if they are gone, I enjoyed their food.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #1125
Esoteric
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Esoteric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
They had locations in Bowness and Cochrane too. I haven't been past either one in awhile. Too bad if they are gone, I enjoyed their food.
I know the one on McLeod wasn't affiliated with these restaurants - http://www.saltnpepper.ca/

They have the Bowness and Inglewood locations, and have pretty good food.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #1126
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Salt & Pepper on MacLeod? Doors locked and the website is down? It did it happen awhile ago and I'm just finding out?
Went once years ago and it was the worst food i have ever had. Bye Bye
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #1127
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
If anyone is into food trucks, definitely check out Shahba Shawarma if you see it. I tried them yesterday and the food was incredible. I had a chicken shawarma with garlic sauce. Their story is a really great one too:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4219168/s...y-fresh-start/

I also tried Zilford's Fried Chicken last week. Also really good, although I found that their seasoning rubs tend to be a little too sweet, or they're using course sugar that just doesn't dissolve enough. Overall it was really good though.

I'm in Eau Claire Tower so it's really great having 3-4 to chose from everyday!
Thanks for letting me know about that Shahba ill have to get them ago next time they are dt. Zilfords is my favourite food truck, little pricy and the lava juice isnt that hot but still delicious.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #1128
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Interesting story on the challenges restaurants are facing in this city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4700438/c...ndustry-shift/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #1129
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting story on the challenges restaurants are facing in this city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4700438/c...ndustry-shift/

That's a big hit. They're likely losing monthly too. I was involved in a restaurant in the NE that did a huge reno as well. They spent 600k, were trying to sell for 300k and finally gave the keys back and lost everything. It looks to me like lots other restaurants are soon to fall...which is totally weird because I was told in no uncertain terms that a 15 minimum wage would trickle up into more customers in more restaurants. I feel so mislead.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #1130
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting story on the challenges restaurants are facing in this city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4700438/c...ndustry-shift/
Unless you have a ton of disposable income these days, eating out just makes no sense. $8 beer. $20 burgers and fries. That's just crazy talk if you ask me.

My wife and I have dramatically cut down on how often we out - to about once a month maybe. And would maybe go for drinks a couple times a month but only during happy hour.

It just felt like we were flushing way too much money down the toilet.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #1131
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Unless you have a ton of disposable income these days, eating out just makes no sense. $8 beer. $20 burgers and fries. That's just crazy talk if you ask me.

My wife and I have dramatically cut down on how often we out - to about once a month maybe. And would maybe go for drinks a couple times a month but only during happy hour.

It just felt like we were flushing way too much money down the toilet.
You should try El Furniture on 8th Ave. Everything is $5.95. It's not the worst food either.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #1132
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You should try El Furniture on 8th Ave. Everything is $5.95. It's not the worst food either.
Food is average at best and beers were $6+ with no drink specials.

We went for lunch and I had to get 2 'entrees' and was still a below average amount of food.

I'd be more interested if even drinks were $5.95 and the food was bigger portions.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #1133
Scorch
Scoring Winger
 
Scorch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Exp:
Default

Zilford food truck hasn’t been seen for a while.

This is what I found in the streetfoodapp:

Quote:
Sorry, we don't know when Zilford's Fried Chicken will be open next. We last saw them on September 28, 2018 at Eau Claire Tower (3 Ave & 5 St SW). Check back soon
Scorch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #1134
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting story on the challenges restaurants are facing in this city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4700438/c...ndustry-shift/
The realtor's listings listed in the link are sad - so many new places failing. So many places on sale for almost nothing. The listings are vague about the locations, but I saw many NW pubs for sale, a new diner in Kensington, and a certain place in Priddis.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #1135
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

I'm not saying the restaurant market isn't tougher than ever, but maybe don't spend $1 million to renovate into a super fancy place when the market doesn't call fro it? Everywhere downtown has done this, and I think they've priced a lot of people out of the reason they are there...food and drink.

A place like The Belfry spent a crapload to re-do it, then a couple years later shut down and was completely re-done as Paper St. It was perfectly serviceable as it was, but they blew a bunch of cash for no reason. And I still prefer it back when it was the dump known as Murphs. Cheap burgers and beer.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #1136
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not saying the restaurant market isn't tougher than ever, but maybe don't spend $1 million to renovate into a super fancy place when the market doesn't call fro it? Everywhere downtown has done this, and I think they've priced a lot of people out of the reason they are there...food and drink.

That's pretty easy to say knowing what we know now. These reno's were done years ago and made sense looking at it from 2014-2015. The way to stay competitive used to be having a great design and interior along with a kitchen that could accommodate volume. Now the way to survive is team up with two or three other restaurants and share a space so you can drive down overhead. That wouldn't have ever crossed your mind a few years ago.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #1137
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Food is average at best and beers were $6+ with no drink specials.

We went for lunch and I had to get 2 'entrees' and was still a below average amount of food.

I'd be more interested if even drinks were $5.95 and the food was bigger portions.
It's a restaurant group from Vancouver. In Vancouver $6/beer is normal, as are smaller portions. Even then, the Furniture group restaurants are largely frequented by students and people in their early 20s. The food gets revamped from time to time and ranges from barely edible to decent.

Calgary still has cheaper places that haven't been driven out of decent quality. I can't see "the furniture" model working there. Last time I was there, I went to the brewery district, which had much better options and $3-4 beers.

I used to live around the corner from one of their restaurants. I'd go there if I wanted a couple of beers and cheap wings. It was also a good place to have a few drinks before going somewhere else. The vibe can be fun, as they have rock music playing and other patrons tend to be pretty drunk and friendly.

I would never actually recommend one for quality of food though. Your assessment is pretty correct.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #1138
Baron von Kriterium
Scoring Winger
 
Baron von Kriterium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I walked by Avenue Deli the other day on the way to the optometrist. The deli was closed sadly. It was always busy when I ate there. I noticed over the years that the prices kept going up and the serving size kept going down. Too bad. I enjoyed their sandwiches.



I asked the optometrist what's going in the empty space. He said it will be a weed shop.
__________________
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
H. L. Mencken
Baron von Kriterium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #1139
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

I really noticed almost every restaurant I go to has really gone down is quality and quantity. You can really see the focus on saving money. Really sucks but money has to come from somewhere.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #1140
lazypucker
Powerplay Quarterback
 
lazypucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

I do notice a few higher-end, trendy places are opening - Greta Bar, Mister Chen (thanks for the ad right on here at CalgaryPuck), plus another Kinjo opening in Signal Hill. I am not sure if the economy is that good for opening new restaurants...
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016